Missing plugin: "application/x-oleobject"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
allotrios

Missing plugin: "application/x-oleobject"

Post by allotrios »

I tried to listen to some music online from SIRIUS, and, unexpectedly (because it's worked fine for me before) it gave me the message that there was a missing plugin: "application/x-oleobject". I understand that this is an ActiveX plugin and normally comes installed with Windows; perhaps Firefox disabled it when it updated to 2.0.0.11? Naturally, the first thing I did was allow Firefox to search for it, and it came up empty-handed. (Which is unsurprising; I think the new version of Firefox does not in any way endorse ActiveX conrols.)

I found a place ( http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm#download ) where I can download the plugin, but it clearly warns against downloading a version that does not match your version of Firefox, and version 2.0.0.11 of Firefox is just as clearly not listed.

I also understand that I could use a Windows Media Player 11 plugin in lieu of the ActiveX, only Windows Media Player will not (and has not for some time) complete its update. It comes close to finishing, then tells me that for some reason, the update failed. I have downloaded the new Windows Media Player plugin for XP/Vista anyway, and it did not appear to help. I have also tried to simply download the full Windows Media Player 11, but it will not install, saying that my Windows XP operating system failed validation! At this point, I'm becoming quite frustrated.

The last thing I tried was disabling AdBlockPlus and Flashblock on sirius.com. It threw me for a loop (only not really) when those final measures of desperation did not work.

Can anyone please tell me where I can find an appropriate version of the ActiveX plugin, or something I can use in place of it? (As I also understand that it is a security threat - gods, why would SIRIUS use something so confoundedly stupid and hard to accommodate as an OLE object?? It only works with Windows, and what if MAC users wanted to listen to the music they paid for online? Uy.)

Thanks for any help provided!

- Allotrios
"How's business?"
"Oh...I think I need another drink."
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I can't imagine they would intentionally serve Firefox an ActiveX control. Do you use either User Agent Switcher or anything else that might hide the Firefox user agent string from Sirius or show that you are using IE? In some cases, privacy products or security suites might do this.
allotrios

Post by allotrios »

Hoo boy, I'm afraid I haven't the faintest idea of what User Agent Switcher is (and thus it is unlikely that I'm using it). Is that a program that disguises Firefox as Internet Explorer? If so, then I'm certain I don't use anything like that.
"How's business?"
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

If you go to this page, does the framed page toward the bottom recognize that you're using Firefox?

http://dev.jeffersonscher.com/jstest.html

Browser "User Agent" string: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11

(Note: it's intentional for that page to make the window jump to the top left corner of the screen.)
allotrios

Post by allotrios »

Yes; word for word and number for number!

Should I use something that disguises Firefox as IE? Because (and I only just found this out, because I never ever think to use IE) Internet Explorer is opening and streaming the media from SIRIUS.
"How's business?"
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

allotrios wrote:Should I use something that disguises Firefox as IE? Because (and I only just found this out, because I never ever think to use IE) Internet Explorer is opening and streaming the media from SIRIUS.

I think that would make it worse. Maybe submit a support request to them explaining the problem and see what you hear back.
allotrios

Post by allotrios »

That sounds reasonable; thank you for your help and the suggestion!
"How's business?"
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Does this add-on work? MediaWrap - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1879

Re: Missing plugin: "application/x-oleobject"

Post by Guest »

MediaWrap causes immediate crash on loading a x-oleobject content
James

Re: Missing plugin: "application/x-oleobject"

Post by James »

Thats nice but this thread is from back in early Dec 2007 several months before Firefox 3.0 came out.