Youtube videos pausing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

BTW, anyone know what else can be added to "about:"? I know of "about:", "about:config", "about:plugins" and "about:mozilla". What else can be put after "about:"?

See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/About_protocol_links
Guenzel

Post by Guenzel »

OK, this is ridiculous lol. Embedded youtube videos will NOT buffer unless I am continually moving my mouse/cursor. If I stop moving the cursor, the video stops buffering instantly. Then of course the video stops playing. It won't start playing again until I move the cursor around again, which starts up the buffering again.
Melodeath

Post by Melodeath »

OK, so this problem had gone away for me, but just resurfaced, as I reached 43 tabs.
Guenzel

Post by Guenzel »

Just an update. After reinstalling everything (shockwave, flash player, FF) I can view youtube videos directly on the youtube site. I still cannot watch ANY embedded videos at all unless I move my cursor (or mouse) around. <b>The one exception is embedded Yahoo! videos. I can play those without any trouble at all.</b> As I detailed in my above post, embedded videos will not buffer unless I am constantly moving my cursor around. If I stop moving my cursor, the buffering stops and then the video stops. Another interesting thing: if I do not start moving the cursor again after the buffering stops within about 30 seconds or so, the progress bar on the video goes nuts and the video completely stops -showing the "replay" button. The bar starts zipping forwards and backwards continually. I cannot get it to stop. I have to close the browser window. One more thing: when playing (or trying to play) any embedded videos, my CPU skyrockets to almost 100%, with FF hogging nearly all of it.

If anyone has any additional ideas on how to fix this, I sure would appreciate it. I love FF, but this is fast becoming a deal-breaker for me. Part of what I do involves watching embedded videos, and FF is unusable for this, save for embedded Yahoo! videos.
DaRox

Post by DaRox »

Hi ppl! I have the same problem here. The youtube videos only play the fisrt two / three seconds, without any sound. I've already tried reinstall Macromedia Flash and Quicktime, create a new profile, start in safe mode, and other things that i've beed said in this thread. Nothing works. Sometimes when I start firefox i can play the youtube videos without problems, but after a while (+5 min) the problem com back. This is very annoying because to see that videos i've to use IE... If somebody could help i'll be very satisfied.
TwistydMorticia

Post by TwistydMorticia »

I know this is an oldish question, but I had the same problem with YouTube in Firefox 2.0.0.11, I thought it was Firefox but it turned out to be my Flash Player settings when I upgraded to FP 9.0.115.0. I had to use the adobe flash player removal tool for Active X and Plugin, redownload the Flash Player plugin and alter the settings at:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html

I had inadvertently blocked all flash storage settings so it made YouTube lag. Just a thought and if this has been resolved I hope it helps someone else. It now works perfectly.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

TwistydMorticia wrote:<b>I thought it was Firefox but it turned out to be my Flash Player settings</b>

Like I say, if you have a Flash problem, talk to Adobe. And while you're at it, have a look at that article and see what you think. Do those settings apply to the Flash plugin? :omg:
Christeh

the same

Post by Christeh »

Is happening to me too. Youtube videos play for only 2 seconds on ffox, no sound, everything Ok with IE.

Yahoo videos play completly, but no sound.

Everything was alright until 3 weeks ago or so. Read somewhere it was after a windows update. I'll keep with this topic.
Alice

Post by Alice »

pdxesto wrote:[I can't stop characterizing this problem...]

Interesting data point: Opera lists Shockwave Flash twice.

Once like this:

Shockwave Flash
application/x-shockwave-flash swf
application/futuresplash spl
C:\Program Files\Opera\program\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

Then like this:

Shockwave Flash
application/x-shockwave-flash swf
application/futuresplash spl
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll

Could these be fighting each other?

Opera would be using the version of Flash from the C:\Program Files\Opera\program\plugins folder and the other version would be ignored, if Opera works like Firefox and other Mozilla browsers.

Ref: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash#Install ... on_Windows
You can see what version of the Flash plugin is installed by entering about:plugins in the Location Bar of your Mozilla browser and finding the entry for "Shockwave Flash". For example, on Windows XP with Flash 9.0 r115 installed, you should see:

* Shockwave Flash

File name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115

Note: To see the full path to the plugin file NPSWF32.dll as shown above, instead of just the file name, use about:config to change the value of plugin.expose_full_path to "true".

If you see two versions of Shockwave Flash listed in about:plugins, this can occur if the Flash plugin file "NPSWF32.dll" is located in the Mozilla browser's installation directory plugins folder and another copy is detected in a different location, e.g., the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash folder on Windows XP. In such cases, the copy in the browser plugins folder takes precedence. The installation of Flash 9.0 r45 or later should detect and remove the Flash plugin from the plugins folder of detected browsers. If it doesn't, manually delete the "NPSWF32.dll" file from the browser plugins folder so that the newer version can be used.
<snip>
Alice Wyman
Guenzel

Post by Guenzel »

VanillaMozilla wrote:
TwistydMorticia wrote:<b>I thought it was Firefox but it turned out to be my Flash Player settings</b>

Like I say, if you have a Flash problem, talk to Adobe. And while you're at it, have a look at that article and see what you think. Do those settings apply to the Flash plugin? :omg:

I understand what you are saying, but there is no way to just "talk to adobe". They offer technical support for installation issues only -unless you have purchased one of their products. I have tried asking questions in their non-official "support forums", and I don't think I have ever received a single reply to any of my posts. I have searched their knowledge base and troubleshooting area umpteen times. Nothing relates to my problem. I read the article posted above and my settings are fine. I have followed every single piece of advice given here. I have uninstalled and reinstalled programs until my pc has threatened to get a restraining order. Nothing works.

Additionally, I can't even figure out if this is an Adobe problem or an FF problem. I have troubleshooted until I'm blue in the face. The only thing I DO know is that there is a breakdown somewhere in the way Adobe and FF are communicating. Who's "fault" it is I have no idea. I only know that something big is broken and nobody can tell me how to fix it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

We are very responsive, but unfortunately, we can't do anything about Flash. I have only two suggestions. Opera uses the same plugin as Firefox (but see Alice's post). If the same problem occurs with Opera, it's probably an Adobe problem. See TwistydMorticia's post and carefully work through every detail. It's all I have to offer, for sure.

I almost forgot. Security software, security software, security software. Anything that claims to watch over your Internet traffic and "keep you safe" is probably meddling and inspecting everything that comes in and out, and taking lots of time doing it. That is a VERY common culprit when Internet sites just don't quite work right, and it's very difficult to advise people about it.
Guenzel

Post by Guenzel »

Thank you for your reply! I will go through everything again, paying special attention to the posts you mentioned.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The Flash plugin uses it's own cookies and other settings and they probably apply to all browsers:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\

You can always try to delete all the files in those folders to cleanup things.
Flash stores way too many data.
relz

Post by relz »

I'm having this problem too. I got a new laptop and wanted to use FF like I did on my old one and I can't get it to run You Tube, MySpace, Imeem, basically any site that has embedded streaming media. Pretty ridiculous that IE can run all this embedded media but FF can't. I have tried quite a few things here and frankly, don't think I should have to go through hours of troubleshooting to make this browser work with common websites.

Obviously this is a very common problem. This happened to me on a new computer with a new FF install before the 2.0 update and I got it to work somehow, but have been unable to get it to work here. There clearly an issue with the plugins or something related to that.

You guys should list up an easy to follow guide on how to fix this problem or update FF or whatever it takes to get this to work for people. I don't have the time to search through all these posts to figure out if there is a solution or not. I guess for now it's back to IE until this is resolved.

Thanks
Hummm

Post by Hummm »

Guenzel wrote: I only know that something big is broken and nobody can tell me how to fix it.

Well, it's only big, if watching vids on YouTube plays a big part in your life.

Maybe Firefox should take a leaf out of Youtube's and Adobe's book and just not answer questions on this stuff.