Spell Checker Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 not working.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
nanegor

Spell Checker Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 not working.

Post by nanegor »

HELP URGENTLY NEEDED.

I have Thunderbird 2.0.0.9.
I can not get the spell checker to work.
Mozilla Firefox spell checks fine.

I understood that there was a built in spell checker in newer Thunderbird editions.

My Spell checker does not work at all.
Can any one help please???

Please email if you can help.
** e-mail address removed by moderator **

Thanks.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I removed your e-mail address because we do not give email support. To do so would deprive other users of the information offered in a response to your topic. More importantly, spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this.

See this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries
nanegor

Post by nanegor »

HI!
I posted this also:
Guest Posted: 14 Jan 2008 08:43 am
I have installed Thunderbird 2.0.0.9.
The spell checker does not work.
My Mozilla Firefox has the spell checker working but not Thunderbird.
I produce a fair amount of texts every day including university level papers and correspondence and not having spell checker is a major inconvenience.Is there something that I am missing?
I believed that the spell checker was running with the program but it is not in this case.
Any help to fix this problem would be gratefully appreciated.
nanegor

and this response was received:
Rod Whiteley
Posted: 14 Jan 2008 09:08 am
See the knowledge base: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries#Troubleshooting

I replied:
I found all those instructions very complicated!
According to the other notes I read spell checker should be running without downloading a separate dictionary.
I have a simple set of instructions and they do not work either.
From the instructions on the information link you gave, on installing a dictionary, I can not get the link for the URL moved to Thunderbird.
When I try to get it installed in Tools Options / Extensions and Add-ons extensions, it loaded in Firefox.
According to Thunderbird it is set for checking spelling but it does not.
If I am needing a dictionary added to Thunderbird 2.0.0.9, I can not get it away from Firefox.
Thats were it loads and stays.
Help!!!

Now I have gone back to this saving in Hard Drive and discovered that it keeps saving under Netscape Themes and Extensions.
I can not seem to get it moved out of Netscape as Netscape was my original Browser and Mail same but under my telephone company server.
If I delete all Netscape as I am not using it any more as I switched to Firefox will I loose all my data saved in it?

Thank you
nancy
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

The US English version of Thunderbird has a dictionary, but some other language versions do not. Which language version are you using?

To install an add-on in Thunderbird, do not choose Tools – Add-ons in Firefox. Choose Tools – Add-ons in Thunderbird!

If it still does not work, try the Dictionary Fix extension.
Rod
nanegor

Post by nanegor »

Because the dictionary kept saving as Netscape Themes and Extensions, I decided to tkae the risk, since I am not using Netscape any more, to delete all files and programs under that browser and mail services.
Did so, and restarted computer.
Had to go back and delete more from the program panel, but did and did not need restart then.
Went to Thunderbird and used the general installation of a dictionary.
Spell checker is now working, so the problem seems to have been with interference from the old browser and mail server under Netscape.
Problem now fixed!!
nancy

Re: Spell Checker Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 not working.

Post by Guest »

Thanks to Rod Whiteley,http://journal.mozdev.org/dictfix.html seems to have worked for me using 2.0.0.17.

Cheers

Bruce
Mark Ribbans

Post by Mark Ribbans »

My 2c.

Using version 2.0.0.20, spell check would say that there were no misspelled words when there clearly were.

Installing the English dictionary from the link above fixed the issue for me.

(Although surely this is still a bug - I only downloaded an installed Thunderbird 2 weeks ago..)

Post by Guest »

tx Rod...