Youtube videos pausing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
SysStream

Post by SysStream »

actually, its not related to choppy reception. if there's bad connection/low bandwidth sure the user will notice that. it's really the flash player's problem. many users encountered this problem in various forums across the net.

and so, the day is saved. thanks to: Alice
Marcusbrutus

Post by Marcusbrutus »

I've got the same problem (must hover over the youtube vid player to get it to buffer). Those of you that are having that problem, are you using a wireless connection? I am, and when I plug directly into my router with an ethernet cable the problem mysteriously disappears, any thoughts?
v1dbirk

Post by v1dbirk »

Marcusbrutus wrote:I've got the same problem (must hover over the youtube vid player to get it to buffer). Those of you that are having that problem, are you using a wireless connection? I am, and when I plug directly into my router with an ethernet cable the problem mysteriously disappears, any thoughts?

I was able to fix this by going into my wireless router configuration and lowering the Fragmentation Threshold. I changed mine from the default of 2346 to 2046.

Fragmentation Threshold: (Default: 2346, Range: 256 - 2346)
MarcusBrutus

Post by MarcusBrutus »

Figured it out, but I'm not sure if it was a combination of things or this all along. Go to your about:config page and turn network.http.pipelining on, no need to change any other values. I no longer need to move my mouse to watch Youtube videos.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

<b>EDIT: Pandking has pointed out that there is a specific, KNOWN bug in Flash that <i>will be fixed.</i> While this may not solve all problems mentioned in this thread, it should solve the main ones. For details see Pandking's posts.</b>

A lot of solutions have been proposed here, and someone attest to every one of them, but I'm not so sure.

I have seen it when I could only get one frame every second or two on YouTube--especially from one particular video. I could see that the modem was barely receiving any data, so I figured out that it was the Web site. Then it worked with another operating system. It worked perfectly, and I thought "Aha!" But then on another day everything worked with both operating systems no matter what I did, so it was the Web site after all.

Here's what I suspect is happening with a large group of people. If you don't solve the problem or find out it's the Web site, you don't think anything of it, and you don't post. If you do something and it starts working, you immediately post the "solution".

Now if every one of you waves a chicken bone over the computer and then buries the bone, I'll bet that a certain number of you will find that that convincingly solves the problem. Go try it now. Don't think. Just do it. If you can't find a chicken bone, substitute something powerful like a cat or a clove of garlic.

I think that's what's happening here, with reports that:

* Updating Flash solves the problem
* Reverting to an older Flash solves the problem
* Fixing the network packet size solves the problem
* Pipelining solves the problem
* Waving a mouse solves the problem
* ...and soon, waving a chicken bone solves the problem.

I can't be sure that's the whole problem, but I suspect that it's a big part of it. (Gotta admit, waving the mouse is hard to explain.) I can tell you in my case it was the Web site, but I was fooled for a while.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on February 21st, 2008, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
pandaking

Post by pandaking »

I completely disagree:
The problem we are talking about here is the video playing and then stopping at 2 seconds and you can't make it play further.
Flash have admitted there is a bug which causes this and reverting to a previous version will fix it, while the bug will be resolved in the next flash update.

There are other people on here recently who have been hijacking this thread because it has the word "youtube" in it, and there problems are not the same as the issue discussed in this thread.
The problem with the mouse waving is not the same, the choppy video is not the same, and the other solutions you posted may fix these completely separate issues.

The only solution to the problem this thread was made for is to downgrade to a previous version of flash - simple.
If you have a problem which is slightly different to this thread, make a new one - don't hijack this.
Mangel

sulution?

Post by Mangel »

Been reading through this thread now because.. yeah guess what.. i had the same problem earlier today, which i have had for a while. Kinda p***ed me of plenty...

First of all, i noticed that when i restarted ff and only had one tab open... there was no problem running a video from youtube. But when i had a bunch (10++) tabs open, the problem was back.
So i therefor i though it might bee an issue with to much memory being used...

Anyway, got reminded om page 3? how the about: thingie works... and that i have reduced the the
browser.cache.memory.capacity to 4096 or something.. to try to reduce the memory used by ff...
after running about:cache, i saw that it wasn't enough...
so therefor i configured
browser.cache.memory.capacity to 20480 (don't know if this is enough, and this setting is unlimited standard i think)
browser.cache.memory.capacity to 100000
and for the flash player i increased the settings > local storage to 1mb
(i haven't bothered to check which of these settings actually fixed it, or if it was the combination)

It solved the problem for me, don't know for you... btw i haven't restarted the pc yet....

I hope this helps you guys, it's a real pain in the *** this problem.
And sorry for the crappy explanation, but that's just like me...

Feel free to correct me :)
Mangel

Post by Mangel »

New day... didn't work today... but i noticed when using about:cache that the disk cache use was twice what it was yesterday after i reloaded the same session... so i increased browser.cache.memory.capacity to 150000 and now it works again... guess thats where the problem lies...
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

pandaking wrote:The problem we are talking about here is the video playing and then stopping at 2 seconds and you can't make it play further.
Flash have admitted there is a bug which causes this and reverting to a previous version will fix it, while the bug will be resolved in the next flash update.

One problem down.

pandaking wrote:The problem with the mouse waving is not the same, the choppy video is not the same, and the other solutions you posted may fix these completely separate issues. If you have a problem which is slightly different to this thread, make a new one - don't hijack this.

Yeah, that tends to happen on this forum. Sorry for any confusion. But I still think intermittent problems lead to posting of some intermittent fixes. To wit:...
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Mangel wrote:New day... didn't work today..

I'm not surprised. It's an intermittent problem. Tinkering with memory cache settings is not usually productive. It works fine with the defaults. Besides, check out that Flash problem.

Please don't get started discussing memory on this thread. It's a completely separate issue, rather complicated, and better discussed in a separate thread. I think video is cached on the hard drive anyway, but in the case of long videos, I don't think they are even kept in the usual disk cache.

EVERYONE:
<b>Check your modem light while video is playing. It should be blinking constantly. If it stops or slows down dramatically, that means you aren't receiving data.</b>
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on February 21st, 2008, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Pandaking,
Do you have a link to more information on the Flash problem? You say Adobe is fixing it. It would be nice to post an authoritative answer. Thanks.
Mangel

Post by Mangel »

Well, it fixed my problem......
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Mangel, I doubt if resetting the disk cache has anything to do with your problem. I just set the cache size to 0 and watched a fast-action, 8-minute video. Go ahead, try it.
mike95060

An Answer To Pausing At 2 Seconds/No Sound

Post by mike95060 »

Recent posts by Alice, Pandaking, VanillaMozilla are correct at least for me; previous version works for me and not just for a day or two. We need to be aware that we will not be notified of the next version of FlashPlayer which will address security issues.

Again, here is how to install previous version:

[quote]Newsgroups: macromedia.players.flash
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:30:26 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: No sound, video stops playing after few seconds

Shancan Wrote: "FlashPlayer 9.0.115.0 is causing all sorts of playback
problems; doesn't matter which browser or platform. Try an earlier version of
Flashplayer like 9.0.47.0. and see if that helps. "

Finally an answer that works. Running 9.0.47.0 now and it seems to be ok.

I got the version 9.0.47.0 at the "Archived Flash Players available for
testing purposes" page:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... &sliceId=2

Extracted the .47 version and (after uninstalling all flash) ran the windows
installer. Seems to work fine in Firefox now.

I've changed settings to keep Flash from updating unless I okay it Change your
flash settings by means of the following page:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger02.html
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Unfortunately, here's the bad news.
Secunia wrote:Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code when a user e.g. visits a malicious website. The vulnerability affects versions 9.0.45.0 and prior.

http://secunia.com/advisories/26027/ Don't go back too far.

Now for the really bad news. According to Secunia, there are more highly critical security vulnerabilities in more recent versions.
Secunia wrote:<b>Solution:</b>
Update to version 9.0.115.0.

http://secunia.com/advisories/26027/

Supposedly the vulnerabilities are also fixed in 7.0.73.0. If you can't get by with that version, I would suggest not watching too many videos..