Building Firefox with hidden UI

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
alexey_gusev

Building Firefox with hidden UI

Post by alexey_gusev »

Hi all,

I would like to hide (or completely remove) Address Bar, Toolbars and disable all extensions in FF 3.0, so the user can't get it all back. Is it possible to do by some configuration options or changing some config files?

I'm completely new to Mozilla environment, so any help would be appreciated

BR,
Alex
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I'll move you to the Firefox Builds forum.

Also, are you aware that Firefox 3 is not completed yet and is still in Beta stages? In my opinion, only experienced users, testers, and developers should be using what will eventually be Firefox 3. Based on your comments, it appears that you are using a Beta for regular users.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
alexey_gusev

Post by alexey_gusev »

right, I'm trying to build my own flavor of FF
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to 3rd Party Builds
Mook

Post by Mook »

Do you really want Firefox, or just something that uses the same rendering engine? What you want sounds like it can be better achieved as a XULRunner app (with extensions disabled, which is the default). You'd need to do some set up, but I imagine trying to stamp out all of the Firefox UI (including, say, printing) would be more error-prone.
poot.
alexey_gusev

Post by alexey_gusev »

Hi Mook,

thanks for the suggestion, it might be just what I want. I have more questions about XUL then. As far as I could understand from the quick looking at the XUL Runner page above, I could use libxul to embed it into my own application.

My goal is to have browser-like application, but with pretty restricted UI, the usage of certificates and absolutely no extensions except 1-2 I want to allow (practically hardcoded). I stick to the 'application' term because I <b>have to have</b> one single executable for integrity checks reason.

Is it possible with libxul or XUL Runner?

BR,
Alex