Console Filter 0.3.3 [EOL]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Philip Chee

Console Filter 0.3.3 [EOL]

Post by Philip Chee »

Console Filter has been discontinued. It is recommended to use Console² instead.
Console² 0.5 now contains a built in version of the Console Filter bar.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Console Filter helps you to find the relevant errors in the JavaScript Console.

If you use JavaScript in strict mode (javascript.options.strict is set), it can get pretty difficult to find your own lapses and oversights. Console Filter gives you more control over the console, so that you can focus on debugging instead of digging:

The filter syntax is some kind of "Google Lite": the messages in the console are searched for all terms entered (AND search), but must not contain any terms preceded by a minus sign (NOT search); terms inside quotations marks must be found in that order (exact phrase):
example wrote:error -expect "declaration dropped"

Additionally, there are a few special category filters:
  • @js (JavaScript errors only),
  • @css (CSS errors only),
  • @xml (XML/XUL/XBL/HTML errors only), and
  • @- (messages and strict warnings only).
These can be enabled through about:config (recommended for Firefox 1.5).

The filter textbox can be focused (and its content selected) through the hotkeys [Ctrl]+[K] (as the Web Search bar - opposing to [Ctrl]+[L] for the evaluation field) and [Ctrl]+[Q].

The current filter is saved between sessions, as is a list of up to ten permanent filters. To add a filter to that list, confirm it with [Return]. To remove it again, just right-click on it.

Download
Console Filter 0.3.3

This release should work for all Mozilla based products with a JavaScript Console and an extension framework: Firefox 1.0 to 3.7a, Thunderbird 1.0 to 3.2a, Nvu 1.0, Sunbird 0.7 to 1.0, Netscape 7.2 to 9.0.0.*, Mozilla Suite 1.7.x, SeaMonkey 1.0 to 2.1a and the Gecko 1.9.3 nightlies.

Revisions
~~ 0.3.3 ~~~~
* [update] maxVersion bump for current Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey trunk nightlies.
* [new] Compatibility metadata (install.rdf) for various obscure gecko/toolkit applications such as eMusic DLM, Spicebird, Fennec, and Postbox supplied by Seamaiden. Note: these applications are not officially supported and are untested. I'm taking Seamaidens word that Console Filter works in these applications.

~~ 0.3.2 ~~~~
* [fix] On Trunk 1.9.1 the config.dtd does not have the |show.all| entity.

~~ 0.3.1 ~~~~
* [new] maxVersion bump for Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey nightlies.
* [fix] Typo in the XPFE/SeaMonkey keyset ID.
* [fix] Better way of dealing with a missing keyset ID in Firefox 1.0.
* [nit] Update the Array.prototype.map implementation (for Gecko 1.7 applications) to match the reference implementation on DevMo.

~~ 0.3 ~~~~
* Bug fix: toolbar customization was broken for Console²/Thunderbird 1.5
* Released on 2005-10-28 (discontinued on 2006-04-26)

~~ 0.2.16+ ~~~~
* Update for Console² v0.2:
- Restoring the default toolbars now doesn't clear them.
- Cursor movements made the console scroll to the selected item

~~ 0.2.15+ ~~~~
* Bug fix: The "All" button was always clicked at startup with categories enabled

~~ 0.2.14+ ~~~~
* Update for Console² v0.1.7:
- CF filters now without flickering
- CF is hidden by default and must be manually added to a toolbar first

~~ 0.2.13+ ~~~~
* Update for Console² v0.1.4:
- CF correctly replaces the search box in the customize dialog
- Added a new category filter: @xml

~~ 0.2.12+ ~~~~
* Compatibility update for >Console²

~~ 0.2.11+ ~~~~
* Category filtering can be switched off (extensions.consolefilter.categories, off by default)
* Added <Show> filter to the drop-down menu

~~ 0.2.10 ~~~~
* Compatibility update for the 1.4+ branch, the 1.6+ trunk and MultiZilla
* Changed the -@ filter to @-

~~ 0.2.9 ~~~~
* Added category filters (@js, @css, -@)
* Added Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey compatibility

~~ 0.2. ~~~~
* Added a filter history

~~ 0.1.1 ~~~~
* Bug fix: Restored the option to copy error messages (0.1.1)

~~ 0.1 ~~~~
* Initial release 2005-05-11
Last edited by Philip Chee on March 19th, 2010, 7:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Just a minor update:

NEW:
1. New homepage
2. maxVersion bump so that CF will work in the current nightlies.
3. minor bugs and nits fixed.

TODO:
1. Source a new extension icon (don't rely on the existence of chrome://global/skin/icons/Question.png")
2. Fix remaining bugs* (if any).

* Please add your bug reports to this thread.

Also reasonable suggestions for improvements welcome (unreasonable suggestions will be politely ignored).

Phil
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Wow, fantastic, I've been dragging this one along for a long time. how about eMusic Remote and Toolkit 1.9 support?
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mrtech wrote:Wow, fantastic, I've been dragging this one along for a long time. how about eMusic Remote and Toolkit 1.9 support?
Sure. Thanks for reminding me.

Phil
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Thunderbird 2.0 doesn't like the update url commenting missing "!".

fixed:

Code: Select all

<!--<updateURL>http://console2.mozdev.org/update-cf2.xml</updateURL>-->

oh yeah and thanks for the quick update and inclusion of Remote and 1.9 toolkit.
Last edited by mrtech on February 22nd, 2008, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

also there is a long standing bug I think with Console² on Mac OS that fails to show the customize toolbar and you can't access any icons nor Console Filter. But I can confirm that without Console² Console Filter does work, just an fyi, thanks again.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mrtech wrote:Thunderbird 2.0 doesn't like the update url commenting missing "!".

fixed:

Code: Select all

<!--<updateURL>http://console2.mozdev.org/update-cf2.xml</updateURL>-->

oh yeah and thanks for the quick update and inclusion of Remote and 1.8 toolkit.
Aargh. Thanks. Fixed.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mrtech wrote:also there is a long standing bug I think with Console² on Mac OS that fails to show the customize toolbar and you can't access any icons nor Console Filter. But I can confirm that without Console² Console Filter does work, just an fyi, thanks again.
AFAIK on OSX, toolkit apps use a "sheet" (not a real OSX sheet, but emulated with a panel - or iframe depending on application version) and Console² doesn't know anything about customizeToolbarSheet.xul, nor how to invoke it. And since I don't have a Mac it is very unlikely that I will be able to fix it.

Phil
alta88

Post by alta88 »

great. but, again, wouldn't it be easier just to include it in console²?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

alta88 wrote:great. but, again, wouldn't it be easier just to include it in console²?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2229698#2229698
zeniko wrote:Not by me. In my taste, this extension is too much of a hack to enter into Console²'s code. Anyway, it currently still works fine for the nightlies - and will probably for quite a while (as long as you use MTLI to work around the maxVersion)...
Secondly Console Filter works in Gecko 1.7 applications where Console² doesn't.

Phil
alta88

Post by alta88 »

yeah i know, thought i'd try with a new owner...

some suggestions:
1. the xul doesn't align (i keep all 3 boxes on one toolbar), due to #search-box <textbox> padding the other two don't have. all parent boxes and children boxes for all 3 should be the same height. that would make skinning easier - and i like to look at my errors in a nice frame..
2. it would be nice if the #search-box were also an autocomplete like eval.

thanks.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

alta88 wrote:1. the xul doesn't align (i keep all 3 boxes on one toolbar), due to #search-box <textbox> padding the other two don't have. all parent boxes and children boxes for all 3 should be the same height. that would make skinning easier - and i like to look at my errors in a nice frame..
I've squinted at the DOM Inspector from several different angles but I can't see any padding on the #search-box <textbox> so I'm mystified. But then CSS was never my strong suite.
alta88 wrote:2. it would be nice if the #search-box were also an autocomplete like eval.
I'll look into this in my copious free time. :doubt:

Phil
alta88

Post by alta88 »

in the default theme in minefield, all 3 <toolbaritem> are 27px high, eval/filter <textbox>/<menulist> are 23px high with 0px top & bottom padding. search <textbox> is 22px high, with top/bottom padding of 2px/3px.

box model option in DOMi is your friend..

re autocomplete: i think just adding type=autocomplete gets you halfway there.

oh, all of a sudden in console² when clicking the error line, code source doesn't position at that line but at the top. looks like it started a few days ago in minefield (i usually have the latest); no console errors.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

I'm moving the discussion to the Console² topic since the discussion is now on Console².

Phil
Philip Chee

Re: Console Filter 0.3.2

Post by Philip Chee »

Console Filter 0.3.2 helps you to find the relevant errors in the JavaScript Console.

If you use JavaScript in strict mode (javascript.options.strict is set), it can get pretty difficult to find your own lapses and oversights. Console Filter gives you more control over the console, so that you can focus on debugging instead of digging:

The filter syntax is some kind of "Google Lite": the messages in the console are searched for all terms entered (AND search), but must not contain any terms preceded by a minus sign (NOT search); terms inside quotations marks must be found in that order (exact phrase):
example wrote:error -expect "declaration dropped"

Additionally, there are a few special category filters:
  • @js (JavaScript errors only),
  • @css (CSS errors only),
  • @xml (XML/XUL/XBL/HTML errors only), and
  • @- (messages and strict warnings only).
These can be enabled through about:config (recommended for Firefox 1.5).

The filter textbox can be focused (and its content selected) through the hotkeys [Ctrl]+[K] (as the Web Search bar - opposing to [Ctrl]+[L] for the evaluation field) and [Ctrl]+[Q].

The current filter is saved between sessions, as is a list of up to ten permanent filters. To add a filter to that list, confirm it with [Return]. To remove it again, just right-click on it.

This release should work for all Mozilla based products with a JavaScript Console and an extension framework: Firefox 1.0 to 3.1b2, Thunderbird 1.0 to 3.0b1, Nvu 1.0, Sunbird 0.7 to 0.9, Netscape 7.2 to 9.0.0.*, Mozilla Suite 1.7.x, SeaMonkey 1.0 to 2.0a1 and the Gecko 1.9.1 nightlies.

Changes
* [fix] On Trunk 1.9.1 the config.dtd does not have the |show.all| entity.

Download
Console Filter 0.3.2