Workaround to send/receive Verizon email in Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
BRies

Workaround to send/receive Verizon email in Thunderbird

Post by BRies »

There is no direct way to access a verizon.net email account from Thunderbird 2.0 - access to Verizon's email accounts appears to be restricted by design. There is an obtuse way to use a Verizon account with Thunderbird by working through a Gmail account. The advantage of doing this is to be able to use email offline, and to avoid Verizon's clunky email client. Google's Gmail can send and receive verizon.net email through a POP account, and a Gmail IMAP account can be created in Thunderbird to retrieve verizon.net messages from Gmail.

To set up your new Gmail account in Thunderbird, select > Account Settings from teh Tools Menu, and select > Add Account from the bottom of the page. On the first menu, do not select the Gmail option - select "email account" instead. The remaining steps are described in the Gmail help section for configuring Thunderbird: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=77662

To configure your Gmail account to send/receive verizon.net email, you need to enable IMAP mail under the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab, and then open >settings, >accounts, >Get mail from other accounts: >add another mail account, and enter: your verizon email name, verizon password, set mail.verizon.net as the POP server and use Port 110.

In your Verizon.net account, you may need to unblock the gmail.com domain under the Block Senders tab.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Not true. Many here use Verizon accounts in Thunderbird with no help from GMail. See the Verizon entry here: Creating accounts for popular email providers

And this: SOLVED: Can't send e-mail, SMTP/password problems w/Verizon
Tim Le

Send/receive Verizon email in Thunderbird

Post by Tim Le »

THERE IS A DIRECT WAY TO receive and send Verizon emails using Thunderbird.

After messing around for hours, I finally found the solution.

In Thunderbird, go to Tools -> Account Settings -> Add Account ->Email Account --> Type in your name then -> type in the Verizon email address, e.g. myname@verizon.net -> Hit next.

Incoming server is: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net -> Next --> incoming user name: is the myname part in the myname@verizon.net. Account name is the verizon email address. -> Next and Finish.

In the Server Settings tabs. Port: 110. Use secure connection: choose Never.

In the Outgoing Server(SMTP)--(Select it by choosing the verizon and hit Edit. )
Discription: Verizon
Server Name: outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net
Port: 25
Security and Authentication.
->Make sure the "Use name and password" is checked. Otherwise it will fail. -> Enter your login username.
"Use secure connection": Never--> This is the key of the whole thing. Verizon does not support TLS or SSL.

Click OK to get out.

Happy using Thunderbird with your verizon email.
CHood

Re: Workaround to send/receive Verizon email in Thunderbird

Post by CHood »

I have tried your DIRECT WAY TO receive and send Verizon emails using Thunderbird. I get this message:

"Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server incoming.yahoo.verizon.net responded: Error logging in. Please visit http://mail.yahoo.com".

I am really stumbling through my first attempt at setting up an email account.
Would appreciate any help!
3I676

Post by 3I676 »

I seem to have an odd problem..... I have my master verizon email account. Using Thunderbird the master both receives and sends email.... on the sub account however, it will only receive but never send from Thunderbird...
any ideas?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

3I676,
You have a different problem. Please start a new topic.

Re: Send/receive Verizon email in Thunderbird

Post by Guest »

Tim Le wrote:THERE IS A DIRECT WAY TO receive and send Verizon emails using Thunderbird.

After messing around for hours, I finally found the solution.

In Thunderbird, go to Tools -> Account Settings -> Add Account ->Email Account --> Type in your name then -> type in the Verizon email address, e.g. myname@verizon.net -> Hit next.

Incoming server is: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net -> Next --> incoming user name: is the myname part in the myname@verizon.net. Account name is the verizon email address. -> Next and Finish.

In the Server Settings tabs. Port: 110. Use secure connection: choose Never.

In the Outgoing Server(SMTP)--(Select it by choosing the verizon and hit Edit. )
Discription: Verizon
Server Name: outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net
Port: 25
Security and Authentication.
->Make sure the "Use name and password" is checked. Otherwise it will fail. -> Enter your login username.
"Use secure connection": Never--> This is the key of the whole thing. Verizon does not support TLS or SSL.

Click OK to get out.

Happy using Thunderbird with your verizon email.

Tim,

Thanks, this works (at least for Verizon DSL in Washington, DC). Verizon's own website tells you to use "incoming.verizon.net" and "outgoing.verizon.net" which do not work.

Thanks again for taking the time to spell it out!

Post by Guest »

I am sorry to report that the above setup DID NOT WORK on a new Verizon FIOS internet installlation. Cannot find a way to get Thunderbird to work.

Ed
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Please start your own new topic rather than drag one up that's almost 2 years old. A lot changes in that time. Locking.