Firefox's v.s. Online Desktop Publishing's right-click menus

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
truefrancesca

Firefox's v.s. Online Desktop Publishing's right-click menus

Post by truefrancesca »

I'm starting to do more and more of my desktop publishing online and I find it very inconvenient that when I highlight and right-click on text while I am in such an application, both the application's and Firefox's right-click menus appear simultaneously but are overlapping.

The application I am specifically referring to is Zoho Writer (which is a dream of a product! I recommend the entire Zoho Suite highly!), although this is just as much of a problem in GoogleDocs. Since Writer's right-click menu is always the one underneath, it requires a lot of highlighting, right-clicking, and scrolling-about until the feature that I would like to use finally becomes accessible. In GoogleDocs, it is virtually impossible to access the Google right-click menu.

I use right-click menus A LOT regardless of whether I am surfing, typing up a document, editing an image, etc. And when I'm in an online desktop publishing app, I often need to use both the features of the browser and the features of the software. Thus I don't want any sort of 'disabling' feature. But is there perhaps a way that I can toggle between the menus so that only one or the other appears (e.g. Right-click enables Firefox's menu, and Ctrl + right-click enables Writer's menu)?

Thanks in advance!
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Tools -> Options --> Content --> Advance Button (Across from Enable Javascript) Check "Disable or Replace Context menu"
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
truefrancesca

Post by truefrancesca »

Nope. Tried that already.
(Even tried restarting the browser after unchecking ... No luck. And 'checked' is default, so obv that doesn't work to start off with.)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

How does IE or another browser handle those pages?

I suspect that ZOHO is gonna have to provide for a different way to access those Context Menus, than using a Right-click by using a modifier key such as Alt or Ctrl. I'm curious what kind of response you're going to get to this situation in the thread you posted over at the ZOHO forum.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Post by Guest »

The context menu seems to work fine here:
http://writer.zoho.com/editor.im

I also had no problems with Google Docs.

Try Firefox in Safe Mode and see if it works.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

If it does, it's likely a profile problem, maybe an installed extension.
truefrancesca

Post by truefrancesca »

Anonymous wrote:The context menu seems to work fine here:
http://writer.zoho.com/editor.im

I also had no problems with Google Docs.

Try Firefox in Safe Mode and see if it works.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

If it does, it's likely a profile problem, maybe an installed extension.

I went to both the links you provided in normal mode and still had the same problem of both context menus appearing simultaneously and overlapping.
I did all of it in Safemode as well and still no luck.

I'm inclined to think it might have something to do with my Add-ons:
- Bookmark Tags
- British English Dictionary
- ColorfulTabs
- Deutsches Woerterbuch, erweitert fuer Oesterreich (German dictionary incl. Austria)
- Diigo Toolbar for Firefox
- Favicon Picker 2
- Google Icon
- hideBad
- QuickRestart
- Skype extension for Firefox
- Smart Bookmarks Bar
- Snap Links
- Tab Mix Plus
(- Talkback)
- Zoho Notebook Helper
- Zotero

the-edmeister wrote:I suspect that ZOHO is gonna have to provide for a different way to access those Context Menus, than using a Right-click by using a modifier key such as Alt or Ctrl.

And I assume you expect GoogleDocs to do that same?

the-edmeister wrote:How does IE or another browser handle those pages?

It may be the first time ever, ever, ever in my entire internet-lifetime that IE has proved capable of something better than Firefox. Because IE 6.0.2900etc. correctly distinguishes between a right-click inside the iframe and a right-click elsewhere on the page.

Well that's a first ...
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Or the page was written to work with IE and wasn't tested with Firefox. You could IEtab.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
trolly

Post by trolly »

Using FF3 beta i see only the zoho context menu.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
truefrancesca

Post by truefrancesca »

I tried IEtab and for some reason, after installing it, I kept getting debug messages of some sort. So I uninstalled it again.

And unfortunately I can't up upgrade to FF3 yet because the company that I work for hasn't upgraded their propriety software yet to make it compatible. But at the same time my boss wants us to start playing around with Zoho for collaborative brain-storming! GAHHH!

Oh well, thank-you all for your help! I guess I'll just have to wait for everyone else around here to get their acts together :S lol ...
trolly

Post by trolly »

You can make a second independent install of FF 3 beta to test. You can have the beta and FF 2 at the same time and even use them at the same time.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
truefrancesca

Post by truefrancesca »

Ooo .. how do I go about that?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Download it, chose "Custom install", select a different folder. Do not start automatically after installation.
Then start it using the profile manager to create a new profile.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

After creating the new profile modify your shortcut to automatically use the new profile. Add " -P <yourprofile>" to the target. If you want to run both version simultaneous add " -no-remote" to both the beta and normal firefox shortcuts.

Do not use your old profile with the beta. Both releases use different files for storing data and if FF 3 accesses an old profile it may be unusable for FF 2 after converting.
truefrancesca

Post by truefrancesca »

Ok thanks so much!
trolly

Post by trolly »

:-)