How Can I Disable CTRL+ENTER (for adding .com)?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mastavic

How Can I Disable CTRL+ENTER (for adding .com)?

Post by mastavic »

Hi, Everyone,
I hope all is well. I don't know why I haven't posted this in so many years of using Firefox, but I guess it's time to find out the answer. How do I go about disabling CTRL+ENTER and SHIFT+ENTER, which turns whatever text I type in the address bar to a complete .com and a .net address, respectively? I have keyconfig installed but could not find the option to do that.

Thank you in advance,
Victor
Kenny Leong

Post by Kenny Leong »

That's interesting, because those key combinations you mentioned don't do anything to the text in my firefox URL box. Over here, those combinations are doing the same thing as just hitting 'Enter'.
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

When I wrote CTRL+ENTER, I meant hold CTRL and then hitting the ENTER key. Does that add the .com text for you? Seems like I've had this feature on my browser long before Firefox 1.0 was even released.

Thanks for replying,
Victor
James

Post by James »

Well there is the browser.fixup.alternate preference(s) in about:config

There is also perhaps the dotCOMplete extension at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1092 as it may allow to set it to not complete any thing on CTRL+ENTER/SHIFT+ENTER etc.
Kenny Leong

Post by Kenny Leong »

MaStAViC wrote:When I wrote CTRL+ENTER, I meant hold CTRL and then hitting the ENTER key. Does that add the .com text for you? Seems like I've had this feature on my browser long before Firefox 1.0 was even released.

Hi there Victor. oh yeah...... you're right. I only just discovered what you meant, because when I had this...

"http://forums.mozillazine" and then hit those key combos that you said, then nothing happened. But now I see what you mean, after I put something like "mozillazine" and then do those key combos. The shift-enter makes the link a '.net', and ctrl-enter makes the link a '.com'.
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

James wrote:Well there is the browser.fixup.alternate preference(s) in about:config

There is also perhaps the dotCOMplete extension at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1092 as it may allow to set it to not complete any thing on CTRL+ENTER/SHIFT+ENTER etc.

Tried that but it did not work.

If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know. Thank you.
FireFoxFlame

Post by FireFoxFlame »

For those interested in keyboard shortcuts...
http://funkurl.com/nzwh
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

FireFoxFlame wrote:For those interested in keyboard shortcuts...
http://funkurl.com/nzwh

Thanks for posting the link.

According to that site, the commands I'm trying to disable are called "Complete .com Address" (CTRL+ENTER) and "Complete .net Address" (SHIFT+ENTER). Now, how do I go about disabling these two commands? Thanks.
James

Post by James »

^Or the more direct link http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard as there was no need to shorten a short link.

There is also http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Shortcuts

This information can also be found in Firefox in "Help-> Help Contents (F1) -> click on "Keyboard Shortcuts"
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

James wrote:^Or the more direct link http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard

There is also http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Shortcuts

This information can also be found in Firefox in "Help-> Help Contents (F1) -> click on "Keyboard Shortcuts"

Thanks, but I'm confused. Are the links you and FirefoxFlame posted supposed to help me disable the keyboard shortcuts somehow? I am unable to find it on any of the three sites how to disable those specific commands. Thanks.
FireFoxFlame

Post by FireFoxFlame »

No, sorry, MaStAViC; I didn't mean to confuse you, but to be helpful to Kenny Leong and others who might want to use shortcuts. (There are also mouse shortcuts). Sorry James, I was using a proxy, which I neglected to disable, so, too lazy to edit referrer headings, I just Funk'd 'em.

I don't know how to 'disable' this feature, MaStAViC, and wouldn't want to. Why do you? What are you trying to do otherwise or in their place?
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

FireFoxFlame wrote:No, sorry, MaStAViC; I didn't mean to confuse you, but to be helpful to Kenny Leong and others who might want to use shortcuts. (There are also mouse shortcuts). Sorry James, I was using a proxy, which I neglected to disable, so, too lazy to edit referrer headings, I just Funk'd 'em.

I don't know how to 'disable' this feature, MaStAViC, and wouldn't want to. Why do you? What are you trying to do otherwise or in their place?

Thanks for the clarification, FireFoxFlame. I want it the commands (mainly the one for .com) disabled because I use the address/location bar as my search bar as well. My Firefox has been set up so that by default, the address bar is my Google.com search engine field, so I just enter whatever I would like to search directly into the bar. Very often (perhaps around 33% of the time), I hit the ENTER key after typing a term before I let go of the CTRL key (or I am pressing the CTRL key for whatever reason), which affixes ".com" to the term or phrase I just typed, turning the search term into a Web site address instead. This wastes considerable amounts of time (it happens many times every single day), and I have arrived at sites that - well, let's just say sites I do not intend to ever intentionally visit. Please let me know if I did not explain myself well enough. Thank you.
FireFoxFlame

Post by FireFoxFlame »

Hmmm... are you trying to maximize real estate of the top bars? Having separate address and search fields allows you to employ dozens of cool search engines with but a click. Further, when you highlight a word, number, city, disease, whatever, then right click to bring up the Context Menu, whichever search engine is current on your Search bar will appear to enable a speedy phone # lookup, dictionary definition, Wiki explanation, etc. Leaving the address bar in its default state enables the short cut to *.com, *.net, *.org readily. You know you can drag the search bar level with the address, or wherever. You can compress the Menu bar (File, Edit, View, etc.) to a single button. See HERE, (scroll down to the Compact Menu selections). Fx's customization is limited only by our imaginations.

Regards your specific request, sorry, I can't contribute to that solution. Let us know if and how you resolve this.
dorando

Post by dorando »

Try URL Suffix. Note that the current version is actually 0.3.6 (or higher) but the original homepage seems to be unavailable.
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

FireFoxFlame wrote:Hmmm... are you trying to maximize real estate of the top bars? Having separate address and search fields allows you to employ dozens of cool search engines with but a click. Further, when you highlight a word, number, city, disease, whatever, then right click to bring up the Context Menu, whichever search engine is current on your Search bar will appear to enable a speedy phone # lookup, dictionary definition, Wiki explanation, etc. Leaving the address bar in its default state enables the short cut to *.com, *.net, *.org readily. You know you can drag the search bar level with the address, or wherever. You can compress the Menu bar (File, Edit, View, etc.) to a single button. See HERE, (scroll down to the Compact Menu selections). Fx's customization is limited only by our imaginations.

Regards your specific request, sorry, I can't contribute to that solution. Let us know if and how you resolve this.

Your first sentence hits it right on the mark. I have edited my Firefox (since way before 1.0) so that the entire toolbar fits on one thin line (I made it thinner by editing the chrome). I really do not need all the other features you mentioned, as I use the keyword search feature (e.g. "d" and any term searches Dictionary.com for that term), which is much more convenient for me. I've tried compressing the menu bar before, but didn't find it to my liking. I appreciate all the other suggestions, but could be very happy if I could figure out how to just disable the CTRL+ENTER command. Thanks again - please know that I really am thankful for your help.