RETR Command on Mozilla Thunderbird Error retrieving message

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dommytoni

RETR Command on Mozilla Thunderbird Error retrieving message

Post by dommytoni »

Have a strange fault suddenly occur BOTH on my Laptop AND main PC yesterday. I have been using using Mozilla Thunderbird for several years now and yesterday when retrieving messages I got:

"The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: problem retrieving message".

I am able to send messages on SMTP but not retrieve them on POP3. Any ideas please?

Have not carried out any updates etc.

Regards dommy.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That message indicates an error on the server and not in Thunderbird. Have you tried again since getting the error? Can you access that account through a webmail interface? If you can, review the oldest message in the server Inbox and then delete it or move it to another folder as the message header may be malformed and blocking the POP download.
Frank Reed

Post by Frank Reed »

I have the same problem [receiving RETR command did not receive, etc].Am running TB2.0.0.12 & WinPro SP2, Webmail 1.3.1 & Webmail-yahoo 1.3.2. Have deleted or moved many of the oldest messages on my Yahoo! mail account to a seperate folder or have deleted them. My other computer w/ a different yahoo address does not have this problem & has the same TB & webmails ! The only difference between the (2) server settings is "problem" computer's POP mail server's name is 127.0.0.1- port 110 ; no secure setting, while the "OK" computer's POP mail server's name is localhost- port 110 ; no secure setting.
SK.

Post by SK. »

127.0.0.1 is an internal address to your system. Have you tried changing the "problem" computer's POP mail server name?
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
Frank Reed

Post by Frank Reed »

In the "problem" account settings, I tried to change the POP server's name from 127.0.0.1 to localhost. Can not do so as I receive a message "account with that user name & server name already exists. Please enter another user name, etc". Is user name 127.0.0.1 & user name localhost the same thing? If so, why can't I change the user name to localhost instead of 127.0.0.1?
SK.

Post by SK. »

Are you using the same user name on another account in that Thunderbird profile?
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
Frank Reed

Post by Frank Reed »

No, not I am aware of. I have (2) other email addresses shown in the left hand pane [not counting "local folder"]. One uses server "mail.nbxxx.com" and the other uses "pop.earthlink.net". Is there any place that I can check for a hidden email address?
nedrod

RETR error

Post by nedrod »

Immediately after activating my iphone email, I received the same error. I am able to download mail to my phone and to both Eudora and Outlook Express but not to TBird. My other mail accounts work fine since I didn't put them on my phone. I still haven't found a solution. If anybody out there can help, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

nedrod, If Thunderbird is not involved in your current problem, why are you posting here?
nedrod

Post by nedrod »

DanRaisch wrote:nedrod, If Thunderbird is not involved in your current problem, why are you posting here?
Dan, I must have misstated the problem. I am having a problem with Thunderbird. When TBird attempts to download, I receive the "The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message." message. This began immediately after initiating my "iphone". The phone and both Eudora and Outlook Express download messages without a problem. Thunderbird doesn't download them and I receive the error message. Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try accessing the account with a browser and deleting the oldes message not downloaded to Thunderbird (or move that message to a folder other than the server inbox. There may be a invalid header blocking Thunderbird's download.
ipeng

Re: RETR Command on Mozilla Thunderbird Error retrieving message

Post by ipeng »

I have been using Tbird for a while, and receive mail from Rogers no problem up till Jan 14th, I got this message when I'm getting mail from Rogers"The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. ..." message. I have tried deleting older emails and I'm still getting the same message. Any ideas? I can still check email from Firefox browser, and still able to use Tbird to send out email.
I have also asked rogers tech, they are unable to help with the problem.
Any ideas?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

ipeng, these can be very complex and trying to answer multiple questions in one thread can lead to confusion. Please start a new topic to ensure that your issue is properly understood and supported.
tolazytologin

Post by tolazytologin »

Ya same hire. Tho I gave up on all this screwing around with thunderbird, ypops & stuff. I mean all this power & configurations & it simply does not work, so this is what I did:

I coded small app that logs into yahoo via normal "HTML"( no extra settings, pop server or any other crap, just ur username & pass ) & it retrives new messages, it simply downloads whole html page. & then lets me know.

It took me around 15 minutes to do this, was very simple. I recommend you do the same. google for autoitscript.
tombe691

Post by tombe691 »

I'm having the same problem with "The RETR command did not succeed. My soloution is simple, I only hit receive again and then I get the rest or at least a few more until I run in the next problem. Last night I had 67 new emails and had to hit the receive button about 20 times before I downloaded all. In ms outlook I never have this problem, using the same account. In tb everytime. Could it be that same users request a read reply or something similar from their mail client combined with a setting on the mailserver? Becasue from some users I can download loads and from others only one.