SQLite Manager - Extension for Firefox, Sunbird, Flock, etc.

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mrinal.kant

SQLite Manager - Extension for Firefox, Sunbird, Flock, etc.

Post by mrinal.kant »

This extension can help you manage any sqlite database on your computer.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING ON THIS TOPIC HERE.

Project homepage: http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/

FAQ: http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/wiki/FAQ

Screenshots: http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager ... creenshots
Supported Applications: http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager ... plications

Google Group for discussion on this extension: http://groups.google.com/group/sqlitemanager

For filing a new bug, you can visit http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/issues/entry
To see the existing bugs, visit http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/issues/list

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING ON THIS TOPIC HERE.
Last edited by mrinal.kant on May 1st, 2008, 5:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
shantanuo

Post by shantanuo »

1) On 800 * 600 pixels setting, I can't see the 15% of the right screen. If I change it to 1024 * 768 then I can see the entire screen. But I prefer the 800*600 setting.

2) I will like to see the "Export to CSV" option added as soon as possible.
shantanuo

Post by shantanuo »

INSERT INTO `City` VALUES (1,'Kabul','AFG','Kabol',1780000);
INSERT INTO `City` VALUES (2,'Qandahar','AFG','Qandahar',237500);

I tried to run these two statements from world database for testing purpose. It seems that Execute SQL box does not allow more than one statement at a time. How do I run two statements one after other?
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

Mozilla Sunbird uses the mozStorage system to store all calendar data in a sqlite file. Would it be possible to make your extension work in Sunbird too? For example it would be nice if I could open the profile database storage.sdb from within Sunbird with one click to examine it.
mrinal.kant

thanks for ur feedback

Post by mrinal.kant »

shantanuo wrote:1) On 800 * 600 pixels setting, I can't see the 15% of the right screen. If I change it to 1024 * 768 then I can see the entire screen. But I prefer the 800*600 setting.

2) I will like to see the "Export to CSV" option added as soon as possible.

1) the problem in 800*600 setting is solved in ver 0.2.7.3
2) tables can be exported to csv in ver 0.2.7.3

This version will be available soon. I have already submitted it. It is pending for review.
mrinal.kant

Post by mrinal.kant »

ssitter:
let me install mozilla sunbird and have a look. I hope to implement that soon.

shantanuo:
SM does not handle multiple statements yet. But I will implement it in a couple of days. Sorry for the wait until then.
shantanuo

Problem Solved

Post by shantanuo »

I just noticed that the latest version is available. Thanks.
Travicane

Cross Patform - Windows XP and Ubuntu 7.10?

Post by Travicane »

Hi

Has this Plug-in been tested to work in the Ubuntu 7.10 version of Firefox. It is not in the install list of the Ubuntu 7.10 Firefox add-on tool.

I installed it with no errors from the Firefox Add-ons site. I have not yet installed SQLite, since I am sttll working out the dependencies in Synaptic.

I am running dual boot systems (home network) and want to set up several simple (home/computer/media) database management solutions that can be accessed from both XP and Ubuntu 7.10.

If you know that this plug-in will not work under Ubuntu Firefox, please let me know and save me from wasting my time. If nobody has tried this, let me know and I will install SQLite and the Plug-in under both Windows XP and Ubuntu 7.10, and provide an update on how everything works.

I think Google Apps are starting to show that that a browser based approach for multi-system/multi-platform users is pretty attractive. Some of the Google UI is still pretty clunky, but companies (including Google) and individuals working in this space seem responsive and nimble when addressing real user interests.

Regards

Travicane
mrinal.kant

SQLite Manager on Ubuntu

Post by mrinal.kant »

Hi Travicane,

I tried on Kubuntu 7.04 + Firefox 2.0.0.6. It worked fine. The installation of both OS and browser was done from the internet. That, however, does not answer ur question. Beyond this, I cannot tell whether it will work on Ubuntu 7.10 or not. Would love to know that.
mrinal.kant

sunbird is supported

Post by mrinal.kant »

ssitter wrote:Mozilla Sunbird uses the mozStorage system to store all calendar data in a sqlite file. Would it be possible to make your extension work in Sunbird too? For example it would be nice if I could open the profile database storage.sdb from within Sunbird with one click to examine it.

1. version 0.2.8.0 now installs as an extension for Sunbird.
2. however, profile db list is shown empty. You can use open database command to open thesdb file. In the next version, there will be a preference for default extension

thanks for the suggestion.
mrinal.kant

version 0.2.8.2

Post by mrinal.kant »

Version 0.2.8.2 contains the following new features.

New:
- The sql on "Structure Tab" can now be copied
- "Empty Table" option available to delete all records from a table
- Context menu: right-clicking on a record displays Delete, Edit options
- Context menu: right-clicking on a table, view, etc. displays Delete, Edit options
- execute tab: textbox to show last error added
- execute tab: no. of records fetched are displayed on top of the result tree
- browse tab: you can now browse and search a View like you could do with a Table
(thanks to shantanu and mrtech for suggesting these changes)
shantanuo

Post by shantanuo »

Is it possible to display the 2 additional features on 'execute tab' viz. textbox to show last error and no. of records fetched on status bar?
It is consuming too much real estate and I can see less number of records than before.
mrinal.kant

Post by mrinal.kant »

shantanuo wrote:SQLite does not allow 'drop column'.

If you what make complex changes to the structure of a table, you will
have to recreate the table. You can save existing data to a temporary
table, drop the old table, create the new table, then copy the data
back in from the temporary table.

For example, suppose you have a table named "t1" with columns
names "a", "b", and "c" and that you want to delete column "c" from
this table. The following steps illustrate how this could be done:

BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE x1(a,b);
INSERT INTO x1 SELECT a,b FROM x;
DROP TABLE x;
CREATE TABLE x(a,b);
INSERT INTO x SELECT a,b FROM x1;
DROP TABLE x1;
COMMIT;

I will like the above mentioned macro to appear under 'Alter Table'
option of 'Execute SQL' tab.

Thanks again for your interest and suggestion. The above quote is from the mail you sent to me.
I hope Version 0.2.8.3 (will be available in a couple of hours) solves the above problem plus provides the following new features

- Copy Table: copies with complete fidelity now preserving the schema info. Earlier, copy was implemented through "create table newname as select * from copiedtable". This did not copy the schema properly.
- Add Column: in the structure tab, where columns are shown, add column button is provided (implemented using ALTER TABLE tabname ADD COLUMN ...)
- Drop Column: now you can drop columns from existing tables. The drop column button is available for each column under the structure tab.

Warning for Drop Column: sqlite does not support drop column; so we actually drop the table and again create a table with same name minus the dropped column; therefore, drop column will result in loss of associated indexes, triggers and any schema info that is not available through pragma table_info query. Since most of the tools for sqlite implement this feature even more weakly than this, it was considered alright to implement it as above. For simple cases, there will be no problem at all.
mrinal.kant

Post by mrinal.kant »

shantanuo wrote:Is it possible to display the 2 additional features on 'execute tab' viz. textbox to show last error and no. of records fetched on status bar?
It is consuming too much real estate and I can see less number of records than before.

Yes, I agree. I hope to have things other than the result tree collapse/expand. Should be done soon.
mrinal.kant

Post by mrinal.kant »

Please wait for version 0.2.8.5. It is the same as ver 0.2.8.4 except that a regression has been fixed regarding the context menus

New in Version 0.2.8.4:
- Under Browse & Search tab you can now select multiple records to delete.
- Deleting does not display a dialog now. You just get a confirmation prompt now.
- If you find confirm prompts very annoying, you can switch them off through the options dialog for some queries. If needed, ability to switch off confirms can be extended to queries not covered yet.

Bugs fixed:
- right-clicking on Tables, Indexes, Triggers was giving 'Create View' or 'drop view' options. Fixed.
- there was an issue with the drop column option. It appears that the column names should be enclosed in double quotes to work correctly. Fixed.

once again, thanks to shantanu oak for suggesting all the above improvements.