Firefox 2.0.0.12 updated - Now add-ons don't work

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Hideki-Motosuwa

Post by Hideki-Motosuwa »

I've just updated my firefox to the latest version but after doing so, none of my add-ons (IE: FireFTP, Download Statusbar, Greasemonkey, etc.) are working nor show up on my browswer. When I try to activate them myself, that they will become active after I restart firefox. When I do that, nothing changes. In any case, I can't get nothing to work. Other than this, I have no problem with the browswer. Can anyone help me with this?
steviex

Post by steviex »

The update has confused the extension manager.... This procedure will reset it, so Firefox rescans your collection of addons, to see what is really there.

Look in your Profile Folder (see below for how to find it) and Delete these three files
extensions.ini
extensions.cache
extensions.rdf
Make sure Firefox is not running when deleting these files. Firefox will regenerate these files on restart.

Read this for how to find your profile folder... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... ile_folder
In Windows ... this Folder may be hidden .....
To show hidden folders, open Windows Explorer and choose Organize → Folder and Search Options → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders.
Also this Extension may help to locate it quickly https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/545
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
mrmiggs

Post by mrmiggs »

I have this same problem and followed the steps listed above and it did not correct the problem. Also, when I select the menu item Tools -> Add-ons and then try to click on any item in the add-on window, it freezes and I have to use taskmanager to end firefox. Please help.
DE Retiree

Re: Firefox 2.0.0.12 updated - Now add-ons don't work

Post by DE Retiree »

mrmiggs wrote:I have this same problem and followed the steps listed above and it did not correct the problem. Also, when I select the menu item Tools -> Add-ons and then try to click on any item in the add-on window, it freezes and I have to use taskmanager to end firefox. Please help.

I have exactly this same problem. I get this error message:

Firefox could not install the file at

https://addons.mozilla.org/eng-US/firef ... +sm+fl.xpi

because: Unexpected installation error

Review the Error Console log for more details.

I am unable to install any extensions. Thanks for your help. ... DE Retiree
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Hideki-Motosuwa

Post by Hideki-Motosuwa »

Thank you so much. This has definetly helped solve my problem. As for the DE Retiree's problem, I can't help in that department. I used to get it but then it just all of a sudden stopped giving me that error.
steviex

Post by steviex »

@ Hideki-Motosuwa Happy to help

@ DE Retiree Do you have the CA Firewall ?? You may need to disable it to make downloading possible. (Make sure you get the Windows Firewall to take over)

@mrmiggs Try the suggestions here.... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
DE Retiree

Post by DE Retiree »

I do not have CA Firewall, or any other third party firewall. I use the Windows XP firewall, AVG Anti-Virus and Threatfire. All extensions were working fine until upgrade from Firefox xxx11 to xxx12. I have tried uninstalling Firefox, deleting everything including my profile, then doing a clean install of Firefox. Nothing seems to help, browsing works OK but no extensions other than RoboForm, DOM Inspector and SiteAdvisor work. I am unable to download and install any extensions that I've tried. Any ideas?

.... DE Retiree
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Did you try to install using this method?

Downloaded theme or extension will not install

Some web sites offer the option to download a theme or extension instead of installing it. The downloaded file will have a ".jar" or ".xpi" extension. Do not try to open these files directly. After the download is complete, drag the downloaded .jar or .xpi file icon from the desktop (or other location) and drop it onto an open Firefox "Add-ons" window ("Extensions" or "Themes" window in Firefox 1.5 and earlier).
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
albertalpha

Post by albertalpha »

I had the same problem as DE Retiree, namely the inability to install extensions. Disabling CA firewall did not help installing the add-ons. steviex suggestions to Hideki-Motosuwa, quoted below, did solve the problem and I was able to install Adblock plus and it cleaned up the list of installed add-ons. Thank you all.
<Begin>
Look in your Profile Folder (see below for how to find it) and Delete these three files
extensions.ini
extensions.cache
extensions.rdf
Make sure Firefox is not running when deleting these files. Firefox will regenerate these files on restart.
<End>
DE Retiree

Post by DE Retiree »

Thought this might help someone else. I found my problem. I disabled Threatfire and AVG and then I could install the extensions without issue. Note that I had not received any warning messages from Threatfire or AVG when trying to install the extensions. This is a different behavior than with Firefox xxxx11, never had a problem installing extensions with AVG and Threatfire enabled. I felt somewhat vulnerable having to disable the anti-virus protection to install extensions .... if this is a Firefox strategy, I'd suggest the developers rethink that.

DE Retiree
steviex

Post by steviex »

Hmm... Once you get an update from AVG and Threatfire, it might start working again....

dpmozilla

Post by dpmozilla »

Thanks steviex-Moderator It worked for me, too.
dpmozilla

Post by dpmozilla »

BUT it was one problem that did not work: It told me that Java is NOT compatible - I chose to update it - and failed with an error ......??? Can you help ?
Guestza

Post by Guestza »

Regarding the latest release, after two days of trying different things, I found that the common add-ons will cause problems with Firefox. Mine were working, but I have disabled most of them, in order to get the browser to work. It is looking like the add-ons will have to catch up to the latest version, so I would not worry about them - yet.