Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

No, no sign of any mail from you around 11/11/07, and it is not yet 28/11/08 (or even 28/01/08) here ;)

I have just sent you a private message about it.
Rod
roparr2

Post by roparr2 »

I've tried adding a second color to Permanent pen with a different hotkey, but it doesn't work. Any workarounds?
Self-built: Win XP Pro SP3/ 3 GB RAM/ 3GHZ P4 dual core 32-bit
Backup: Self-built--Win XP Pro SP3 P3 750 MHZ
FF 3.5.6 / TB 2.0.0.23 - 3 POP3 accounts --- Originally joined 2004
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

There is only one permanent pen. A set of pens would be nice, though...perhaps in a future release.
Rod
Hooonza

Localization

Post by Hooonza »

Hallo, how is it about localization of the Mail Tweak extension? Can I send localized files to somebody? TX! h
khc7

Using CSV file to Personalize messages

Post by khc7 »

I am trying to use a CSV file to personalize email messages I send out. I have been unable to figure out how to use the email field from the CSV file to populate the To: field in the email. Can someone help?
Hooonza

Re: khc7

Post by Hooonza »

I am not too familiar with Mail Tweak so far but this works when I test it:

1. make a csv file (any text file with .csv termination) like this, e.g.:

default_Email
first@email.foo
second@email.foo
third@email.foo

(no matter what you write into the 1st line!)

2. go to Thunderbird, select Message/Personalize... - now a window of a new message appears. Fill in a subject and a message body then

3. click "Personalize" (a button left at upper left corner of the message window)
4. now you are asked to localizate a csv file - do it - OK
5. confirm sending mails
6. done, we made it:-)

Look at http://journal.mozdev.org/mailtweak.html to the bottom part for more.

h
khc7

Post by khc7 »

I tried this. However, the CSV file I use is generated automatically and it has other emails fields that I don't want to use. According to
http://journal.mozdev.org/mailtweak.html I should be able to assign a specific field to be used to populate the email addresses. Here is exactly what it says:

In each record of a CSV file, the first field that contains an @ sign is taken to be the e-mail address. Alternatively, set the preference extension.mailtweak.personal.csv.to to the name of the field that contains the e-mail address, changing spaces in the name to underscores.

However, I was unable to figure out how to set the preference to the name of the field I want to use as it says I can.
Hooonza

Post by Hooonza »

Hi khc7, I test to use CVS file with more fields (separated by ",") and that fields are named randomly (independetly on nsIAbCard) and I use names of that fields in a mail - and it works! E.g.:

email,name
first@email.foo,John
second@email.foo,Peter
third@email.foo,Mike

I write a personalized test mail with this text: Hallo %%name%%!
And it works! I get 3 mails to three e-addresses: "Hallo John!", "Hallo Peter!", "Hallo Mike!"

So I go upon it and think you can have a field named e.g. "mail" in your CSV file and if you modify the "extension.mailtweak.personal.csv.to" to the "mail" value it should work. You should modify the "extension.mailtweak.personal.csv.charset" to specify the charset of the CSV file maybe too?
Test it please and let me know. h
unfrostedpoptart

Post by unfrostedpoptart »

Hi.

I just found this extension today by accident, searching for something else. It's great, from what little I've tried of the features. Just the asking about saving sent messages is worth it!

However, it doesn't do what I was searching for, so I thought I'd ask if it could, or if there's something else that does. mailtweak can lock the sort order of a group, which is very handy. However, I'm trying to find a way to force all folders to change to View->Sort By->Threaded. This is how I want to see my messages 99.99% of the time. At least with mailtweak, once I change them, they'll stay, but it's still a big pain to change over a 100 folders.

Thanks for the extension and any help!

David
Hooonza

Post by Hooonza »

khc7 wrote:However, I was unable to figure out how to set the preference to the name of the field I want to use as it says I can.

Well I see we cannot fill in the "To:" field from the moment we set a value for "extension.mailtweak.personal.csv.to".
So I find the only solution now: to delete the setting for "extension.mailtweak.personal.csv.to" and to open the csv file with a spreadsheet program and move the field with email addresses ahead to the 1st position. It works from aside the "@" character occurs anywhere else.
h
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

unfrostedpoptart wrote:...force all folders to change to View->Sort By->Threaded...
I do not think there is any easy way to do that.

Hooonza wrote:...the only solution now: to delete the setting for extension.mailtweak.personal.csv.to"...
Yes, that's a bug. I have just now fixed it, and the fix will be in the next release (0.14).
Rod
jev

2 questions

Post by jev »

I recently stumbled on Mail Tweak, which for some reason I had not seen before. All I can say is "Wow!" An amazing array of really useful goodies. The ability to lock the column sorting alone is well worth the price of admission. Thank you, Rod!

Two things it seems like I might be able to change with the help of Mail Tweak:

1) I would like for reply text in incoming messages always to get marked with greater-than signs, in good ol' text e-mail style. I know how to get rid of the annoying vertical bar as a reply marker by changing the blockquote[type=cite] class in userContent.css, but is it possible to get the greater-than signs?

2) Is it possible to change the color of a folder *only* if that folder contains messages?

One idea for a future release: I love being able to access all the Add-On options right from the Options dialog...the only thing that would make this better for me would be to just make the Add-On manager a panel in the Options dialog. I've never been able to figure out why it's separate, anyway.

Thanks for a fabulous extension.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

1) Not in HTML. There is a way to fake it, but it is hard work, and the result is not perfect. You create an image of a greater-than sign, and use CSS to specify it as the background of the blockquote, repeating down the left-hand edge:

Code: Select all

blockquote[type=cite] {
  border: none !important;
  padding: 0 0 0 1em !important;
  background: url(gt.png) repeat-y;
  }
The problems are that the image only matches one font size, and it does not always line up with the lines of text.

2) No. The underlying C++ code does not supply that information, so it cannot be made available to the CSS.

3) Yes, that does make sense. Technically, the data behind the Options dialog is all stored in one way, while the data behind the Add-ons dialog is all stored in a different way, but there is no reason for that technical distinction to be exposed to the user.

Thank you for sharing these ideas, and for your kind remarks.
Rod
jev

Post by jev »

I love being able set BCC rather than To: by default (now if Mail Tweak would just set everyone ELSE's mailers to default to BCC!). But I noticed that this does not work if an address or group of addresses is selected from the address book or contacts window--they all get To: as usual. Is this something that could be done in a future release?

Thanks!
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

The current tweak only changes the default. If To is actually specified for any reason, then it is not the default and not affected. I'll look into making the tweak more aggressive...
Rod