Menu problems on Linux with Firefox 3 theme

Discuss application theming and theme development.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Once I test a version I delete it from Fx completely and blow away the copy of your theme that was on my desktop, plus I've done a reboot or two since the last test. So unless your server gave me an old version, I'm sure I installed the latest version. I'll check the new version and let you know what happens.
Proud Ubuntu Intrepid/Mac4Lin user, and Firefox 3 has gotten me to using Epiphany as my default browser so I check these forums a lot less often than I used to.
I used to be known as (Old)HardinComp | My Blog
KLB

Post by KLB »

Thanks, your last result was totally unexpected.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Just ran the new test version and got the very same thing as the screenshot.
Proud Ubuntu Intrepid/Mac4Lin user, and Firefox 3 has gotten me to using Epiphany as my default browser so I check these forums a lot less often than I used to.
KLB

Post by KLB »

Okay I figured out what was going on. The background-color and border style of menu items was being controlled by the OS. The text color, however, was being controlled by my theme. I figured this out because no matter what I did to the background color or border they did not change on my computer. Even the "computed style" on the DOM Inspector did not correlate to what was being displayed. It then occurred to me change my Windows desktop theme from "Windows Classic" (the old Win 2000 theme) to the default WinXP blue and green theme. What I discovered was that with the default WinXP desktop theme, the menu items had the same blue background and black text that we saw with the last test.

To me this indicated that something was telling the OS to override my style instructions, when those same style instructions weren't being overridden for other themes I was using for comparison. This led me to discover some entries in my "toolbar.css" file like "-moz-appearance: toolbox;" It turns out these types of instructions are system overrides that tells Firefox to use the OS's styling for objects nested inside of the target object that the instruction is applied to. Unfortunatly the instructions don't override text color even though they override the background-color and border styling.

My solution was to go through and selectively remove the style instructions that allowed the OS to override my other style instructions. By repeatedly switching back and forth between the "Windows Classic" and "WinXP" themes I was able to find the OS overrides that needed to be eliminated. My latest test version now renders identically in both Windows desktop themes so hopefully it will also work in Linux.

The latest test file can be tried at: http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... -3.0.2.jar
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

That's even harder to read than before. It's got the white text, but with the background going to a light grey I think I preferred it when it was black on blue.

http://nancib.wordpress.com/files/2008/ ... theme4.png
KLB

Post by KLB »

Thanks, I think we are getting closer. Would you please put the following instruction in your userChrome.css file and tell me what happens:

Code: Select all

menu[_moz-menuactive="true"],
menuitem[_moz-menuactive="true"] {
  background-color: Highlight !important;
}
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

No change. Althouhg it could be because I may have creates the userChrome.css in the wrong location. I never use one and managed to find one in an old Fx2 profile. Sorry.
KLB

Post by KLB »

Okay, I put the modification in the theme and uploaded it: http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... -3.0.2.jar
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

KLB

Post by KLB »

Best of all it behaves the same way under Windows Classic and Windows XP styles. This almost feels like a small miracle. :)

Thank you so much for your help. I'll upload the update to the Mozilla Addons site and then try to document what entries need to be removed form the Windows version of the Firefox Classic theme as I'm sure this question will come up again and again.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Woo hoo! I'm glad you were able to find those annoying little buggers. Now I get to start bringing someone's OSX-style theme into Gx3 compatibility (for my own use). Wish me luck :)
KLB

Post by KLB »

The issue with menu text disappearing in Classic Compact on Firefox for Linux was resolved by making the following changes to the Windows version the Firefox 3.0b3 Classic theme CSS files that Classic Compact is based on:

/global/toolbar.css
Deleted "-moz-appearance: toolbox;" from "toolbox{}" (line 48)
Deleted "-moz-appearance: toolbar;" from "toolbar, menubar {}" (line 57)

/global/toolbarbutton.css
Deleted "-moz-appearance: toolbarbutton;" from "toolbarbutton{}" (line 48)

/global/menu.css

Changed (starts at line 47):

menupopup > menu,
menuitem {
  -moz-appearance: menuitem;
  -moz-box-align: center;
  color: MenuText;
  font: menu;
  list-style-image: none;
  -moz-image-region: auto;
}

To (added "menupopup > " to "menu"):

menupopup > menu,
menuitem {
  -moz-appearance: menuitem;
  -moz-box-align: center;
  color: MenuText;
  font: menu;
  list-style-image: none;
  -moz-image-region: auto;
}

Changed:

menubar > menu[_moz-menuactive="true"],
menubar > menu[_moz-menuactive="true"][open="true"] {
  color: -moz-menubarhovertext;
}

To:

menu[_moz-menuactive="true"],
menuitem[_moz-menuactive="true"] {
  color: -moz-menuhovertext;
  background-color: Highlight;
}
Last edited by KLB on February 28th, 2008, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KLB

Post by KLB »

HardinComp wrote:Woo hoo! I'm glad you were able to find those annoying little buggers. Now I get to start bringing someone's OSX-style theme into Gx3 compatibility (for my own use). Wish me luck :)

Good luck ;)

Maybe my notes above will help.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

The theme I am working with (the latest beta for the VFox|FINDER2 theme) has everything working pretty well. All I really need to fight with is a FUBAR Search bar and not being able to read the text on the tabs. You can see a pic from an early Fx3 beta with that theme at http://nancib.wordpress.com/files/2008/ ... issues.png but I managed to get the favicons on the left. But that's probably for another thread.
KLB

Post by KLB »

The way I migrated my theme to Firefox 3.0 was to start over the the default Firefox 3.0 theme and then slowly made modifications to that theme. Now granted my effort was much easier because I was only compacting the default theme. Without having detailed documentation of exactly how the theme rules changed between Firefox 2.0 and 3.0, I just don't see how one can build a Firefox 3.0 theme without starting with the default 3.0 theme.