[Ext] Fission 1.0.9 [May '09, discontinued Sept '10]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
zeniko

[Ext] Fission 1.0.9 [May '09, discontinued Sept '10]

Post by zeniko »

Fission combines address bar and progress bar -- Safari style, as did Fusion.
See Fission's homepage for further information.

Download/install Fission 1.0.9
This release works for Firefox 3.0, 3.5 and 3.6.

Firefox 4.0: I won't support Firefox 4.0 or later. If you're a developer and want to add Firefox 4.0 support yourself, please post a message to this thread. Otherwise please use the Status-4-Evar extension instead.

Note: Some themes might break when you install Fission. If that happens for you, please contact your theme's author and ask him/her to adapt the theme for Fission (have a look at this post for what modifications might be needed). I only use the default theme under Windows and won't be able to help you.
Last edited by zeniko on March 23rd, 2011, 10:13 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Branstrom

Re: [Ext] Fission 0.8.9 [Sep 25]

Post by Branstrom »

On Ubuntu with Firefox 3 (Gran Paradiso, 3.0a8) Fission does not use the images I specify (either in userChrome.css or in the extension preferences). It instead makes the whole background look like a giant native-looking progressbar. I'm hoping this will be an easy fix...

Screenshot of the problem at hand
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Just a detail, Zeniko, but I think we should have
.progress-bar {background-color: transparent !important;}
by default, when using an image (.png notably)
Don't you think ?
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Branstrom: Fission hasn't yet been adapted for Firefox 3 at all. You might get better results with the next version (due somewhen after the first beta's been released). Should the issue persist, I'll need some debugging help, as I only have access to a Windows box.

pirlouy: I'll look into it for the next release (provided it's possible without an <code>!important</code>).
sh0rtbus56

Post by sh0rtbus56 »

would it be possible to have the fission image stick after the page finishes loading (but still show progress when page is loading) ? even better, have the image fade to opaque when it finishes loading...
i really love fission :)
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Branstrom: If your issue persists after updating to version 0.8.10, then it's most probably an issue with the theme you're using. As this looks like Firefox' default theme for Linux (which isn't available for Windows), you might have the best chances for help in the themer's forum.

pirlouy: Version 0.8.10 should fix your issue.

sh0rtbus56: For the first request, you'll have to add the following line to your userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

#urlbar[fission="fusion"] > #statusbar-icon[value="100"] { visibility: visible !important; }

As for fading the progress bar out, that quite surely won't happen on my watch...
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Ah... You have heard about all bugs which will prevent Firefox to be correct so you have decided to stop working on extensions and fix 700+ bugs. I'm proud of you Zeniko ! ;-)
sh0rtbus56

Post by sh0rtbus56 »

thanks zeniko
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Anybody using this focus-hack or wanting to test a new feature: Please enable the hidden pref <code>extensions.fission.enableFocusHack</code> (introduced with Fission 0.8.11) and report any issues you encounter. This pref temporarily disables the active-link and connection status in address bar features while the address bar is focused. As a consequence, you should have more space for the address and won't risk losing your edits when you accidentally move your mouse. This behavior will become the default (and the pref will vanish again) when I don't get any (more) bug reports...

pirlouy: Actually it's rather my real-life job which prevents me from more than the occasional bug fix in the extensions I'm using, I'm afraid. :(
DavidRegev

Post by DavidRegev »

zeniko wrote:Anybody using this focus-hack or wanting to test a new feature: Please enable the hidden pref <code>extensions.fission.enableFocusHack</code> (introduced with Fission 0.8.11) and report any issues you encounter.

I was going to post two minor bugs with the snippet, but your update thankfully fixed one of them. Here are the steps to reproduce the other, with the connection status enabled in the address bar:
  1. Stop a page load before completion. This should leave the last status message displaying.
  2. Click directly on the status message. This will remove the message and focus the address bar.
  3. Click outside the address bar. Result: Status message remains hidden.
  4. Switch to a different tab.
  5. Switch back to that first tab. Expected result (based on the first result): Status message remains hidden. Actual result: Status message returns.
I don’t know if the first result was intended, but it’s a nice feature, useful for clearing the status message. The bug is that the two results are not consistent with each other.

Thanks.
rioting pacifist

Post by rioting pacifist »

I realise you are busy so this is probably more for anybody who uses this extention and would be able to modify it abit:
i think it would be really useful to combine some sort of link alert extension into this extension so that the icon by the link in the address bar will show if it going to open a new window/type of page/secure. the homepage for 1 such extention is <a href="http://conlan89.googlepages.com/">conlan89 - Conlan's Home Page</a>

p.s thank you so much for this extension i now enjoy being fully informed about the state of my browser with only 2 bars open
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Dawudd wrote:
  • Click outside the address bar. Result: Status message remains hidden.

I'll probably rather get rid of this bit of your StR. Hiding the connection status by clicking on it really just was a meager work-around for it not being automatically hidden when the address bar was focused. OTOH consistently implementing what you ask for will IMO require more code that such behavior would be worth.
DavidRegev

Post by DavidRegev »

zeniko wrote:I'll probably rather get rid of this bit of your StR. Hiding the connection status by clicking on it really just was a meager work-around for it not being automatically hidden when the address bar was focused. OTOH consistently implementing what you ask for will IMO require more code that such behavior would be worth.

Well, I was asking more for consistency than for that particular feature. So, fine with me. :)
Relativity_17

Post by Relativity_17 »

I thought this extension was a useless Apple gimmick, but after installing it, I rarely find myself missing the status bar. It pretty effectively augments the functionality of the location bar itself. Two things to make it better, though the first one doesn't need to be an actual feature, since I bet we can do it now.

1). How do I change the color of the hovered link text in the location bar? Right now, it takes the same color as the location bar text, but I would like to change it to a lighter grey.

2). It would be great to have different icons based on the type of link, i.e. a powerpoint icon for a link to a .ppt file, or a PDF icon for .pdf links, etc.
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Relativity_17 wrote:1). How do I change the color of the hovered link text in the location bar?

See the third CSS snippet in the styling section at Fission's homepage.

Relativity_17 wrote:2). It would be great to have different icons based on the type of link

That should already be possible as well thanks to CSS3 selectors. Basically you'll just have to add the following rule for every extension (in this example: .pdf) and replace the <kbd>URL</kbd> bit with the addresses of appropriate 16x16 pixel graphics:

Code: Select all

#urlbar[fission-link$=".pdf"] #page-proxy-deck { background: url(URL) !important; }

rioting pacifist: You can distinguish secure links in a similar way - just replace <code>javascript:</code> with <code>https:</code> in this snippet and modify the desired rules for either text color and background or the proxy icon (as in example 2 above). Unfortunately it's much more difficult to get information about where the link is going to open -- but maybe one of the other readers of this thread might be able to help you with that request as well.