How do I Get rid of the new Zone Alarm Ask Jeeves Toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Travicane

How do I Get rid of the new Zone Alarm Ask Jeeves Toolbar

Post by Travicane »

I recently acquired an unwanted "SNEAKWARE' Toolbar in Firefox

I installed the latest version of Zone Alarm yesterday. They have a pre-checked box for a free Spyware Stop Utility.
I have used Zone Alarm for several years and went with trust.

As it turns out --a serious mistake!

I let it install this so called "new feature" - it turned out to be a totally unwanted Ask Jeeves Toolbar installed in FIrefox, There appears to be no way to uninstall it!.
If there had been any disclosure of this fact during the install process, I would have unchecked the box. I have absolutely no interest in an ASK Toolbar.

It appears a Security company that I had trusted, has inflicted me with "sneakware"
This is unforgivable!
Now I know somebody is going tell me I should have read, from start to finish, the same multi page Agreement that I thought was no different from the previous 4 0r 5 updates.
A serious change in third party licensing terms was not presented upfront, and in clear language - i.e. a significant, possibly uninstallable change to Firefox.
"Are Lawyers Defining the Product"?

IT GETS WORSE:

This Toolbar does not appear in the FIrefox Add-ons drop down, like the Google Toolbar, and my other selected Add-ons.
I have no intention of ever using Ask (the UI, appearance, and results seem clunky and poorly presented to me). I tried to get rid of this toolbar.
To date I have found no way to get rid of this piece of crap that Zone Alarm has added to my Firefox configuration (I can hide it, but it is still there, and that irritates me)

I also tri to avoid products or companies that need sneaky methods to get software on my computers.

I seems I will likely have to re-install Firefox (and all of the Add-ons I actually wanted), just to get rid of this piece of crap ASK toolbar!
Both companies should be ashamed of themselves for such sleazy marketing tactics.

FINALLY, I HAVE some QUESTIONS:

* Has anyone figured out a way to uninstall this unwanted ASK tool bar -None of my standard Firefox options seem to work to get rid of this unwanted crap.
* Are there any rules regarding Firefox/Mozilla tool bar, and other add in functions (and their uninstall) - have ZoneAlarm/Checkpoint made even a passing attempt to follow them?
* It would seem that a clean and clearly defined uninstall process would be fundamental for browser integrity.

Before being inflicted with this piece of crap, I had never downloaded an add on to Firefox that was not simple to uninstall (in the event I did not like it, or find it useful).

To me, it seems that the desperate marketing scum at ASK, or the cheap change venal marketing scum at Checkpoint, may have subverted Mozilla License Terms in some manner.
(I actually think Zone Alarm stared out with a moral center, and was much better before acquisition).

Sneaky and Underhanded appears to be their most recent persona - not something one looks for in system security!

Regards

Barbicane
Orphu of Io

Post by Orphu of Io »

I hadn't heard of that toolbar until now. A Google search revealed many understandably angry users. I did not find much information about the Firefox version of the toolbar, however. ZA has definitely made a big mistake.

It's curious that it isn't displayed in Add-ons. That makes me suspect that it may not have been installed as an extension. Perhaps they modified core files in Firefox itself. I can't know for sure.

You could try uninstalling Firefox from add/remove programs, delete the "Mozilla Firefox" folder in "Program Files", and reinstall the official Firefox release. Your profile- bookmarks, extensions, settings, etc.- will remain untouched; profiles are stored in Documents and Settings and are not removed when uninstalling.

If that doesn't work, we can certainly explore other options.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
steviex

Post by steviex »

Try the suggestions in this article here.... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_add-ons
You will probably need to use the Manual method....

Note that some extensions install into the Extensions Folder of the Installation Directory(the one under Program Files)
rather than the Profile....(If so then Orphu of Io's fix will kill it)

Also have a look to see if it is in Windows Add/Remove Programs list.....

If we can't shift it we may need a clean reinstal, and you might also like to consider voting with your feet on the Anti-virus front.....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Orphu of Io

Post by Orphu of Io »

steviex wrote:Note that some extensions install into the Extensions Folder of the Installation Directory(the one under Program Files) rather than the Profile....(If so then Orphu of Io's fix will kill it)

In this case I thought it might be worth a try since that bugger isn't in Add-ons. Seemed easier to try that first and then dig through the profile's extension directory.

I assumed three scenarios: 1) It was installed into the profile's extensions directory. 2) Installed as a global extension in the program directory. 3) Modified or replaced JAR files. In the first two cases, they would have had to somehow hide its appearance in Add-ons. I suppose one could do that easily with CSS. Might try safe mode and look at the add-ons...

I figured a uninstall-delete-reinstall had a 2 in 3 chance of succeeding. :) I guess we'll see.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
steviex

Post by steviex »

Yup.... Thought I'd cover all the rest of the places it might be hiding..... I think they may face a backlash over this, like FaceBook did, when it tried installing software that was unsolicited.....
Indeed, lets see what transpires.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

It appears a Security company that I had trusted, has inflicted me with "sneakware"
This is unforgivable!

I agree, the last company I would expect to pull that crap is a Firewall or Security vendor.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If you can't remove it then try to uninstall ZA and reinstall it without that toolbar.
Travicane

Post by Travicane »

RESOLVED! RESOLVED! ----------------- Resolved!

(I could not find any Forum Tool to mark a Forum Topic/Problem, as resolved).

Just a follow up to say that I found a simple solution - I am somewhat embarrassed.

If you LEFT CLICK ON THE ZONE ALARM Logo in the tool bar, it opens a drop down pane that includes an uninstall function.

I still think distributing a browser search tool bar under the guise of a security enhancement is sleazy and underhanded.
A fair amount of Malware has been distributed using just such misrepresentation.

Even if the tool bar is not malicious (I do not think it is), this is a particularly bad way for a security company to prey on the customers trust.

As a result I am now researching alternative Firewalls. Prior to this 'upgrade', I had no reason to even consider such an action.

I have also removed ASK as an option in my Firefox search engine list (I had previously used it occasionally). There are enough options out there that I do not really need to deal with companies that exhibit sleazy behavior.

Regards

PS - for the companies responsible:

[-X Zone Alarm (Checkpoint), and ASK Jeeves
Last edited by Travicane on December 21st, 2007, 10:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Romin-1

Post by Romin-1 »

Better yet, dump ZA and get AVG Free...

Then get RegSeeker here: http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

A short paragraph from the read-me;

"With RegSeeker you can search for any item inside your registry, export/delete the results, open them in the registry". Be sure to read this file in its' entirity.

Now you should be able to find and delete the 'Sneakware'.

HTH

Jon
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
Travicane

Post by Travicane »

Hi Romin-1

Thank you for your input

I actually run both AVG Free and Zone Alarm on my computers. I think both a firewall and an anti-virus program are needed for any real security.

I also run Spybot (Resident), and Adaware every couple of weeks.

In the couple of years I have been running these, I have not had a major Trojan or piece of malware get a real foothold any of my computers. The software has identified, and isolated some attempts, but nothing was able to get control.

I think a good firewall is a necessity for any hope of safe computing - thus the use of ZoneAlarm. I run a home network of 3 computers, with a DSL modem/router with wireless capabilities. Although this DSL box has a firewall function (best used to prevent outside wireless access), each computer attached needs a proper software firewall to ensure the privacy of the internal network,

I agree with you that RegSeeker is a great tool (I also like ccCleaner). I had not got to the point of using these, since I consider Windows Registry manipulation a last resort solution.
It became moot when I actually found the obvious solution (my dumb not seeing it earlier - although I do panic if I see something unexpected in my Browser interface: my earlier experiences of this where always very bad news).

Regards

Travicane
Romin-1

Post by Romin-1 »

Hello Travicane, I have my DSL Box set to high with AVG Resident Shield running on my puters. I Personally I have no need of a second firewall.

As for RegSeeker, with it you input the name of the miscreant and it scans the registry and finds all instances of it. You can then either delete or quarinteen it. It also writes a .reg file so if anything goes wrong you can restore.

I've been using CCleaner for several years and, to my knowlege, it only cleans out junk and extraneous files and maybe fixes a few. It cannot search for an individual file.

Anyhoo, Have a Merry,

Jon
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
steviex

Post by steviex »

Do make sure you back up the registry before you start digging into it.....

Also it is only advisable to one ONE Firewall at a time, to avoid possible conflicts or slowdowns, as the two systems fight over the same files...

I hope you find something that suites you... Comodo is pretty good too....

Ice2k3

Re: How do I Get rid of the new Zone Alarm Ask Jeeves Toolba

Post by Ice2k3 »

Travicane wrote:I recently acquired an unwanted "SNEAKWARE' Toolbar in Firefox

I installed the latest version of Zone Alarm yesterday. They have a pre-checked box for a free Spyware Stop Utility.
I have used Zone Alarm for several years and went with trust.

As it turns out --a serious mistake!

I let it install this so called "new feature" - it turned out to be a totally unwanted Ask Jeeves Toolbar installed in FIrefox, There appears to be no way to uninstall it!.
If there had been any disclosure of this fact during the install process, I would have unchecked the box. I have absolutely no interest in an ASK Toolbar.

This is unforgivable!
Now I know somebody is going tell me I should have read, from start to finish, the same multi page Agreement that I thought was no different from the previous 4 0r 5 updates.
A serious change in third party licensing terms was not presented upfront, and in clear language - i.e. a significant, possibly uninstallable change to Firefox.
"Are Lawyers Defining the Product"?

IT GETS WORSE:

This Toolbar does not appear in the FIrefox Add-ons drop down, like the Google Toolbar, and my other selected Add-ons.
I have no intention of ever using Ask (the UI, appearance, and results seem clunky and poorly presented to me). I tried to get rid of this toolbar.
To date I have found no way to get rid of this piece of crap that Zone Alarm has added to my Firefox configuration (I can hide it, but it is still there, and that irritates me)

I also tri to avoid products or companies that need sneaky methods to get software on my computers.

I seems I will likely have to re-install Firefox (and all of the Add-ons I actually wanted), just to get rid of this piece of crap ASK toolbar!
Both companies should be ashamed of themselves for such sleazy marketing tactics.

FINALLY, I HAVE some QUESTIONS:

* Has anyone figured out a way to uninstall this unwanted ASK tool bar -None of my standard Firefox options seem to work to get rid of this unwanted crap.
* Are there any rules regarding Firefox/Mozilla tool bar, and other add in functions (and their uninstall) - have ZoneAlarm/Checkpoint made even a passing attempt to follow them?
* It would seem that a clean and clearly defined uninstall process would be fundamental for browser integrity.

Before being inflicted with this piece of crap, I had never downloaded an add on to Firefox that was not simple to uninstall (in the event I did not like it, or find it useful).

To me, it seems that the desperate marketing scum at ASK, or the cheap change venal marketing scum at Checkpoint, may have subverted Mozilla License Terms in some manner.
(I actually think Zone Alarm stared out with a moral center, and was much better before acquisition).

Sneaky and Underhanded appears to be their most recent persona - not something one looks for in system security!

Regards

Barbicane

I have figured out how to solve your problem. You just go to your control panel, select programs and features, and find ask. Uninstall and you will be alot happier. I know I was.
Ice2k3

Post by Ice2k3 »

Orphu of Io wrote:I hadn't heard of that toolbar until now. A Google search revealed many understandably angry users. I did not find much information about the Firefox version of the toolbar, however. ZA has definitely made a big mistake.

It's curious that it isn't displayed in Add-ons. That makes me suspect that it may not have been installed as an extension. Perhaps they modified core files in Firefox itself. I can't know for sure.

You could try uninstalling Firefox from add/remove programs, delete the "Mozilla Firefox" folder in "Program Files", and reinstall the official Firefox release. Your profile- bookmarks, extensions, settings, etc.- will remain untouched; profiles are stored in Documents and Settings and are not removed when uninstalling.

If that doesn't work, we can certainly explore other options.

I thought about uninstalling firefox at first so that I could get rid of it, but I found the ask toolbar in the same process as you would uninstall firefox. I went to control panel, programs and features, and found ask, then uninstalled it. It was actually relatively simple, but often overlooked.
Ice2k3

uninstalling ask.com toolbar

Post by Ice2k3 »

control panel, programs and features, find ask, uninstall.