Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
durf786

Configuration problem

Post by durf786 »

I was changing my "Junk Mail" settings for several accounts in b2, and I had to press OK and exit configuration after modifying each account.

I apologize if this was already posted. If someone would tell me a reasonably easy way to find out what's already been posted, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
KittyFishnets

Tags AND Labels

Post by KittyFishnets »

Call me greedy, but I want both tags AND labels.

Like many, I used labels in a GTD type system. A single key press (1-5) and I had categorized the email: Done, Action, Waiting, etc. Another key press and it was recategorized. A message was Done or needed Action, it couldn't be both. Simple, powerful and incredibly efficient.

Tags, on the other hand, allow me to associate emails to projects. This was a crucial missing component. And as an email often references multiple projects, having multiple tags per message works great. New projects and topics will always come up, so having unlimited tagging options is great.

But these are two different systems, each with a different purpose. Why can we only have one? I would like up to nine modal labels (shortcuts 1-9) and unlimited tags (no shortcuts required -- although a type-ahead popup box would be better than using the mouse).

Please don't take this as a complaint. Thunderbird stays open on my computer pretty much 24/7. I live by this program and would be lost without it! :)

Thanks,
Dan
sonrider

Address book fields

Post by sonrider »

I am not sure where else to post this but I have a suggestion.When the address book is open, I have a heading for name, e-mail, home & work phones, titles, etc., but not city or state. When I am traveling, it would be nice to be able to sort by this criteria also. Thnx
mikedixson

Tags

Post by mikedixson »

Hi all,

Like many of you I've been using Gmail for a bit now and find some of the methods useful for handling mail. I've been playing around with the nightly builds of TB to see if it's possible to replicate those features I'd like to.
Tags (formely labels) have some benefit and using saved searched to display messages with certain tags is very useful. However there are two things I'd like to see done with tags in the near future:
1/. Make the tag colour configuration allow you to set the font and background colours.
-Presently only being able to choose the font colour leaves only a small amount of realistically usable colours as many become hard to see against a white background.
2/. Make the filters be able to *remove* tags as well was add them.
-It would be nice to be able to dynamicaly both add and remove tags from mails depending on the criteria of a filter.

On the filter side I'd love to see a Eudora like regexp option available in the filters set up.

Many thanks
Mike
mikedixson

Post by mikedixson »

oh, and I'd also like to be able to use "groups" in the address book. Outlook Express and other mail clients have encorporated this feature for a while.
I'd love to be able to have a saved search for instance that showed all mails who's from headers were in a "friends" address book group I'd created but not in the "mailing list" group I'd created (the later could be based on mailing list style headers possibly).
f2hfrankenvrij

Post by f2hfrankenvrij »

I used to be able to set thunderbird to take my incoming/outgoing message adresses automatically to my adress book.
No more so
Cannot find where to configure that.
Please inform me. It is easier (my spam settings work wonderfull) to delete the one or two not wanted adresses than manually having to type like 30.
Please information,
already thanks
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

f2hfrankenvrij,
Are you using version 2beta1? If not, if you are using the current release rather than a test build, you do not belong in this topic. Ask your question once in Thunderbird Support.
alijava

Random Tags

Post by alijava »

pja wrote:feedback based on continuous use for the last few weeks.
(version 2 beta 1 (20061206) on Ubuntu Breezy!)

Tags:
- Occasionally as I read messages they become automatically tagged with a random tag irrespective of if they have been previously tagged or not. To cure this I have to restart TB.
- Where is Edit Tag?

- New theme is great

I have been using various versions of TB and in all of them every now and then I get this problem. Clicking on a message will automatically tag it. I really like the tag feature and I like the fact that filters can auto tag messages but this random tagging is disrupting that.

thank you for any help.
Lost User 291882

Post by Lost User 291882 »

For what it's worth, here's some feedback on the tagging issue: I discovered I can't live without labels.

After I recently upgraded to 2.0, I reverted back immediately to 1.6, as soon I understood (thanks to this thread) that tags had replaced the semantics of color-coded labels.

I have nothing against tags. But with the volume of email I receive, I've grown to rely on the combination of filters and colored labels to help me prioritize my attention at a glance. Given the limitations of the filtering system's boolean capabilities (no OR, no complex algebra), I developed a fall through system whereby messages get scanned by multiple conditions, with the label applied by the last true condition as the prevailing one. Thanks to colors associated with labels, this works really, really well for me.

However with the new system of multiple permissible tags, my filtering becomes meaningless. I wind up with messages with multiple tags with no way to specify an overriding tag or color.

I was tempted to move to 2.0 by a few features (e.g. alerts), but I've decided that labels are just too critical for me. I'll stay with 1.x for as long as I don't have an alternative.

For what that's worth.
appreciative

Clear junk log no longer works until new session is started

Post by appreciative »

Back in 2003, someone mentioned that the "clear junk log" did not work until s/he closed the current Thunderbird session and went back in.

This was not the case for me in the years I've had Thunderbird (2 or 3) until this new version. Has it reverted to a problem people were having 4 years ago?

I also noticed that although I was able to clear the log after restarting Thunderbird, it had then cleared the logs for all my associated mailboxes. I used to be able to look them over individually and then clear them.
EdhelDil

Post by EdhelDil »

Lost User 291882 wrote:For what it's worth, here's some feedback on the tagging issue: I discovered I can't live without labels.

After I recently upgraded to 2.0, I reverted back immediately to 1.6, as soon I understood (thanks to this thread) that tags had replaced the semantics of color-coded labels.

I have nothing against tags. But with the volume of email I receive, I've grown to rely on the combination of filters and colored labels to help me prioritize my attention at a glance. Given the limitations of the filtering system's boolean capabilities (no OR, no complex algebra), I developed a fall through system whereby messages get scanned by multiple conditions, with the label applied by the last true condition as the prevailing one. Thanks to colors associated with labels, this works really, really well for me.

However with the new system of multiple permissible tags, my filtering becomes meaningless. I wind up with messages with multiple tags with no way to specify an overriding tag or color.

I was tempted to move to 2.0 by a few features (e.g. alerts), but I've decided that labels are just too critical for me. I'll stay with 1.x for as long as I don't have an alternative.

For what that's worth.

I believe you could put several action in your filter: first one gives "0" (to delete all tags) and the next one put the "value" you want.

Hope this helps (I didn't try it myself...)

EdhelDil (this my first post here ... please forgive me if it is not 100% appropriate)