Newbie : All my icons on desktop are the same Firefox logo..

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
cheapread

Newbie : All my icons on desktop are the same Firefox logo..

Post by cheapread »

sorry guys , bet you are blue in the face from this - I did try search forum first but no joy ....

I'm new to Firefox - trouble so far is that all my icons are the same - e.g. if I browse to yahoo - the normal icon is a big red Y - If I drag this to my desktop - it changes to the little fox Icon - and so do all others , so that I end up with a Desktop full of lil ol' foxes - Likewise if I drag an icon to the address bar, it is of a plain dull A4 sheet icon - and so are all other I drop to this Address bar -
There is a huge amount of gumf about downloading suite of icons related to Firefox and complicated instructions on how to use them ....surely that's not what I am after , is it....all that is beyond my ken -
any simple answer please guys ?

dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The only way to do that would be to download the favicon (Tools > Page Info > Media) and change the icon in the Properties of that shortcut.
cheapread

Post by cheapread »

MANY THANKS for replying, much appreciated - I will do that -
happy christmas!
dmck5

Post by dmck5 »

dickvl wrote:The only way to do that would be to download the favicon (Tools > Page Info > Media) and change the icon in the Properties of that shortcut.

Thanks for this info. But if that's the only way, surely this has to be considered a Firefox bug!

At least I found a faster method than this when using Firefox. To get a properly decorated link on my desktop I drag it from the Firefox address box to an Internet Explorer window. I then drag it from there to the desktop. The favicon then appears as you would expect.
cheapread

Post by cheapread »

'fraid I agree - I've tried the above tip from dickvl and find it ....not easy...to figure out- and as for dragging it to IE and back again to desktop, can't be bothered - pity - I like my foray into firefox but
IF it cannot do simple yet supremely useful little gui helps like the right icon for URLs then back I go to IE with cap in hand - all the support software is for geeks who are severely into code and stuff - what about 'keep it simple stupid' or is firefox an eclectic taste.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

IE is part of the Windows operating system and knows how to set that icon.
Firefox is a multi platform application and the only way to do that is to drag an url on the desktop or create the internet shortcut yourself.