Has anyone else been ripped off for $68.83 to download

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

Please post the urls here for any of these, and I will make sure they are not allowed to post ads on our site through google. I've removed softhip.com and 2008firefox.com already. I don't have any control over what ads are shown until they are shown. I can remove any urls after that.

jason
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

Also mozill.firefox-explorer.com
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

This is one scam URL firefox-2008.com
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Would it make sense to make this a sticky?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Would it make sense to ask Google to be a little more discriminating?

Funny avitar, LoudNoise. Hopefully the turtle's on a dead branch. ;)
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on February 25th, 2008, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Google - discriminating? VM, you are very funny today.... :)
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

firefox-2008.com also removed.
James

Post by James »

I do not see ads here but another scam site is yourdownloadcenter.org to block in case, as it is for for to get Firefox for $3 by way of Paypal.
EvertMn5

Post by EvertMn5 »

On this site google ads come up for www.conduit.com/Toolbar/ ... Maybe this is ok, they aren't trying to steal users money by selling fake Firefox. But they are responsible for the majority of spyware toolbar extensions that beginners install. I'm sure many remember how conduit toolbar extensions were the scourge of addons.mozilla.org before they were banned, and how they would be frequently updated to spam the "new/updated extensions" list.
bswarm

Post by bswarm »

Doing a google search for Firefox returns google ads in the sidebar with phishing links.
Example...

Free FF Browser
now with free toolbar
download Mozialla FF Browser today
www.Mozilla.com/firefox

but this link takes you to http ://firefox-latest.com/us/?cid=GEUS008&gclid=CMbk2OPo6pECFQ3LiQodXS5HrA
teachernz

firefox 2008 scam

Post by teachernz »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Would it make sense to ask Google to be a little more discriminating?

Funny avitar, LoudNoise. Hopefully the turtle's on a dead branch. ;)

Even funnier, Google are having the same problem - and serving up the site through adwords.

http ://earth-2008-online.com/?OVRAW=Google%20Earth&OVKEY=google%20earth&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=10757784521&OVKWID=116235825021
steviex

Post by steviex »

Hmmm..... This is what you mean ??

Note the Russia domain that NoScript has blocked....
Google Earth SHOULD be downloaded from HERE... http://earth.google.com/ .... Note the Green FREE box !!

EDIT.....
I Have made all the links to these dodgy sites unclickable. If you want to visit them (at your own risk) remove the space I have inserted after the http:

Could all future URLS be unclickable please (remember the forum converts the correct syntax to clickable links)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
stokerjanie

MYmusicbill got me too

Post by stokerjanie »

On Feb. 19 there was a sale on my charge from Mymusicbill com as I was trying to get a version of Google Earth downloaded. If this is a scam (as I've been trying to find an email addr to write them, what can be done?
steviex

Post by steviex »

I would email Google. See if they have a place for you to report this. I would also talk to your Credit Card Company too. If there is a Fraud involved, then they may be able to help you.

Edit....
Google Earth Forum is HERE.... http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0
It might be worth commenting there (You will need to register there to post in their Forum)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Jack 1000

Post by Jack 1000 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Where did you see this, granie66? I don't see it on www.mozilla.org .

There are a bunch of links to "Firefox 2008" on the Web, which may or may not be legitimate. Firefox comes from www.mozilla.org or www.mozilla.com , but there are a bunch of ripoffs, some legit and some not. As far as I know, Firefox 2008 is not an actual version, but it's bundled with the Google Toolbar. But you NEVER have to pay for it, and you NEVER have to get it bundled with anything.

Totally agree,

You should ONLY download software and software updates from trusted sites. Or by selecting "Check For Updates" or something similar from within a trusted program. Firefox 2008 may not only be a fraud site, you may have some viruses and or malware on your computer because Firefox 2008 is not a legit version. You should update and run your virus scan software and do the same for any malware removal programs on your system.

Trend Micro's Housecall is an outstanding (and free) virus and malware remover program. (It does require a high-speed Internet connection.) You should use this in addition to updating and running any Ant-Virus Software and malware removal programs on your system.

Here is the link to Housecall's on line virus scanner:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It may take about a while to do the scan, but let it do its thing and than if you are asked to scan again, which you will be asked to do if the program finds something, do so. Hope this helps!

Jack