difference in mail format (mbox vs msf)

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
shengchieh

difference in mail format (mbox vs msf)

Post by shengchieh »

In the seamonkey Mail folder, I noted the mails are in different format. I.e., I see Inbox.msf, Sent.msf, and Trash.msf.
But once in awhile I see Inbox, Sent, or Trash (mbox format). Why does this happens (why mbox files occasionally show
up, but not all the time)?

Also, I noted thunderbird has Inbox, Sent, & Trash (mbox files). Why this difference between the two programs?

I prefer mbox format - easier to read and move around (IMHO). Can I make SM use mbox format?

Sheng-Chieh
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Files with the extension msf are not message (mail) files at all. They are message summary files, indexes for lack of a better term. If you are accessing an IMAP server the messages remain on the email server, not on the local computer, so there is no mbox file. There will still be an msf file so that Thunderbird an keep track of various status values relating to the messages on the server.
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Thank you for replying.

I do use an IMAP server. Is there a way to save your SM emails (create the mbox files???)? I.e., I backup once/twice a week and I want to
backup my emails too. In TB, I copy Inbox & Sent to one of my working directory, rename them (add currentdate), and save the directory.

Sheng-Chieh
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I do not use SeaMonkey so I do not know the options to move IMAP messages to the local drive. It should be very similar to the process you use in Thunderbird but I will ask a SeaMonkey user to offer some assistance on this question.
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Thank for replying. According to (TB instruction, but also true for SM)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP:_advance ... figuration
-> Features
-> 3rd paragraph

>An IMAP account normally only downloads headers to the hard disk when checking for new mail. Your account would have an "Inbox.msf" file but no "Inbox" file.
>When you read a message it is fetched from the server unless its already cached in memory. If you want to maintain a local synched copy of a remote folder use
>"Tools -> Account Settings -> Offline & Disk space -> Offline -> Select folders for offline use". That will store/update a copy of the selected remote folder as an mbox
> file, which you can only see when working offline.

Unfortunately this for the window version. For linux OS, account settings is in edit -> account setting and there is no offline option.
However I found it in edit -> preferences -> offline & disk space -> download message -> yes

Thank for helping. Problem's solved.

Sheng-Chieh
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help but am very glad that you worked it out.