Add-ons won't uninstall/update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pofadda

Add-ons won't uninstall/update

Post by pofadda »

I am trying to uninstall Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3. 'Options' caused FF to lockup and have to be killed.

Uninstall has left me with 'This add-on will be upgraded when FF is resarted' in the Add-ons list. Restarts don't work. I thus can't install it afresh.

FEBE 5.1.1 also says it will be uninstalled as well after a restart and isn't... The British Eng. dictionary won't spell check and the DOM Inspector STILL says it will be installed after a restart.

I can see no .xpis for these things anywhere either!

Firefox destroy and re-install? Opera install?
Pofadda
steviex

Post by steviex »

You have confused the extension manager.... This procedure will reset it, so Firefox rescans your collection of addons, to see what is really there.

Look in your Profile Folder (see below for how to find it) and Delete these three files
extensions.ini
extensions.cache
extensions.rdf
Make sure Firefox is not running when deleting these files. Firefox will regenerate these files on restart.

Read this for how to find your profile folder... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... ile_folder
In Windows ... this Folder may be hidden .....
To show hidden folders, open Windows Explorer and choose Organize → Folder and Search Options → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders.
Also this Extension may help to locate it quickly https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/545
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
pofadda

Post by pofadda »

StevieX, thanx!
Pofadda
steviex

Post by steviex »

No Problems.... Happy to help :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.