Lightning and Thunderbird on Linux not behaving

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
beckfield

Lightning and Thunderbird on Linux not behaving

Post by beckfield »

I am in the process of switching over to Linux as my primary OS, and using Thunderbird and Lightning.

Everything installs just fine. Thunderbird is working, Lightning is working. The problem is, the Mail Folders pane and the Calendar pane are being displayed side by side, rather than integrated into a single pane with the task buttons at the bottom.

I can't find any settings that control this, and it doesn't happen in Windows.

I have the following:

Thunderbird version 2.0.0.6 (20071022)
Lightning 0.7
Kubuntu 7.10

I don't know what other information might be helpful to resolve this (I'm a Linux newbie), so please ask if you have questions.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Beckfield
beckfield

Post by beckfield »

Oh, by the way, this does not occur with Lightning 0.5. I have regressed to this version until a solution can be found (although I have a second system to experiment on).
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to the Calendar Forum
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

Since 0.7 the calendar pane is no longer integrated below the folder pane as it was in 0.5. It's now a separate pane and can be enabled via the 'Today Pane' entry in the menus and toolbar buttons.
beckfield

Post by beckfield »

ssitter wrote:Since 0.7 the calendar pane is no longer integrated below the folder pane as it was in 0.5. It's now a separate pane and can be enabled via the 'Today Pane' entry in the menus and toolbar buttons.

Yes, I know, and it works correctly on Windows. But in Linux, the Calendar and Folder panes are side by side, rather than one hidden/one visible.
beckfield

Post by beckfield »

I take it nobody else has seen this?
bvdbos

Post by bvdbos »

castaway

Post by castaway »

Hi Beckfield,
I had exactly the same problem while using TB (and Lightning) with a shared profile so that I could access the same profile from Win and GNU/Linux. Is it your case? If so then do the following:
1. Download lightning for gnu/linux http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... -linux.xpi
2. Download lightning for windows http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... tb-win.xpi
3. Rename both .xpi files to .zip and extract them to the same folder (don't worry about overwriting files)
4. Create a new subfolder like this ./platform/Linux_x86-gcc3/components
5. Create a new subfolder like this ./platform/WINNT_x86-msvc/components
6. Move all *.so files from ./components to ./platform/Linux_x86-gcc3/components
7. Move all *.dll files from ./components to ./platform/WINNT_x86-msvc/components
8. Open the file ./install.rdf with text editor and search for em:targetPlatform and change the line to
<em>WINNT_x86-msvc</em>
<em>Linux_x86-gcc3</em>
9. Compress all files in a new zip archive and rename it from .zip to .xpi
10. Install

Hope it helps, you may find more information on sharing a profile, along with other stuff here http://lligabirres.com/francesc/00_inde ... RBIRD.html
beckfield

Post by beckfield »

Castaway,

Thanks for your help. I believe I've followed your steps to the letter, but when I try to install, it fails because "Install script not found." I've looked inside the new zip(xpi) file, and install.rdf is present, and appears to be complete.

Any idea why this might be?

I am a recent linux convert, so it's entirely possible that I'm missing something simple.

Thanks again,
Beckfield
castaway

Post by castaway »

Hi,
again, it seems you are encountering the same problems I once did...
Something similar happened to me, and it was because, when I created the zip/xpi file, I compressed the whole folder instead of the files in the folder.
To check if your file is properly created open it with your compression tool and check if what you first see is a folder or a set of folders and files (with install.rdf among them), it should be the second option.
I don't know if I made myself very clear, let me know if you don't understand something.

And I am a recent gnu/linux convert myself, so don't worry much about that ;)

Let me know if it worked out!
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

I think I followed that exactly, but it still looks the same. How are the folders supposed to be?
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

Ozymandias, in case you are using Linux too: Have you read the linked articles ans installed the necessary packages? For example "libstdc++5" on Ubuntu or "compat-libstdc++" on Fedora.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

ah. I'll try that.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

still looks the same. I've got libstdc++5, thunderbird-gnome-support, and latex-xft-fonts installed.
mikislate

Re: Lightning and Thunderbird on Linux not behaving

Post by mikislate »

Castaway's trick worked for me using Lightning 0.9. Also, make sure your Windows drive is mounted with the exec option in Linux. If it isn't, the calender pane shows but you cannot do anything with it.