Various comments on the pref dialog

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jonasj

Various comments on the pref dialog

Post by jonasj »

• I was never fond of Mozilla using a tree rather than a list as its pref panel selector, and I'm sad that it's been carried over to Phoenix. There's only a total of 10 panels, so there's no need to hide four of them under Advanced. I believe it can be difficult for users to discover that Advanced can be expanded since it is also a panel itself.
  • What's 'Reject popup windows' doing in Advanced rather than JavaScript?
  • IMHO the confusion caused by combining list-based panel selection with tab-based in the Themes and Extensions panel outweighs the convenience of a one item shorter panel list. Are extensions and themes really related enough to warrant this?
djst

Re: Various comments on the pref dialog

Post by djst »

jonasj wrote:
  • IMHO the confusion caused by combining list-based panel selection with tab-based in the Themes and Extensions panel outweighs the convenience of a one item shorter panel list. Are extensions and themes really related enough to warrant this?

I agree that the Themes and Extensions panel should be split into two separate panels.
asa

Post by asa »

jonasj wrote:
  • I was never fond of Mozilla using a tree rather than a list as its pref panel selector, and I'm sad that it's been carried over to Phoenix.
<snip>

Expedience. The longerterm plan was, and I think still is, to go to catagory icons rather than a tree.
--Asa
seb

Post by seb »

Yeah, something like Galeon2's prefs panel would be great. See http://galeon.sourceforge.net/graphics/ ... 2prefs.png
Of course, a good graphist is needed for this, but this'd be really cool, and much much more user-friendly.
jonasj

Post by jonasj »

asa wrote:Expedience. The longerterm plan was, and I think still is, to go to catagory icons rather than a tree.

w00t! Phoenix rules!
Abiku

Post by Abiku »

jonasj wrote:
  • What's 'Reject popup windows' doing in Advanced rather than JavaScript?

I'm so glad somebody else finds that annoying or curious. It's something I grumble about everytime I look for the option, but never remember to mention here as a RFE.

I also agree with your first comment about not needing to have things hidden under Advanced. I can understand the desire to hide potentially confusing options under Advanced so new users don't get too overwhelmed by the options, but I don't think there are enough options overall to warrant burying things.

I'm probably just bitter that I keep having to expand the Advanced tree and then expand the Tabbed Browsing tree just to change a single option back and forth sometimes...
djst

Post by djst »

jonasj wrote:w00t! Phoenix rules!

Pretty far away from "This browser sucks", eh? ;)
Welcome home Jonas.
jonasj

Post by jonasj »

djst wrote:
jonasj wrote:w00t! Phoenix rules!

Pretty far away from "This browser sucks", eh? ;)

Yeah... but this is a different browser. :-)
Sir Rufus

Post by Sir Rufus »

asa wrote: The longerterm plan was, and I think still is, to go to catagory icons rather than a tree.
--Asa

The icons in Galeon2 definitely look cooler, but I don't really see that they add clarity. I guess if you don't have a lot of categories, they'd work OK.
Sir Rufus

Post by Sir Rufus »

On another note, how do people feel about Preferences being in the Tools menu, a la IE, rather than under Edit? Haven't made up my mind on this one, personally.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Sir Rufus wrote:On another note, how do people feel about Preferences being in the Tools menu, a la IE, rather than under Edit? Haven't made up my mind on this one, personally.

It confuses the hell out of me since I still also use Mozilla.
But I can adapt I guess :D
djst

Post by djst »

Stefan wrote:It confuses the hell out of me since I still also use Mozilla.

Yeah, it should change in Mozilla too.
Last edited by djst on November 12th, 2002, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
scratch

Post by scratch »

Stefan wrote:
Sir Rufus wrote:On another note, how do people feel about Preferences being in the Tools menu, a la IE, rather than under Edit? Haven't made up my mind on this one, personally.

It confuses the hell out of me since I still also use Mozilla.

I think it's unintuitive and annoying. I don't see how preferences is a tool, and I'm used to finding it under edit.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

It doesn't really matter to me, since every Windows program puts it in a different place. This is something I love about Mac OS X; the preferences are forced to be under the Application menu [not to start an OS war or anything].
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It's usually under Tools on Windows apps these days. Edit is for document attributes, not application options.

- Chris