Ubuntu 7.04/ 7.10 / 8.04/ 8.10 - After Installation Tips.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Gutsy has blown me away with the changes.
Picked up most of the settings of Firefox and Feisty during installation.
Removed Dapper sweetly and left Feisty as the "Other Operating System."
Still tweaking but it seems to be holding it's own.

They call it "Gutsy" but I don't know if i have the "guts" to put it on the Wife's computer as of yet.
She's still going for the power switch in mid stream sometimes.

Anyone figured out if Ubufox, once removed, creates an update able configuration of Firefox and whether it derails the internal browser.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
frcan

Post by frcan »

steviex wrote:Cheers mate.... frcan, is this what you are using ?

:oops: Sorry Steviex, I missed your question :( I have an internal dial-up modem. No DSL in my region, unfortunately ](*,)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If you use the restricted module under Ubuntu Gutsy there's support in the repositories for the PCI modems now. It may be in the third party or Ubuntu partner repository.
Might be on the disc haven't looked since the serial is still working under Gutsy.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
frcan

Post by frcan »

^Thanks for the hint. Didn't get a chance to see if I could find what you are mentioning. I have an installation problem now. As I couldn't find a way to get my modem going, I uninstalled Gutsy a while ago. I tried to re-install 3 times. Each times it blocks at 82%, when it gets to "configuring apt - scanning the mirror". I let it go for more than an hour. It wouldn't complete the installation. With Feisty you can skip this step, but not with Gutsy. I will start from scratch by formatting the external drive and partitioning again. Will see where it takes me.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

For those with some sound issues my installation didn't add the "esound" package. Try installing that before you scream nasties. Also you will have to reboot. I noticed a lot of the configurations now require a reboot after installation. Also make sure you have the OSS packages as well. They've changed the sounds for the games to ogg so you'll have to swipe the wav files for the system event sounds (if you have a penchant for odd sounds) from feisty or elsewhere.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Some display issues may occur in removing some files or packages you don't need or would use. In some cases the glyphs and icons may be linked to packages which become disabled after the package is removed. I could be off in left field but had this occur. Try unsetting and restting configurtaion values as a change may have occurred but not registered in the GUI. I got my menu icons back after they disappeared by unchecking and then immediately rechecking "/Preferences/Appearance/Interface/Show Icons in menus" Block.
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Just tried it and upgraded my work computer. The same as I have seen with virtually every upgrade attempt so far: "dependency problems" and it all ended with "your system might be unusable".

After booting I seem to be on Gutsy and the system seems to be usable so far, but they really need to improve that a lot still.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Most of the problems I've had with Gutsy have been my fault so far. Tried removing things which I prefer not to use and accidentally made the window close, resize and minimize icons in the upper right of the window disappear, got it back with out a complete reinstall. So far everything is working fine. Still have some tweaking. Noticed some open and close issues with the software. You have to be on line before you open Firefox for some reason or it doesn't seem to connect properly. Close and reopen changes that. Seems to be a few "close and reopen" issues. Xsane worked pretty good along with Gimp and most of the smaller utilities are now back in order after I bolexed them up.
So far so good.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Thunderbird/Gutsy Tip:
No option for the install was given in the Ubuntu Gutsy version of Thunderbird and the offline/online status option is in the package but the default was to be on line and going for the mail. If you wish to have the Query in the beginning when you start Thunderbird change the setting in /Preferences/Advanced/General/Config editor.
"offline.startup_state" change from a 2(two) to a 1(one). This enacts the option and a panel will pop up each time you open TB and ask if you wish to go online or not.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Mouse Tip:
If you've had this happen it can be disconcerting. I haven't found the cause but I have a fix.
When using the Mouse GUI in /Preferences/Mouse, Gnome control center or the Assisted inputs when moving the slider for the "mouse cursor acceleration" it will snap back to the lowest end of the slider and your mouse cursor will have a severely retarded motion or acceleration. You can fix this in the Configuration Editor under System Tools. You can either do a find for "mouse" and bring up all the mouse related settings and look for your self but the direct route is /desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse. You'll want to "edit" the "motion acceleration" key.
When you first look at it it will probably be a 17 digit decimal fraction similar to 0.20000000034680048.
Change it to a whole number 1 or 2. You can play with it a little but 1 or two seems safe.
I don't know why this seems to act this way but do not want to blame the software since I've been "moving" things around a little and may have knocked the milk off the table. :wink:
hhh

Post by hhh »

Does anyone know how to get rid of that awful flex when you wind up a maximized window? It's like the whole bar pukes for a second.

*edit* - scroll up, collapse the window to the title bar.
jimgyzzmo

Firefox freezes with Gutsy Gibbon

Post by jimgyzzmo »

I installed Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) and had very few problems that I did not create. One thing that I noticed is FF is Freezing up after the second page is opened. Only way out is forcing a close and reopening. then I immediately delete the first page of the last session and continue. Using a tab page does not seem to cause the freeze. At first I thought that it might be pages with scripts running (getting to be most pages now), but if that was case it would happen in tab also. A friend updated after me and is having same trouble.Maybe Gutsy Gibbon is using more memory than previous editions and it runs out of memory?
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

I was positively surprised by this tip for speeding up the GNOME menu.
http://www.marksanborn.net/linux/speed- ... con-delay/
hhh

Post by hhh »

^^^I figured it out, some Compiz setting I can't recall.

On another note, currently the 5th link down (How To:...)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=li ... tnG=Search

For my taste (novice), the article is unclear in some respects...

~I installed everything via Synaptic. If you can find the URL of a station, it doesn't matter what streaming audio station you're hearing, you can save it (automatically named ARTIST-SONG.mp3 !!) I'm listening to a Cool-Streams station now via Amarok (a little Drum & Bass actually, Electrosoul System). Right click the currently playing title, choose Track Info and copy the URL. In Ubuntu, go to Applications>Sound & Video>streamtuner, then Stream>New Preselection..., paste the URL and add some info and save, stop any music playing. Now "Tune In" to the Preselect in streamripper and hit record. You have to keep the Terminal running, but you can close streamtuner. Files are saved in folders named after the radio station, by default to "/home/USER_NAME/", i don't know why he added "stream_mp3s" (the radio station folder(s), maybe?). In streamtuner's "Edit>Preferences" I changed the "Apps>Record a stream" entry to "x-terminal-emulator -e streamripper %q -r -q -d /home/hhh/Music/", which saves the folders/files to Music instead of hhh. -edit- Click another Action before you close Preferences to make the pref stick. I'm using xxms as a player, and can eliminate any gap between songs I'm listening to live via xxms' Options.

BTW, I think it's Multiverse you need.
steviex

Post by steviex »

^ I usually use Rhythm Box for my podcasts.... It does the job nicely
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.