Adobe Reader 8.1.1 Add-On does not Show Up in FireFox 20011

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FJ Botha

Adobe Reader 8.1.1 Add-On does not Show Up in FireFox 20011

Post by FJ Botha »

I downloaded and installed the Adobe Reader 8.1.1 Add-On for FireFox 2.0.0.11. I use Windows XP Pro SP2. I followed the instructions given for FireFox users to install Adobe Reader to the point, but during the installation (RUN) of the Plug-In I get some "script has stopped" error and the plug-In does NOT show up as a button at all in FireFox. I also get an message which displayed that not all the necessary add-ons is installed which are required to enable the installation of the adobe plug-in . An option in a yellow bar on top then provide this option to install these additional plug-ins, but when I click on "install" it displays another message about an script that has stopped running !! I can pull my hair out of frustration, what is wrong ? Internet explorer 7 detects this plug-in like a dream, no problem ! Further, the download of adobe Reader installed on my machine with a icon on my desktop, when I click the desktop Icon adobe reader startup without a problem, but I just cannot figure out what is wrong that FireFox does not load the plug-In ??? HELP PLEASE !

** e-mail address removed by moderator **
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Are there any entries for Adobe/Acrobat in your about:plugins? Type about:plugins in your Address Bar and have a look. I have the same version of Adobe Reader as you and I have 2 entries in about:plugins. I didn't do anything special to install them they just appeared there after I downloaded Adobe Reader from the Adobe site.
The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting.
- Charles Bukowski
FJ Botha

Adobe Reader 8.1.1 Add-On does not show up in Firefox 20011

Post by FJ Botha »

Madeline wrote:Are there any entries for Adobe/Acrobat in your about:plugins? Type about:plugins in your Address Bar and have a look. I have the same version of Adobe Reader as you and I have 2 entries in about:plugins. I didn't do anything special to install them they just appeared there after I downloaded Adobe Reader from the Adobe site.

Hi Madeline, I followed your advice by entering "about:plugins" into the adress bar, but the following dialog appears: "Warning Unresponsive script. A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. I have then two option buttons i.e. Stop Script and Continue". If I click the continue button, the process repeats itself over and over, when I click on the stop script button, the web page showed me all the plug-ins for Mozilla FireFox. there is only one (1) plug-in for Adobe with File name - nppdf32.dll (Adobe PDF Plug-In for FireFox and Netscape) under which appeared six (6) MIME Types and they are all enabled. Is it possible to supply me with the other exact Adobe File name or/and further directions if possible. Thank you very much for your help thus far.
Best Regards
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I'm not here every day. I have the same entry as you in about:plugins, as well as one called 'getPlus for Adobe 12250', but I don't know exactly what that is, but it's enabled!
You may not know this, but there's an update for Adobe Reader to v8.1.2 which everyone should get as soon as possible. Apparently it's due to a security problem, but Adobe aren't giving much information about it. You can get it here and untick 'Photoshop Album Starter Edition' if you don't want it.
You won't have a 'button' for Adobe Reader in Firefox like you have on your Desktop, but if you try to open or download PDF files, Adobe Reader should work OK. You could get the PDF Download extension which is very useful for downloading or reading PDF files. If you get it, open the 'Options' menu and under the General tab, check 'Show popup dialog ' and under the PDF opening tab, check 'Use OS default viewer'. I've had this extension for ages and have never had problems with opening/viewing or downloading PDF files in Firefox.
I've never followed the instructions for Firefox users on the Adobe site, I just download and install the latest version and it appears in FF anyway!
You might find this KB article about unresponsive script useful. I hope so, as I don't know much about it!
The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting.
- Charles Bukowski
FJ Botha

Post by FJ Botha »

I welcome the script article you directed, it was of great help. I only recently switched over from IE to FireFox. Perhaps I am confused with the working of the adobe plugin for Internet Explorer and the working of the adobe plugin for FireFox. I used the Adobe plugin for Internet Explorer mainly to convert a whole web page (HTML) to Adobe (*.pdf) format and at the same time saving it to my computers hard disk for viewing it off line. I may be wrong about this, but it appears to me that one cannot do the same in FireFox with the Adobe plugin. This may also explain the reason why I was searching for an Adobe icon in the FireFox web browser, since Adobe appears as an icon inside the Internet Explorer web browser and if one left-click on that adobe icon it gives you the option I was looking for i.e. to convert a web page in HTML code to Adobe PDF format and at the same time save it to hard disk on computer. Although I prefer to work with FireFox I like that feature of the Adobe plugin for Internet explorer. If you can be of any further help I would much appreciate it. Best wishes.
SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot »

I use this free app to "Print to PDF" in the print dialog in Firefox. Works very well for me.
You also need to install the free "GPL Ghostscript" app.
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

FJ Botha, I've never needed to do what you describe, but what SkyPilot says seem like a good option for you to try.
- Charles Bukowski
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

FJ Botha, please be sure to update your Adobe Reader to v8.1.2 as soon as you can - see this thread.
- Charles Bukowski
FJ Botha

Post by FJ Botha »

Hi SkiPilot, Hi Madeline. I downloaded and installed Cute PDF & GPL Ghostscript and it seems to work the way I expected Adobe Reader to work. Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the help. Yes, I also upgraded the adobe reader to version 8.1.2. Thanks again. :)
SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot »

You're welcome. BTW, I rarely use IE, but have never seen a Adobe Icon on IE's toolbar, despite having always had Adobe Reader installed. Don't even see a way to add one.
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

You're welcome FJ Botha. I'm very glad to know that your problem's sorted and that you got the update! :)
- Charles Bukowski