[Ext] superT 0.7.9 - tab browsing extension for Fx&Flock

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.

What feature do you want most?

Option to select left tab after closing
6%
Compatibility with latest Firefox trunk builds
44%
Support for Firefox's new tab bar scroll buttons
31%
More tab clicking options
19%

Total votes: 16

MacTed

problems list?

Post by MacTed »

Any chance you might provide a list of known issues with FF 2.0, and an updated installation download, even with warnings and caveats?

I've just tried Tab Mix Plus, as it's compatible, and, well, I'm terribly disappointed.

I much prefer SuperT + Tab X -- but neither is espected to be compatible with FF 2.0 for months at the least.

I may be willing to live with whatever problems SuperT has -- if it delivers my preferred features (and yes, that includes the lack of conflict with SessionSaver.2, which has itself just been patched for 2.0.)

Thanks for your time.
s1kevin

SuperT and FF 2.0

Post by s1kevin »

What would it take to make this great extension work with FF 2.0?

Post by ******** »

i could modify the installation files so that it will install on Fx 2.0, but there will be problems.
if you want that, just ask and i will upload a version will just the version compatibility number changed, but all the other code will remain the same.

i don't have time to change all of my implementations so that they will work with Fx 2.0.

if any extension developer wishes to work on it, you're more than welcome. just make sure to keep my name in the credits as one of the extension authors.

if you wish to modify this extension will numerous changes so that the superT name would not reflect the modified extension, you may rename your modified version and put your name as the author while retaining mine in the contributors list.

please contact me for permission before submitting any modified versions to any extension repositories, such as addons.mozilla.org
MacTed

but... what problems?

Post by MacTed »

[quote="desertfox"]i could modify the installation files so that it will install on Fx 2.0, but there will be problems.[/quote]
I'm running with SuperT *now*, cheating with the Nightly tools, and I'm seeing very few issues. There's a largely cosmetic issue, where the active tab may be "outside" the window. And ... that's all I've noticed.

What am I missing?

Post by ******** »

that's it.

you don't need nightly tools to "cheat"

just type in about:config and change extensions.checkCompatibility (case sensitive) to false.
macintel

Post by macintel »

Where is the update for Firefox 2.0? I love this extension. It soundly beats all the Tab extensions extensions I have tried.

Thanks to the Author

Post by ******** »

MacTed

Post by MacTed »

desertfox --

SuperT is a great piece of work. It satisfies many, many users. I confess to not understanding the need for a new name or a radically changed feature set, given that the only existing conflicts with FireFox 2.0 are the largely cosmetic failure to keep the active tab within the window and the version checking.

I'd be very happy with a short-term solution as you've described here -- changing the version checking in the installer -- but I'd strongly advise a version bump and an update to the main page of this thread, describing the current state of play.

If you could fix the one real issue SuperT has with FF2.0, you'd keep all your existing users happy.

I'll be happy to look at your new Tabberwocky when/if it comes along, but I'm not sure I'm going to want or need to switch -- especially if it takes away features I like. Also, as you've said this is not coming until (maybe) this month, or (more likely, it sounds like) February -- updating SuperT as described here will keep us all patient and satisfied during the wait!
hodges

Post by hodges »

Ok, I uncovered a problem with FFv2 & SuperT & SessionSaver 0.2patched -- if one re-starts a window that'd been saved by SS, and that has more tabs than can be accomodated on the tab bar, the obscured tabs are not loaded and remain "untitled" and blank. Uninstalling SuperT fixed this. Unfortunately, there's somethings about SuperT I really like and FFv2 doesn't have. eg the two-column tab picker as opposed to the scrolling tab picker (ugh).

Another general issue I noted with SuperT on FFv1.5.0.n and on FFv2 is that the tab bar multiple rows don't appear until the bottom most row is halfway filled with tabs, rather than appearing when the first tab is pushed "over the edge" of the current bottom most tab bar row, fwiw/fyi. It's only annoying, but would be nice to have fixed (in tabberwocky or whatever).

i'm running on winblows xp.

thanks.
=JeffH
bigstusexy

Post by bigstusexy »

I'm not sure about all its features but since the latest upate to 1.5 and 2.0 in general break SuperT I have moved on, just recently I found the one feature that I use in SuperT is located in Tab Mix Plus (they don't advertise it) that is multi row tabs. TMP has a tone of other features so I'd check it out, do be warned it has compatibility problems with other plugins but most have listed work arounds and TMP is still very very active in development.
hodges

Post by hodges »

Hey bigstusexy, thanks for the tip. Since I posted wrt SuperT last back in Nov-2006, I've been living without it and just using the builtin FFv2 capabilities (only sorta ok for windows with lots of tabs, but oh well). I'll re-check-out Tab Mix Plus, thanks.
=JeffH
IntelliMoo

Why?!

Post by IntelliMoo »

Why won't he update for FF 2 again? I must have missed something.

Post by ******** »

hey guys
i'm pleasantly surprised to see that there are still many users / fans of this extension.
i'm now a senior in high school
that means i have college apps to complete.
that unfortunately means that i won't be doing any work on any extension development until at least winter break (beginning of 2008)

it was a great experience making this extension back in 2006.
it was great learning how to make an extension and being able to help other web users have a better web browsing experience.
as i have already explained a couple times, superT was written for Firefox 1.5 and Firefox 2.0 alpha 1
When Firefox 2.0 beta came out, the Firefox developers totally changed the game on their tabbed browsing interface.
that meant that superT could no longer function properly.
it would require a complete rewrite to make it work correctly.
i was excited that Firefox 2.0 included several built-in tabbed browsing features that many users, developers, including me, had been advocating.
unfortunately, that also meant that Firefox 2.0 made superT obselete.

the release of Firefox 3 beta 1 opens a new chapter.
if you guys want to see a new, improved superT, please reply to this post.
you may request features; however, you must realize that in order to rebuild superT, i will have to strip superT down to almost nothing.
that means that all the different tab bar options will temporarily be taken out.
all that will remain will be some basic tabbed browsing options and a toolbar button to set your options.
yes, i said there would be a toolbar button.
work will not begin on a new superT until people have replied to this post with ideas, suggestions, or even offers to help program it.

meanwhile, check out this extension that i was able to put together in my over-one-year hiatus:
Add-ons Sidebar
feedback would be useful.

cheers.
george27

Post by george27 »

Sounds great. I was a TBE user and what Tab Tree is missing is the tab clicking fuctionality that Super T provided. What would be nice is the tab scrolling that Jomel's Too Many Tabs! or TabOverflowScrollbar. With out going into tab mix plus what would be nice is quicktabpreftoggle ability to have a single window and the ability to open links, bookmarks, history. all open unfocused. Tabkit again is great in it's group (former tbe) feature but i really is lacking in the Super T and other mentioned features. TIA
eXXile

Post by eXXile »

Hi desertfox,

I would like to see a rebuild of superT. :-)

The features which would fit my needs:

• new tabs opens right beside the current tab
  • select the left tab when closing a tab
  • undo closed tabs button
  • multi row tabbar
  • min. and max. tab width
  • mouse clicking options(e.g. double-click closes the tab)
  • mark tabs as unread (not important, some user css do the same)
  • don't close window when closing the last tab
  • open new tabs from bookmarks, group of bookmarks, history, search bar ...