Dictionary Fix extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Rod Whiteley

Dictionary Fix extension

Post by Rod Whiteley »

The Dictionary Fix extension fixes some common problems with spelling dictionaries in Thunderbird 2:<blockquote>Dictionary Fix</blockquote>It can restore dictionaries that disappear after an upgrade, and it can install new dictionaries from a variety of sources, even if they are not packaged for Firefox/Thunderbird 2.

Dictionary Fix is intended to be used temporarily—once your spelling dictionaries are working, you can uninstall it.
Rod
JimmyMack

Re: Dictionary Fix extension

Post by JimmyMack »

Rod Whiteley wrote:The Dictionary Fix extension fixes some common problems with spelling dictionaries in Thunderbird 2:<blockquote>Dictionary Fix</blockquote>It can restore dictionaries that disappear after an upgrade, and it can install new dictionaries from a variety of sources, even if they are not packaged for Firefox/Thunderbird 2.

Dictionary Fix is intended to be used temporarily—once your spelling dictionaries are working, you can uninstall it.

I updated both TB and Firefox, and this dictionary fix ain't working with the new Firefox!!

What to do?

TIA.

JimmyMack
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

The extension is not designed to work in Firefox. See the knowledge base: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries#Troubleshooting
Rod
mrmandala

Thanks

Post by mrmandala »

Thanks for this fix, bugged me briefly but the powers of Google lead me to your fix. Cheers
andypep

Post by andypep »

Dictionary access to thunderbird failing.

PCLinuxOS 2007, Thunderbird 2.0.0.6

Installed dictionaries from mozilla site locally (en-GB and eo) => no sign in thunderbird

Installed as root => still no sign

Installed dictfix as root. It found a problem, said it had fixed it => dicts appear now in user profile in TB

But when switching to the other dict, all words marked as misspelled.

Uninstall dictfix as root, and re-install it => no problems found.

Where should I try next?
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Perhaps permissions are wrong for the installed .dic and .aff files. Does root have the same problem?
Rod
andypep

Post by andypep »

Spot on, Rod. Installing under root has left them read by root, but no one else.

chmod +x fixed it.

Thanks.

Andy
insaner

Post by insaner »

hi, im getting an "internal error, code: 6F".. i still dont have neither dictionaries nor dictionary fix working.. (i dont think ive ever had dictionaries working in thunderbird, no matter what version) current version of tb: 2.0.0.6, fedora core 4...

...help?
insaner

Post by insaner »

ahhh!!! ok.. i figured it out.. seems like some of the paths mentioned all over the mozilla help are wrong! geeeze.. so this is where to place the dictionary files:
/usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.6/dictionaries

NOT:
/usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.6/components/myspell/

good grief, charlie brown!
BigGeoff

Post by BigGeoff »

I tried using Dictionary Fix and eventually it worked but the only way I could make it do so was to down load the dictionary as an xpi file and let Dictionary Fix install it for me, the usual methods don't seem to work. At last - spell checking!!

Geoff
maximegrandchamp

"Cannot copy file" error message

Post by maximegrandchamp »

Hi,

I try to use the extension to install a dictionary using Tools / Install Dictionary but I get the following error message:

"Cannot copy file"

I'm on Linux with Thunderbird 2.0.0.6

Thanks for your suggestions.

Maxime
mtz1of4

Post by mtz1of4 »

Rod, I wanted to pass along a thanks.
Someone I was helping had issues with the latest update to TB an the dictionary while running Vista and he told me your add-on fixed his problem.

Thanks for your work.
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

Awesome! Thank you, thank you, and thank you some more. :)