Has anyone else been ripped off for $68.83 to download

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
granie66

Has anyone else been ripped off for $68.83 to download

Post by granie66 »

Firefox 2008..I just went to Mozilla to download Firefox & saw download for nesest version 2008..I clicked on download & than changed to website asking if I wanted a 3yr warranty for service & XP toolx. I OK. I've used FireFox for a long time & they can use the money. I entered my payment info & went to download browser & all I found to download was Google Earth...I tried to contact the customer service at that site & they didn't reconize my username Or e-mail address that I had just been given.
The charge is to MYmusicbill.com. Has anyone else had this happen to them & is Mozilla.org aware of this.
SK.

Post by SK. »

You are mixing a lot of information that doesn't make complete sense.

First, MozillaZine (these forums) are not Mozilla (the company that makes Firefox). Mozilla can be reached via www.mozilla.com or www.mozilla.org.

Second, the most recent version of Firefox is 2.0.0.12. From what exact link were you attempting to download Firefox?

Third, you appear to have been taken. You may want to get your credit card company to cancel the charge.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It's well known, but I don't know if Mozilla is actually on it. Look here.
But it would be nice to know where you found the link.

Oh, look here. Another "sponsored link". Google isn't helping this.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

See bugs 417868 and 414159. Now that it's been reported, we can expect a bug fix any time soon now, maybe with Firefox 4 or 5. :) (But please don't comment in bug reports unless you have new information. It doesn't help get them fixed.)
granie66

the link

Post by granie66 »

I found the like on the Mozilla.org site..there was a free download for firefox and opposite that was a download link for FireFox 2008..Same way I've always download firefox..until today.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Can you provide a screen shot of what you are seeing? See this knowledge base page for instructions.

I ask because I am not seeing the "Firefox 2008" link at www.mozilla.org . I just looked
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
granie66

LINK

Post by granie66 »

I went back through the history & this is the link I found for the site.http://www.2008firefox.com/?
Hope this alerts everyone else to this problem..I've used Mozilla.org for a long time & never run into this kind of thing before..
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Where did you see this, granie66? I don't see it on www.mozilla.org .

There are a bunch of links to "Firefox 2008" on the Web, which may or may not be legitimate. Firefox comes from www.mozilla.org or www.mozilla.com , but there are a bunch of ripoffs, some legit and some not. As far as I know, Firefox 2008 is not an actual version, but it's bundled with the Google Toolbar. But you NEVER have to pay for it, and you NEVER have to get it bundled with anything.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

granie66,
Yes, that's one of the scam sites. I'm pretty sure you did not actually see that link on Mozilla's own Web sites. But it is made to look like a Mozilla site, isn't it?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Might have been one of the ads here though.
Last edited by LoudNoise on February 20th, 2008, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
GRANIE66

THANKS

Post by GRANIE66 »

Thanks for your help. I've already called my credit card co. but I'm still uncertain how I got to that site from Mozilla.org...I was using IE as I was having a problem with the update on the FireFox brjowser I have...Should have left well enough alone..lol
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

One possible explanation is that you were hijacked. Take a look at your hosts file to see that it's clear. Also make sure your IE (and FF too while you're at it) is not using some strange proxy. Perhaps run some well known anti-malware proggies.
AstevenD

2008 rip off

Post by AstevenD »

People are inadvertently following the following site, http://www.2008firefox.com :twisted:, which also has a disclaimer at the bottom: "This website has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner of this software program, and provides ONLY a link to the software program. Copyright 2005,2008firefox.com All rights reserved." :doubt:

People who buy into this can lose up to about $80 depending on which "plan" is selected. :oops:

They also have a "7 day guarantee" with the following detail:
"7 day satisfaction guarantee

If you are within your first 7 days of our guarantee period - you are eligible for a refund of the unused portion of your membership minus a $9.95 fee which we keep to cover the costs of processing and handling. Please allow normal banking delays of 10 to 15 days before the funds are returned to your account, should your request be accepted.

Important: We have a strict NO-REFUND policy after your 7 day satisfaction guarantee. Under no circumstances will we offer a refund for any products past this period.

Please note: All unsubstantiated and/or fraudulent chargeback requests will be prosecuted and collected to the furthest extent of the law under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)."

Pay attention to the last portion of the first paragraph: should your request be accepted :roll:

I hope that anybody who lost money can chargeback successfully :pray: .... there is nothing gained from this charge. :mad:

SKopischke wrote:Can you provide a screen shot of what you are seeing? See this knowledge base page for instructions.

I ask because I am not seeing the "Firefox 2008" link at http://www.mozilla.org . I just looked
AstevenD

Re: 2008 rip off

Post by AstevenD »

Just registered :smile:

AstevenD wrote:People are inadvertently following the following site, http://www.2008firefox.com :twisted:, which also has a disclaimer at the bottom: "This website has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner of this software program, and provides ONLY a link to the software program. Copyright 2005,2008firefox.com All rights reserved." :doubt:
Frank Lion

Re: 2008 rip off

Post by Frank Lion »

AstevenD wrote:Just registered :smile:

AstevenD wrote:People are inadvertently following the following site, http://www.2008firefox.com :twisted:, which also has a disclaimer at the bottom: "This website has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner of this software program, and provides ONLY a link to the software program. Copyright 2005,2008firefox.com All rights reserved." :doubt:

AstevenD, how are people finding that website? Do you know if any advert for it appears on any Mozilla or MozillaZine (here) site?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)