[Ext] Fission 1.0.9 [May '09, discontinued Sept '10]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
funTomas

Post by funTomas »

Zeniko, may I suggest some features? I don't code so I'm not sure if the followings are feasible:
- add optional percentage in the centre of the progress bar (hope, it's easy)
- beat Safari and show progress bar of upload (important in the age of Web2.0). The vision is that the progress bar is divided horizontally - upper half for downloads, bottom one for upload - the progress bar rendering actually consists of 2 transparent bars. Well, I'm not sure whether there's an API for upload progress bar.
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

funTomas: See this post for something like your first request. Your second request is with the current APIs quite difficult to say the least. Anyway, since I don't have much time for development at all, I won't really come to even consider your suggestions (though at first glance I'm not convinced they'd really add value to Fission since they'd make the currently quite clean UI more crowded).
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

As of this version (0.9) selecting a color no longer modifies the gradient image color... Using FF 2.0.0.11 and a simple grayscale PNG.
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

RealityRipple wrote:As of this version (0.9) selecting a color no longer modifies the gradient image color... Using FF 2.0.0.11 and a simple grayscale PNG.

It's normal (explained in the first page). You can either choose a color, either choose an image. If you want different color for your image, you can use an application like Photoshop or Paint.Net to change your image.
DavidRegev

Post by DavidRegev »

I have two more issues for you, one æsthetic and one just a minuscule bug, both related to a great little feature I mentioned in the old thread:
Old Dawudd wrote:The current behaviour has the useful property that one can quickly “copy & paste” a link into the address bar simply by hovering over the link and pressing Ctrl+L. Thus, focusing the address bar should leave whatever text is currently displayed there but disable the active link feature (and reset the displayed favicon).

Fission currently does exactly this, except for the ‘reset the displayed favicon’ part. Pressing Ctrl+L while hovering over the link leaves the active link icon in the address bar, rather than resetting it to whatever is normally displayed when one edits address bar text. (I currently work around this with <code>#urlbar[fission-link][focused="true"] #page-proxy-deck { background-image: url(chrome://global/skin/icons/folder-item.png); }</code>.)

The bug I mentioned is that the aforementioned feature continues to work after the address bar has been focused. So:
  1. Focus address bar.
  2. Hover over a link.
  3. Press Ctrl+L.
  4. Expected result: the current text in the address bar gets selected, and nothing else. Actual result: The hovered link gets copied into the address bar and selected, erasing whatever was being edited beforehand.
This is obviously going to occur rarely, if ever, but Fission seems to be out of any more real bugs. :-D

Thanks.
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

RealityRipple wrote:As of this version (0.9) selecting a color no longer modifies the gradient image color...

Sorry for the inconvenience! Unfortunately I haven't found a different way to allow images to let the golden background of secure sites shine through.

Dawudd wrote:Pressing Ctrl+L while hovering over the link leaves the active link icon in the address bar, rather than resetting it to whatever is normally displayed when one edits address bar text.

Fixed for version 0.9.2. The active link icon should now behave as the favicon does.

Dawudd wrote:
  1. Focus address bar.
  2. Hover over a link.
  3. Press Ctrl+L.
  4. Expected result: the current text in the address bar gets selected, and nothing else. Actual result: The hovered link gets copied into the address bar and selected, erasing whatever was being edited beforehand.

Fixed as well. BTW: Nice bug report - that's my favorite format!
DavidRegev

Post by DavidRegev »

zeniko wrote:Fixed for version 0.9.2. The active link icon should now behave as the favicon does.

The behaviour that you've implemented is not exactly what I had intended, but I like what you did a lot better. Alas, I’ve found a bug with it:
  1. Hover over a link
  2. Ctrl+L
  3. Switch tabs
  4. Switch back
  5. Expected result: The tab’s address bar has the same text and (active link) icon as before. Actual result: The text and icon are reset to those of that page.
zeniko wrote:BTW: Nice bug report - that's my favorite format!

I’m glad I could help. :)

By the way, do you have any plans to include in the options a check box for a native-ish progress bar?
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Dawudd: I guess that's where I'll draw the line. I could probably rationalize it as "when you switch tabs, the current tab's address bar loses the focus", but things currently start to feel a little too edge-casey for my taste. ;) BTW: There another similar bug which happens when you focus a different window (at which point the address bar loses the focus together with the window although you might not expect that, either).

Dawudd wrote:By the way, do you have any plans to include in the options a check box for a native-ish progress bar?

Currently not, for several reasons. Please help yourself with some CSS until I change my mind...
DavidRegev

Post by DavidRegev »

zeniko wrote:I guess that's where I'll draw the line. I could probably rationalize it as "when you switch tabs, the current tab's address bar loses the focus", but things currently start to feel a little too edge-casey for my taste. ;) BTW: There another similar bug which happens when you focus a different window (at which point the address bar loses the focus together with the window although you might not expect that, either).

Well, it’s not about focus, but inconsistent behaviour: switching tabs normally does not reset address bar text. But, yes, it’s certainly an edge case.

In any case, I just discovered that this tab-switching bug extends to the active link text on mouse-over as well. More generally: after switching tabs, if the pointer is now found to be hovering over a link, that link will not be displayed until a minimal amount of pointer movement. Thus, the active link behaviour does not start functioning until after the pointer has been moved. In fact, before movement, the mouse cursor remains what it was in the previous tab, which seems to be a Firefox bug. This leads me to believe that much of this bug is Firefox’s fault.

On that note, here’s yet another tab-switching bug I’ve noticed before, but have just now figured out how to reproduce. I thought it might be due to the Firefox address bar focus bug you had mentioned a while back, but it seems unrelated.
  1. Middle-click on a link
  2. Switch tabs (if middle-clicking didn’t do that for you)
  3. Switch back to the first tab
  4. Expected result: address bar displays current location. Actual result: address bar still displays original active link (until the pointer is moved over another link). This result re-occurs if steps 2-3 are repeated. Workaround: unfocus the original clicked link, such as by clicking elsewhere on that page.
Update: This seems to be how Firefox handles focused links in the context of tab-switching. This strange behaviour just happens to be more prominent when displayed in the address bar. Again, Firefox’s fault.
Last edited by DavidRegev on June 21st, 2008, 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aronin

Post by aronin »

Nit: The status messages that display at the right-end of the address bar is not centered vertically. Its more near the bottom. This is with the latest nightly build (Fx3Beta2).
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Mac users: Please don't expect Fission to support Firefox 3.0's new theme anytime soon. I won't be able to adapt it and thus rely on a kind themer to do it for me (or rather: for you). All help is welcome!

aronin: This should be fixed in version 0.9.3.
marcoas

Incompatibility with WellRounded addon

Post by marcoas »

If I install both add on: WellRounded ( http://wellrounded.mozdev.org/ ) and fission, the address bar is corrupt.

Only this. Great job

I use WinXP SP2. Ffox 2.0.0.12
deadman36g

Post by deadman36g »

Is there a way (perhaps with chrome edit) to be able to have the progessbar in the status bar with fission installed?
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Mac users: I've added tentative support for the latest iteration of the new Firefox 3.0 Mac theme (using Proto under Windows). Please give it a whirl and provide feedback with screenshots should you encounter any issues.

marcoas: Yeah, try Stylish and an appropriate style instead.

Deadman36g: Why would you want that, considering that Fission is mainly about moving the progress bar to the address bar?
deadman36g

Post by deadman36g »

zeniko wrote:Mac users: I've added tentative support for the latest iteration of the new Firefox 3.0 Mac theme (using Proto under Windows). Please give it a whirl and provide feedback with screenshots should you encounter any issues.

marcoas: Yeah, try Stylish and an appropriate style instead.

Deadman36g: Why would you want that, considering that Fission is mainly about moving the progress bar to the address bar?

I personally would like to have it in both places.