MozillaZine

Quicksearch not working

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
RDL

Post Posted January 8th, 2008, 3:39 pm

aallen005 wrote:..When looking through keyconfig in the config editor, I found a lot of values that were !][][ which seemed weird. I removed all the customized key strokes. The only things remaining in value were some entries along the lines of
!][][][goDoCommand('cmd_forward')][chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul
(even tho' I removed the associated keystroke)..

Nothing wrong with that sort of KeyConfig entry in itself. The leading '!' means it is disabled. You can remove shortcuts completely by using the 'Reset' button on each (when highlighted) and, at the end, reloading TB

Disabling a shortcut removes it from the keyboard key combination (or vice versa) anyway.

RDL

Post Posted January 8th, 2008, 3:46 pm

aallen005 wrote:Okay, something new!

I happened to try a quicksearch for sender in a folder. It didn't work, as above. But then I clicked on the inbox and suddenly the quicksearch was applied to my inbox. BUT if I then delete the QS and try it again for the same name in sender, then it does NOT work. So only by switching back to the inbox with a search term in the QS box will the search work.

Alright, I checked it again, and it works for switching to a folder as well. So if I'm in a folder, type something in QS and then switch to another folder, then the search is applied. The next time I switch to a folder or inbox, the contents of QS are automatically removed (i.e., it's blank again).

Not sure what this means, but it's doing it while I have keyconfig still installed.

Curious. It makes me wonder about faulty focussing or perhaps buffering (data caching/storage) but I feel blank myself on this.

10) No great hope but you could try rebuilding the .msf files as described in that reference which SKopischke gave you.

After that, I'm out of new ideas so we can only hope that after you post back someone else picks up on this one for you. Sorry I wasn't more help and good luck.

aallen005

Post Posted January 8th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Curious indeed. Thanks for all your advice, RDL.

I rebuilt the .msf files as suggested, and nothing has changed.

So, in order to have both quicksearch and keyconfig, I have to put my qs terms in before switching to the folder, then switch to the folder I want to search. It's messy, but it's a workaround.

I've contacted the developer of keyconfig just to see if s/he might be able to contribute.
OSes: XP SP3, often via Parallels 3 on a MacBook Pro running OS X.5 (Leopard)
Currently using: TB 2.0.0.17 (Mac, XP), FF 3.01 (Mac, XP)

dorando

Post Posted January 16th, 2008, 5:09 am

Anything in the Tools > Error Console?

Does this also happen if you set keyconfig.profile to anything else in about:config (Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Config Editor) and restarted the Application?

aallen005

Post Posted January 16th, 2008, 9:24 am

Thanks, Dorando, for chiming in.

The only thing in error console is the following:
Error: document.getElementById("key_toggleMessagePane") has no properties
Source File: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindow.js
Line: 546

And I get that whenever I switch between folders, whether or not I'm trying to do a search. (And like I said above, I can do a quick search on a folder when switching folder views and a word is in the QS field.)

As for about:config, the values are: status = default, type = string, and value = main. I'm not sure how I'd change it otherwise, so any advice there is appreciated.

dorando

Post Posted January 18th, 2008, 11:01 am

aallen005 wrote:The only thing in error console is the following:
Error: document.getElementById("key_toggleMessagePane") has no properties
Source File: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindow.js
Line: 546
I can now reproduce this by disabling the key listed as "Layout > Message Pane". This happens because keyconfig removes the <key> as I assumed nothing would try to access any <key>s directly (IIRC alternatives to removing failed in some situations).

Setting "Layout > Message Pane" to any unused combination should work around this issue.
aallen005 wrote:I'm not sure how I'd change it otherwise, so any advice there is appreciated.
In case the above fails you can edit the value by double clicking or right-click > Modify.

aallen005

Post Posted January 18th, 2008, 11:21 am

Fantastic! It's fixed! I had disabled that key "Layout>Message Pane" for some reason (perhaps its default was related to another combination I used and so caused trouble when I mistyped something), and now that I've enabled it by providing a key combination, my search function again works.

Thanks so much, and I hope this fix can help others and improve on that already fantastic add-on, keyconfig!

Return to Thunderbird Support