changing DNS for firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
targetdummy

changing DNS for firefox

Post by targetdummy »

Is there any ways to set or change the DNS server in firefox and firefox only? I do not have the admin right to change it in windows. I have looked into about:config but didn't find a field for it.
trolly

Post by trolly »

No. DNS is a system service and can not be changed by a user application.
Which problems do you have?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
targetdummy

Post by targetdummy »

The DNS server IP is incorrect in the PC at work. I have tried both using a proxy service and setting proxy server for firefox and set network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to true, having the proxy server performing the DNS lookup. Both with not too pleasant result. I was hoping there is a more direct way to fix it.
trolly

Post by trolly »

To use SOCKS you need a proxy which supports the SOCKS protocol. Then firefox can ask the SOCKS server to perform the DNS.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
AnthonyV

Re: changing DNS for firefox

Post by AnthonyV »

I have a different reason. I would like to use OpenDNS but only for firefox to allow me to block adult content.
DanRaisch

Re: changing DNS for firefox

Post by DanRaisch »

AnthonyV, you've posted to a thread that died out more than two years ago. It's unlikely that any of the original participants are still monitoring this. To ensure that you get support, please start a new topic and provide details of your issue.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.