Copying email to external hard drive

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Peter D

Copying email to external hard drive

Post by Peter D »

Is there a simple way of copying email in the Inbox to an external hard drive. Is it possible to copy an Inbox folder to an external hard drive. Thanks.
SK.

Post by SK. »

There are a couple of ways to accomplish what you seek, but which is most appropriate depends on what you want to do with the messages - backup purposes? Moving your profile to another drive? Something else?
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
steviex

Post by steviex »

Try this extension http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

This will let you save messages in a variety of formats.....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Peter D

Copying emails to external hard drive.

Post by Peter D »

SKopischke, I wish to copy them as a precaution against my computer crashing.

steviex. Thanks, but that is completely incomprehensible.

I have just noticed that if I highlight a message then in File go to Save as, I can then save it to my external hard drive. However, I can only re-open it with Outlook Express.

Thank you.
SK.

Post by SK. »

See this page for Thunderbird's Profile Backup FAQ. You might also want to try MozBackup. I have used it for years.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
Peter D

Copying emails to extrernal hard drive

Post by Peter D »

Thanks everyone. It all seems very complicated.
Freee!!

Re: Copying emails to external hard drive.

Post by Freee!! »

Peter D wrote:I have just noticed that if I highlight a message then in File go to Save as, I can then save it to my external hard drive. However, I can only re-open it with Outlook Express.
If you save it as .eml, you should be able to open it with Thunderbird as well and re-import it again using the ImportExportTools extension to which steviex already gave a link too.
Peter D

copying email to external hard drive

Post by Peter D »

Thanks Free!
The ImportExport extension was too complicated. I Saved as an eml., but it will still only open in Outlook Express.

It is a pity that Outlook Express appears to be easier to use than Thunderbird in this respect. Perhaps the designers of the programme will address this significant problem in future versions.

A Healthy and Peaceful New Year to everyone.
Freee!!

Re: copying email to external hard drive

Post by Freee!! »

Peter D wrote:Thanks Free!
The ImportExport extension was too complicated.
The ImportExportTools extension is no more complicated than other add-ons. And add-ons are one of the advantages of Thunderbird (and Firefox).
I Saved as an eml.,
That is a start.
but it will still only open in Outlook Express.
Right-click, select "Open with" and select Thunderbird.
It is a pity that Outlook Express appears to be easier to use than Thunderbird in this respect.
Thunderbird is at least as easy as Outlook Express, but just a bit different (and way more powerfull).
Perhaps the designers of the programme will address this significant problem in future versions.
For you this may seem a significant problem, for others it isn't (and the developers have better things to worry about).
A Healthy and Peaceful New Year to everyone.
And to you too.
Peter D

Copying emails to external hard drive

Post by Peter D »

Free!
Thanks for the perseverance. Hurrah, I can now do it. I downloaded the latest version of Thunderbird (mine was four years old. I right click, it gave the option of choosing a programme to open with. Clicked on Thunderbird and everything is just dandy.
I hope this is a good omen for the new year!
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

Four years old? That must have been version 0.7 or something like that (and high time to upgrade).