Fixed: Software Update Failed for Limited User

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Annoyed121

Post by Annoyed121 »

I think that if software is installed for all users, updates should be scheduled for all of them, and if there are problems with limited access, the system say something like "Firefox needs to be updated. Please log in as an administrator."

Currently, if I log in as an administrator and start Firefox, it just forgets about the update and nags again when I use the limited account.

VanillaMozilla wrote:
developers should add this as sticky to their To-Do list.

There's a logical problem here. Ideally, you don't want limited users to have WRITE privileges in the Firefox program files directory. This is for safety, but it also interferes with updates. <b>Also, Firefox doesn't set the rules. If a limited user does not have WRITE access to the program files directory, it is impossible to update Firefox. There is no way around it, and there's no way to change Firefox to avoid the problem.</b>

So, everyone, put your heads together. Just how DO you simultaneously solve all these problems? If you have any ideas, the developers would surely like to know how to handle this.

Tom Jones, I don't know what radio button you are referring to, but a broken user interface is usually one of the easiest bugs to get fixed. You know where Bugzilla is, right? bugzilla.mozilla.org .

Just so everyone realizes how to update on computers with an administrative account, the usual procedure on Windows has been that you should update from an administrative account and RUN IT once from that account. That may have changed after Vista was released.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Update information are stored at different places for each user. So you have to remove these information.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_repor ... st_version
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Annoyed121 wrote:Currently, if I log in as an administrator and start Firefox, it just forgets about the update and nags again when I use the limited account.

Presumably, you either have it set not to update or you don't use it long enough as administrator to check for updates (it doesn't check immediately). By default, it is set to update automatically. If the operating system does not prevent updating and you don't mess with the default, it WILL update automatically -- but it might not happen immediately.