Multiple Identities

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
COUME

Post by COUME »

raybirks wrote:I believe this is the first ThunderBird bug for this feature:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215126

I recommend adding your e-mail address to the CC: list as a vote for this bug.

That's done :)
I added my email address
<a href="http://www.lubox.com">http://www.lubox.com </a> - <a href="http://forum.lubox.com">http://forum.lubox.com</a>
Email Services, How-To (Linux,PHP,...), Freeware...
Come have a look, and you can even drop a msg on the forum!
prophecy

Post by prophecy »

pookey wrote:I personally don't think identities should be tired to an incomming account atall.

Identities should contain (IMO):-
- E-Mail Address
- Name
- Reply-to
- Signature
- PGP ID

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly how it should be. And when replying to a mail it will default to the closest matching identity address: 1. check for exact match, if no exact match, match up the first identity with the matching @domain.com.
angelday

Post by angelday »

I'm really interested in seeing this feature implemented. (I was about to post a new topic on this.)

I think what we're talking about here called "aliases". For each identity you could define a set of aliases (an identity defines the servers and other preferences) which then would be available from the drop-down list.

There are so many cases when it is a must. I have for instance multiple domain names and multiple aliases bound to my "real" email address, but for now I have to work this around by using fake mail servers. *aick*
blujay

Post by blujay »

Please, please, please, please, please! Like others, this is the only major feature keeping me tied to OE right now. I could switch to a non-free e-mail client, but I want to use Thunderbird. But I have a personal domain, and receive mail to many addresses at other domains, and being able to send mail with different from addresses is a must.

I'd like to be able to set some predefined choices, and be able to freely edit the From field as well.
angelday

Post by angelday »

So, what should the eager community do to have this feature built into TB? :)

Thunderbird is highly customisable through its extension system. It may don't even require a "key" programmer to work on it, but some clever fella who is familiar with the architecture and we'll all be happy for the rest of our lives.
oiv

Post by oiv »

With some research done. I found out this in prefs.js
I had 3 identities 1 = pop, 2 = localfolders and 3 = news. I added a 4. manually. like this.

1st account4=id4 and pointing to server1
user_pref("mail.account.account4.identities", "id4");
user_pref("mail.account.account4.server", "server1");

add account 4 to accounts
user_pref("mail.accountmanager.accounts", "account1,account2,account3,account4");

Some of these may not be neede, but seems to work with these.
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.doBcc", false);
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.draft_folder", "mailbox://me@pop.xxxx.yy/Drafts");
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.drafts_folder_picker_mode", "0");
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.fcc_folder", "mailbox://me@pop.xxxx.yy/Sent");
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.fcc_folder_picker_mode", "0");
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.fullName", "My Name");
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.smtpServer", "smtp1");
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.stationery_folder", "mailbox://me@pop.xxxx.yy/Templates");
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.tmpl_folder_picker_mode", "0");
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.useremail", "my1alias@xxxx.yyy");
user_pref("mail.identity.id4.valid", true);

Works for me. Now of course take normal "not responsible for anything and take backups etc." And ofcourse. This is propalbly only for those who know which lines are needed and what to put on the xxx and yy parts.

So just a method to mange these from program instead of using text editor...
Claus

Post by Claus »

Oiv, your solution works. Thanks for the tip.

I still prefer some nice interface and official support of alternate identities or the ability to overwrite the from address.

Till then I'll have to live with the prefs.js hack and hope that the developer add support for it in the next release.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Radiance wrote:Actually, the multiple identity feature is the only thing that is binding me to that awful Outlook Express.

Unbind yourself. While you are waiting for Tbird to improve, give Pegasus a try. It does multiple identities reasonably well.
av1998

Post by av1998 »

Is this feature available yet in Thunderbird 0.4 ? This discussions started in July 2003 ..... it is now January 2004 ..... 6-7 months later ..... what is the status ?
Old Unghost

Post by Old Unghost »