Download certain types of files to specific folder

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FredrikAhs

Download certain types of files to specific folder

Post by FredrikAhs »

Hi!

Like the topic says, I'd like to automate downloads for certain files...

Like, .torrent files should automatically download to c:\torrents, .exe files to c:\downloads, .mp3 to c:\music, and so on...

As far as I can tell there is no native support in firefox for this (Opera has it, but i really don't want to switch browser), so my questions is, is there any extension which can do this?

Thanks in advance!

/F
alterna

Post by alterna »

Maybe: download by rightclick save link

Save Link in Folder 1.3.4 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/613
"So it goes" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the fast reply!

Unfortunately the Save Link In Folder add-on does not work due to most .torrent download links is generated by PHP (http://www.tracker.org/download.php?id=XXXXXX)

I guess what i need is something that intercepts firefox downloads and redirects them... or something.

/F
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You could try either an extension like this one or an external D/L'er such as this one.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your reply!

In Down Them All I can set filters, but they doesn't seem to do anything.

Free Download Manager might work, but as soon as i click a torrent file it just want to start its built in bit torrent manager, and I can't get it to just download the .torrent file.

/F
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Sorry but don't know/use Torrent or DTA.
You can try the DTA bug site for more help,
> http://www.downthemall.net/development/bugs/
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

Post by Guest »

Seems like DTA can't do what I want.

I can't be the only one looking for this feature...

It feels like there should be an extension out there that just lets you specify which kind of file goes where.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Does 'Torrent' not have a Forum of some kind, like this?
> http://forum.bittorrent.com/

Post by Guest »

Yeah, I'll check there as well...

Thank for all your help, really appreciate it!

Still, I'd really like to know an easy way to specify download locations for specific files in FF ;)

/F
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

This article might be of some assistance,
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/File_types_an ... ad_actions

Tools > Options > Content > File Types > 'Manage' button.
Select your file type in the window & click 'Change Action'.
Make your selections in the next screen.
Some thing else to check out.

the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Save Link in Folder should work for you, in addition to the Right-click menu item there is a choice to select the folder right in the download action window. You need to have both the Firefox option and the Save Link in Folder options set to show the download dialog box before saving the download.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Post by Guest »

Thank you so much, save link in folder was what i was looking for!

It would be nice to automate it (click on it and it would download to correct folder automatically) and i still got the feeling it should be something out ther that does it, but this works just fine.

Thanks again!

/F
aviatorUpstream

Re: Download certain types of files to specific folder

Post by aviatorUpstream »

Hello! Dreadfully sorry for necrobumping this thread (some 12 years later...), but I came across it in my search for how to do the same thing, and I have a solution for future travelers!

This will allow you to, on clicking the download button for a torrent file, automatically have it downloaded, with no further interaction, to a folder of your choosing. I am using Windows 10 and firefox 76. The steps are as follows:

1. Create a file named "move_torrent.bat". This file can be located wherever is convenient - I put mine in a folder called "bin" I created in my user directory.

2. Open the file in notepad, and make it contain the following text:

Code: Select all

MOVE %1 "C:\path\to\torrent\folder\"
replacing the path given with the folder path you desire the files to be moved to.

3. Save the file and test it. To test, create a blank text document, and drag it onto the .bat file. If this succeeds, the file should be moved to the torrent files directory. Great! If not, double check that the path you entered is correct.

Now here's where we have to get a little creative - I'd love to say "Hey firefox, open torrents with this script!", but firefox doesn't recognize anything other than .exe and .com files for this purpose. Well, those files and sometimes the windows default app...

4. Right-click a .torrent file. Select "Open With". Check the box to "Always use this app to open .torrent files". Click "More apps", scroll to the bottom, and click "Look for another app on this pc." Navigate to your move_torrents.bat file and select it. If this step succeeds, the torrent file you selected will be moved.

5. Download a torrent file in firefox (if you've set the preference to download that file type without asking, you'll have to go into about:preferences to change it to "Always ask"). When it asks what to do with the file, it should have the windows default - your batch script - selected. Check the box to always do this for .torrent files. (NOTE: this only works from the ask dialog as of now - you can't select the default app from the preferences menu). Check that the file was deposited into the correct location. If it was, success! You're done! If you'd like, test your setup by downloading another torrent.

The way this works is that when firefox opens a file in an app, it actually downloads it to a temporary directory, and then calls the program with an argument of the file path. The %1 in the batch script means "take the first argument and put it here." There is room for improvement in this method - you could check if the destination is available before moving, have a fallback directory if it's not (maybe the networked drive is offline?) and I'm sure a whole set of unknown unknowns. Still - I hope this is useful for someone else!