XUL Evangelism Anyone?

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
ajaksu

XUL Evangelism Anyone?

Post by ajaksu »

Well, anyone interested enough in MZ saw that ugly "Open XUL Alliance" newspost and subsequent discussions. Well, if Gerald Bauer has ever done Mozilla any good, it was when he tried to use the lack of XUL evangelism as evidence for his views. Actually, there's quite some material on XUL :turn-l: , both technical and evangelism, available. There's very few "lots of XULs, oh joy":roll: material around, sometimes where you'd never expect it... 8-[

A recent newspost links to "An Introductory Tour of Mozilla's XUL", that really doesn't seem to help stating that XUL==Mozilla's XUL (highlights are mine).
Nigel McFarlane wrote:The free Mozilla platform—that is, the executable engine and libraries that accompany every Mozilla-based product—provides a fully-featured implementation of XUL. This article is a quick look at the main tags that Mozilla's XUL provides.

:shock: That really sounds like the Macromedia XUL crap that G.B posted. "Which XUL are you talking about? Mozilla's XUL" #-o
Nigel again wrote:Rendering support is required if an XML document is to have a visual representation. The platform has rendering support for HTML/XHTML, MathML, optionally SVG, and also its own XUL
:doubt:
Note that Nigel does a great work for XUL, I'm just nitpicking to introduce a evangelization proposal.

Perhaps it's time to promote Image? Or perhaps XULMaker? I'd say it's time for people to spread THE truth and get THE real thing more cited, linked to and talked about than the heretics. Oh, and make'em change their project's name. Spread links to trustworthy sites.

But compare
Luxor aka GB :^o wrote:Luxor is a free, open-source XML User Interface Language (XUL) toolkit in Java released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) that supports hand-picked Mozilla XUL goodies and also includes a ultra-light weight, multi-threaded web server, a portal engine and Apache Velocity as its template engine.
XUL stands for XML User Interface Language and was pioneered by Mozilla. XUL is superior to API-based GUI...
and
The Good Guys wrote:XML User Interface Language (XUL™)

This is the home page for Mozilla XUL™ documentation.

:oops: That's sad.
Why can't it be like
Harry Fuecks(sic) wrote:In one of the Internet’s quieter corners, mozilla.org, a revolution has been taking place. A new XML format, called XUL (eXtensible User Interface Language), pronounced "Zool", is on the way to re-shaping what we know about both the Internet, and desktop applications. A bold claim perhaps -- but once you've finished reading this, you may just find yourself agreeing.
?! That's neat :) Even better, in The Joy of XUL™
Peter Bojanic wrote:XUL™ (pronounced "zool") is Mozilla's XML-based User interface Language that lets you build feature-rich cross platform applications that can run connected or disconnected from the Internet.

Aha! So "Mozilla XUL™ documentation" actually means "Mozilla Mozilla's XML-based User interface Language documentation" :-s

Some people have this "[url=http://www.informit.com/isapi/postid~%7B2F126640-0866-4D82-A048-DB38FAEBB051%7D/st~%7B281272C2-25BA-4446-AEE6-B140B462D2D5%7D/session_id~%7B220A9469-09FD-49B3-A982-3291F2723811%7D/discussion/showComments.asp#{2F126640-0866-4D82-A048-DB38FAEBB051}]XUL ain't no Mozilla XUL[/url]:furious:" agenda, and those people (whose initials usually are GB) are pretty talkative](*,) . Get to know reliable sources and keep an open eye to avoid their corruption.

PS: Zoologia and XUL are totally unrelated :D
Sorry for smilies galore... the voices made me do it :crazyeyes:
ajaksu

Post by ajaksu »

Mozilla Wins XUL Motor of the Year 2003 Award
In the Original Post, someone wrote:Gerald Bauer writes: "The Richmond Post — a news blog chronicling the XUL Revolution — announced the winners of the XUL Motor of the Year 2003 award today [Friday]. Mozilla leads the pack with 98 votes (31%) followed by two Java XUL motors (Swix and Thinlet) and a Flash XUL motor (Zulu)."

Given that Mozilla is the only "XUL motor" on the award shortlist to actually support the XUL specification, it is hard to see how anything else could have won. Unless of course you use 'XUL' to mean any XML-based declaritive markup language, in which case you probably also use 'Java' to refer to any object-oriented programming language and 'English' to describe any language that uses the Latin alphabet.
Well... Mozilla is the only "XUL motor"(sic), but more than two hundred people voted for other "XUL motors"(sic). The fact that XUL is a specific language (and not a class of languages) has nothing to do with how hard anything else could have won this poll: if The Richmond Post keeps on spinning its concept of XUL and nobody argues, how can it be hard to see Mozilla being less voted than other "XUL motors"(sic)?

AlexBishop wrote: Re: Re: support the XUL specification
(...)The Mozilla Application Suite uses the XPFE toolkit (or pseudo-toolkit really), while Mozilla Firebird, Mozilla Thunderbird and friends use the new XUL toolkit (could do with a better name there). They're both XUL though.
Better name and much better marketing strategy ;)

geraldb wrote:All the XUL News Fit To Print
> I don't understand how something from this site even became a news article.

Well, dare I say that the Open XUL Alliance site is the world's leading XUL news site.
Well, Gerald has a point. His XML based user interface description languages site really makes a lot more noise than any real XUL related news. So... XUL evangelism anyone?
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Uhm ... could you say in simple words what exactly the problem is?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
ajaksu

Post by ajaksu »

"Anyone that wants to learn what XUL is has a fat chance of believing in Gerald Bauer's definition, while believing that Mozilla is trying to fool them Microsoft-style." Think someone going to sourceforge or freshmeat and searching for XUL (feel free to try).
Simple enough?
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

It is probably my bad English, but no, not simple enough.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
ajaksu

Post by ajaksu »

No, probably mine...
"XUL is a specific language, not a kind of languages. Spread the word."
Better?
Like in "Evangelism"?
durbacher

What the problem is??

Post by durbacher »

Johann_P:

> It is probably my bad English, but no, not simple enough.

Gerald Bauer is doing the same to XUL what Microsoft did to Java when they made up J++.
He's trying to destroy it by not honoring the open (!) standard, but beginning to call everything XUL that is slightly related to describing an UI using XML.