[Ext] Gmail RTL 0.1.1 [2006-09-28]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Tomer

Post by Tomer »

iboock wrote:hi all a quick workaround for the meantime is to change in the settings to English (UK) as that has not been rolled out into the new version, you will still have the RTL button.
Everyone has the "Older version" link at top of each page, which will redirect the user to the older version and make GmailRTL usable, but as we don't want to downgrade gmail, we will lost the fine extension.

P.S., you can safely click on the link above, it will redirect you to the older version and you'll have link to the newer version at the same place you saw the other link (or switch the ui parameter to two).
Tomer.

✱ Mozilla Israel ✱ http://mozilla.org.il
iboock

Post by iboock »

Tomer wrote:
iboock wrote:hi all a quick workaround for the meantime is to change in the settings to English (UK) as that has not been rolled out into the new version, you will still have the RTL button.
Everyone has the "Older version" link at top of each page, which will redirect the user to the older version and make GmailRTL usable, but as we don't want to downgrade gmail, we will lost the fine extension.

P.S., you can safely click on the link above, it will redirect you to the older version and you'll have link to the newer version at the same place you saw the other link (or switch the ui parameter to two).
I agree with you that some people do not want to downgrade, on the other hand every time to remember before composing an email to set it to the old version is not that friendly either. Especially if you are using Firefox gmail manager and not always go through the main gmail menu.

PS you should get the word 'Firefox' in to the the dictionary as default.
hepi

Installation problem

Post by hepi »

Hi,

I just install Gmail RTL 0.1.1 on my Firefox 2.0.0.11,
I restarted firefox, and entered to Gmail.
But I don't see any RTL buttons (as showed in the ilustration)

Any ideas?

Hepi
noamnelke

Post by noamnelke »

Dear Hepi,

If you would read this topic you would know that Gmail-RTL is currently not working. Google have updated the Gmail interface unfortunately rendering Gmail-RTL unusable. Geva (the creator of the extension) didn't get a chance to update it yet.

According to him, at some point (when he has more time) he will. So my recommendation to you is to keep the extension installed and wait for a hopefully soon to come update.

Noam.
sglobus

thunderbird

Post by sglobus »

great,
now how can I reverse text order when writing a hebrew message in thunderbird?
thanks,
Shmuel
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

http://bidiui.mozdev.org/mail/
BiDi-aware mail client software should be capable of displaying mail messages using their intended direction. This functionality is especially important in the case of plain text messages, as those do not explicitly specify direction. Similar direction control is required when composing new messages.

The BiDi Mail UI extension provide access to the inherent Bi-Directional capabilities in Mozilla Mail clients (the Mail&News component in the Mozilla suite and the separate client Thunderbird) - both for display and composition.

Phil
ybfishel

rtl buttons for English interface on Gmail

Post by ybfishel »

Hey, please chip this up for the FF 3.0+.
I really need it! I have a Hebrew speaking son in Brazil and have to write him from @013.net just to get punctuation at the end of the sentence. :roll:
noamnelke

Post by noamnelke »

ybfishel wrote:Hey, please chip this up for the FF 3.0+.
I really need it! I have a Hebrew speaking son in Brazil and have to write him from @013.net just to get punctuation at the end of the sentence. :roll:
Dear ybfishel,

If you're using client software to write a message, you may as well set-up gmail as the provider. You can use either POP3 or IMAP. You can find instructions in the gmail help center.

Using Outlook (for example) works great in Hebrew, and gmail doesn't work any differently than "@013.net".

Good luck,

Noam Nelke.
ybfishel

Post by ybfishel »

great idea, but the whole idea of working in gmail is do avoid that heavy client software.
Drazick

Post by Drazick »

Any updates from Geva?
Maybe someone can tell something about it to the Gmail Team?

Thanks.
From across the river

RTL gmail updates?

Post by From across the river »

Any news on updates? I just upgraded my OS system from Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.04 and had to reinstall FF2 to be compatible to addons that I need for work.

Before the upgrade I had an option in gmail/compose lefthand mouse click at the bottom to chose switch text direction. I don't have that now.

I installed Gmail RTL 0.1.1 and figured out from this thread that it works if I use "older version" (which is a bit of a P.I.T.A).

Is the there a better way to go?

Thanks.
I get by with a little help from my friends
doron1

Re: [Ext] Gmail RTL 0.1.1 [2006-09-28]

Post by doron1 »

I have just installed the addon on FF 3.0. It needed a tiny hack but it works nicely.

What I did is edit install.rdf (in the xpi package), and modify the firefox "MaxVersion" from "2.0.0.*" into "3.0+". Then, install in FF 3 as usual. From initial testing, it seems as if all the functionality is still there.
DavidRegev

Post by DavidRegev »

For those who don’t know yet, I’m happy to tell you that this extension is now completely obsolete! Gmail’s settings page now has ‘More language options’ next to the language options, where one can enable RTL support.

תודה לﭏ and الحمد لالله! (And thanks to the Gmail team too.)
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Yes I've also just noticed. Finally they did it! :)
Thanks you all the users, I hope the extension helped you while it was relevant.
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 | IMDb Preview 0.6.2 | Gmail RTL 0.1.1
Jat

Post by Jat »

Dawudd wrote:For those who don’t know yet, I’m happy to tell you that this extension is now completely obsolete! Gmail’s settings page now has ‘More language options’ next to the language options, where one can enable RTL support.

תודה לﭏ and الحمد لالله! (And thanks to the Gmail team too.)

I'm using GMail in English language, and I don't have a "More language options" link there. Perhaps it is not enabled for all users yet; in this case, the extension is still relevant.