Goodbye Firefox

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mkengel

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 3:28 am

4th should read 3rd

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 3:33 am

In other words all you want to do is rant and indeed cannot or will not, give us steps to reproduce the problem. How typical.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

steviex

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 3:42 am

I will give my usual advice here..... If you think it is a bug in Firefox, then Bugzilla is the place to got to look to see what is being done to address the issue.

If you can code, you are welcome to try and tackle the issue, as unlike other Browsers, this IS an OPEN source project, where anyone can contribute...

Bugzilla can be found here... https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
Please note these Bug Filing instructions here.... http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/bugs
and Bugzilla ettiquette..... https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

The Mozilla feedback address is this... http://feedback.mozilla.org/
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

mkengel

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 4:09 am

Thank you shapel for your hint regarding the new profile.

A new profile without anything installed solved the startup problem.
I am going to use now this new profile with gmail and docs.google.com and see if this also solves the problem of CPU usage.

If yes, I am going to reinstall all extensions I had installed one by one and checking if something changes (and yes, I read the page with problems regarding the extensions).

I report back.

mkengel

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 4:42 am

No problems with CPU without anything installed - also access inside GMAIL is much quicker than before.
Bookmarks (many) imported - no problems.

However, put Google Sync onto your list of possibly problematic extensions for everything - I just discovered 3 GB (!!!!) of log files all of them accessed during the last two days, one of the files is even 2GB.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to recommend making a new profile on top of the extension page and re-installing extensions one by one.

Soul Stealer

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 4:47 am

See, now that didn't hurt much, did it? ;)

Too often people are quick to blame FF for problems caused by 3rd party entities. :)
It's like I said.

mkengel

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 5:03 am

Sure, but without complaining, I would be using IE now - which is certainly not something, I would want too.

So, I recommend the following:
ask "complaining people" which extensions they are using
the size of the profile (which brought me to investigate further)
the last time the profile was redone

------
this huge size explains perhaps also something which made me nervous and made me investigating my computer by several trojan checkers - the change of the remaining empty space of my harddisk which varied in the 2-3GB level during an evening without downloading something - probably Google sync was loading and unloading these logfiles

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 7:27 am

MKEngel,
You can request support without making a complaint out of it. If you had done that, you would have gotten the answer faster without a lot of extraneous discussion. The support steps you mentioned one common approach to troubleshooting, although the problem is sometimes approached from a different direction, as in this case.

Have you contacted Google about Google Sync? If it might be their problem, they need to know.

mkengel

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 8:04 am

I have installed the extensions NoScript, DownThemAll, TinyURL creator, Germany dictionary for spellcheck
and I am using FF for several hours (no restart)

-

and the CPU load is back to between 50-90%

mkengel

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 8:08 am

restart FF
->
CPU load 5-10%

you judge

schapel

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 8:16 am

mkengel wrote:Perhaps it would be a good idea to recommend making a new profile on top of the extension page and re-installing extensions one by one.

You go ahead and edit the Knowledge Base the way you think it should be. The information about creating a new profile is all over the place. The catch is that you have to actually read and follow the directions instead of quickly dismissing the suggestions as useless. :roll:

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 8:17 am

Close all the Web sites except maybe one. Go to www.google.com and then sit there. Don't even wave the mouse. If it's still using significant CPU %, there's something wrong and we can look further.

On the other hand, if it's traceable to a particular Web site, then that could be normal. We sites sometimes have programs that just sit there and burn your CPU but do nothing useful.

Do you have any exploding log files now? And take a look at this too: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_prof ... es_created .

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 9:01 am

mkengel wrote:Sure, but without complaining, I would be using IE now - which is certainly not something, I would want too.

Unconvincing justification of wasting people's time with this type of over dramatic 'I'm Leaving' type nonsense thread. You would have received exactly the same advice in a fraction of the time, if you had just asked a normal question like normal people do...in the Support forum. We get this type of nonsense here about once a week http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 07#3189807

Go and do volunteer work for a local children's charity or something. It may teach you that there are bigger problems in the world than just you, your ranting and your busted Firefox.

mkengel wrote:So, I recommend the following:

You are in no position to recommend anything.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 9:43 am

There's a big problem with G-Mail and Flash. If Firefox reports that it is idle, Flash gives it useless work to do by directing it to repaint the screen incessantly. See http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/arch ... buggi.html .

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted January 2nd, 2008, 10:10 am

schapel wrote:After I loaded Gmail and Google docs, Firefox 3 beta 2 on Windows XP was using 0% CPU.

What about Firefox 2? There is a problem with Flash that may not be fixed on branch.

Return to Firefox General