Failed to Connect

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
AS7SE5

Failed to Connect

Post by AS7SE5 »

I installed SeaMonkey. When I attempt to lauch it, I am presented with a "Failed to Connect" message as follows: "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.mozilla.org"

This happens with all anti-virus and firewalls disabled.

This also happens when attempting to go to any web site - (www.mozilla.org) being replaced by (any-web-site) in the error message.

I've uninstalled/re-installed SeaMonkey several times with equivalent results.

I use XL home and a dial-up ISP.

If anyone knows the solution, I'd be grateful to hear it.

Many thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What firewall are you running? "Disabling" a firewall usually means that only the user interface is shut off but the blocking function remains active.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
AS7SE5

Failed to Connect

Post by AS7SE5 »

I'm using the firewall that comes with Windows XP-Home; in the OFF position under the General Tab.
(That's all I know to do.)
AS7SE5

Failed to Connect

Post by AS7SE5 »

BTW, using IE6 works fine.
AS7SE5

Failed to Connect

Post by AS7SE5 »

BTW-2. I just performed the steps indicated for Windows Firewall at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls, but the problem persists.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Trolly, one of the moderators here, has written an excellent utility that will show you all the processes that are running on your machine. Download enumprocess from this page:

http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/tools.html

Then run it on your system. Any process known by the program to be a firewall will be shown in red. You can also copy the program's output and paste into a message here if you need further help.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
AS7SE5

Failed to Connect

Post by AS7SE5 »

I ran ENUMPROCESS which indicated the following file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
(Zone Labs, LLC / TrueVector Service)

I stopped using Zone Labs several years ago and "deleted" it, I thought; I suspect this may be malware.

At any rate I am unable to delete because of "access denied".

I also tried, unsuccessfully, to disable it through Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services/TrueVector Internet Monitor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

No it's not malware, it's just a left over from your previous installation.

Have you tried to uninstall via Windows start | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs ?

Zonealarm uninstall information:
http://www.hackfix.org/software/uninstall/zone.html
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
AS7SE5

Failed to Connect

Post by AS7SE5 »

I deleted vsmon.exe by first renaming it. I was then able to launch SeaMonkey, but it was extremely slow. In fact more often then not it timed out due to the target not responding.

Then I went back to IE6 (too many problems w/IE7) with no speed up.

Then I uninstalled SeaMonkey, restored vsmon.exe, and am back to using IE6 with normal access times.

"Fun" while it lasted.

I thank all of you for your kind assistance and have a great day.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

If you don't intend to run Zonealarm, why re-install vsmon.exe?? Color me confused.
Doug Wilson

Post by Guest »

(therube)

I don't think he did.

Either Zonealarm was not removed correctly originally, or when it was removed, it did not remove itself cleanly - leaving vsmon.exe (& who knows what else) around to bugger things up.

He simply renamed the existing vsmon.exe file.

Found things not much better, renamed it back, & then off to IE.
AS7SE5

Failed to Connect

Post by AS7SE5 »

Confused? Me, too!

However, once I re-installed vsmon.exe
the time degradation and timeouts disappeared.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Sounds like a better solution would to do a complete and thorough removal of ZA. Must still be something in your system looking for vsmon.exe such that when it's not found it bogs things down. That being a ZA file, seems most likely that there is some other ZA vestige doing the looking for it.
Doug Wilson
firefoxfan99

re vsmon.exe

Post by firefoxfan99 »

I have just spent hours trying to get firefox working.
IE7 would load a webpage but not Firefox or Opera.
I found that vsmon.exe in winnt/system32/zonelabs was a running process even though Zonealarm was uninstalled.
After renaming the file in safe mode, I had a look with a text editor and it is a fake, (it uses a file transfer tool called curl from haxx.se amongst other things)
The fake vsmon.exe is 898kb and is dated 26/07/2004.
The directory also has other fake dlls etc.
Firefox (and Opera) are now working again.
Hope this helps some who have this problem.
ffloses-iewins

Re: Failed to Connect

Post by ffloses-iewins »

this problem is all over but no one will give a damn solution to it! if mozilla can't be bothered then i can't be bothered to use it!