Local folder is full. What are local folder size limits?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Brad_Banerd

Local folder is full. What are local folder size limits?

Post by Brad_Banerd »

I have a local folder which is now over 4.2 Gig in size and I am getting a message from Thunderbird that the folder is full. What is the size limit that triggers this message?

I am running with large folders because of Thunderbird's powerful search capability.
Alternatively I will have to split my folders but that makes searching more difficult.
It I do split I would like to make sure I do so with an awareness of what Thunderbird's size limit is.

For X1 by the way I do know that I have to keep folders below 1 Gig or it does not index them so that is one threshold I need to get below if I split my local folders. That is because after splitting it becomes more difficult to use Thunderbird's search and I will have to switch over to Google Desktop, X1, or Coppernic.

Thanks for any advice on Thunderbird local folder size limit.

:Brad

trolly

Post by trolly »

Moving to Thunderbird support ...
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_%28Thunderbird%29
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... ved_Search

A folder is limited to 4GB. I suggest you split the folder into multiple folders, and then use a saved search to create a virtual folder thats larger than 4GB. That might let you bypass the 4GB limit since a saved search doesn't effect where/how the messages are stored. If that works please let me know and I'll add a note to the article on limits.

I recommend that you try to keep your folders a lot smaller (unless you never move or delete any messages in them) because if they get badly corrupted its an awful lot of work to try to recover each message. A large folder than you delete messages in regularly (like a inbox) is at most risk of corruption.
Last edited by tanstaafl on November 16th, 2007, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Out of curiosity, exactly what does it say the size of your folder is? I'm wondering if it exceeded 4GB due to using the definition of a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes rather than the 1,000,000,000 bytes definition.
Brad_Banerd

Post by Brad_Banerd »

Thank you for the very fast responses. The actual folder size indicated is 4,195,013 KB.
Yes, this is a local folder taking a feed through filters from the inbox so mail in the local folder is rarely deleted.
I will go ahead and split into smaller folders distinguished by quarter instead of annual as I do now.

:Brad

el_mariachi

Re: Local folder is full. What are local folder size limits

Post by el_mariachi »

I was wondering if the folder limit has something to do with the max file size of a file on a fat32 partition?
trolly

Re: Local folder is full. What are local folder size limits

Post by trolly »

You are answering an old dead thread. If you have a problem please make a new thread. Locking this one.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.