Thunderbird and Proxy authentication

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Gael42

Thunderbird and Proxy authentication

Post by Gael42 »

Hi,

I'm using Thunderbird version 2.0.0.9 (20071031) under windows XP Pro SP2.

I'm behind a proxy with authentication and thunderbird cannot acces IMAP and POP servers over the proxy.
I even cannot send e-mails to external mail servers.

Thunderbird never prompt me for my login/password to pass over the proxy ... i think that's probably where the problem is but i cannot find anything on the internet about this.

Does anyone got an idea ?

Thanks in advance,

Gael
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

How did you configure tools -> preferences -> advanced -> network & disk space -> connection -> connection?

1. What instructions (without giving usernames or passwords) did your site admin provide for how to configure applications to use the proxy?
2. What type of proxy is it?
3. What applications work with that proxy?
Gael42

Post by Gael42 »

Hi tanstaafl and thx for your response,

It's an HTTP proxy,
i got its URL and port,
and it's working with all my aplications (FireFox, FileZIlla, SSH clients, scp clients, etc...).

ThunderBird is the only application that i do not manage to use with that proxy.

Thanks in advance (again :-D)

Gael
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If its a HTTP proxy, I wouldn't expect it to support POP, IMAP and SMTP since they don't piggyback on HTTP. They're sent over a TCP-IP connection.

Does your SSH client use TCP/UDP port 22? The reason I'm asking is the applications seem to use/piggyback on either HTTP or each other.

See if Outlook Express works.
gael42

Post by gael42 »

Thx you were right !

I set up my Thunderbird to work via SOCKS and not HTTP Proxy ...

it works !

thx again

Gael

Post by Guest »

gael42 wrote:Thx you were right !

I set up my Thunderbird to work via SOCKS and not HTTP Proxy ...

it works !

thx again

Gael

How do I configure Thunderbird to use SOCKS
crzylee

Re: Thunderbird and Proxy authentication

Post by crzylee »

I am having a similar issue. I am a tech but not a Net Admin, and have been relocated to a satellite office. At our main office we had a direct connection to the internet, at our satellite offices we connect through an HTTP proxy with authentication. How can I configure Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 to prompt me for a login? Currently it just times out looking for my host server. I am able to send e-mail's but not receive.
toiletrulle

Post by toiletrulle »

Hi - I'm running Thunderbird version 2.0.0.19 (20081209) on Windows Vista Enterprise SP1.
I'm at school behind a proxy, I'm using a .dat file to automaticly configure the proxy settings for my firefox.
I tried to use the same file for thunderbird, but without any luck. It is a HTTP proxy, and i've tried to set up the proxy settings manually too. My network admin claims that the proxy should allow both IMAP, POP and SMTP.
I have to use authentication to use the proxy (e.g. when using FF), but thunderbird never asks for my login info.

Any help?

Post by Guest »

in the office, we use proxy with authentication. TB doesn't ask for authentication, just times out. FF works with the same proxy settings, however it ASKS for user/pass. how to get TB to ask for user/pass??