How Do I Activate The "Print Frame"

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
sirmilt

How Do I Activate The "Print Frame"

Post by sirmilt »

Hi:

When I try to print a web page the "Print" dialog box named "Print Frames" is grayed out. The option to print "As laid out on the screen" as well as the other two options are not available to me.

I've searched the knowledge base and every other place that I can think of and can get no help on this subject. Is the option to select from the "Print Frame" selection available in Firefox? If so how?

Thanks for the help.
sirmilt
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

You're only gonna see those Print Frames options become active on true frame-based pages. I-frames on pages don't count.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
sirmilt

Post by sirmilt »

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure that I know what you mean when you refer to I frames.

When I try to print a web page I get several sheets each with different segments of the same web page. Is there any way to work around this without reverting to the Microsoft Internet Explorer which gives me the "Print Frame" dialog box on the same web page that does not in the Thunderbird?

I would rather not go back to Internet Explorer, but I find that I frequently need to print a web page. Hopefully, there is an answer.
sirmilt
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Does this affect one or a few particular sites? You could post some links and have other users look to see if it's something about that site.
sirmilt

Post by sirmilt »

This site is an example.

If I try to print the page the "Print Frame " is grayed out. My home page, excite.com is another example as is the CitiBank site.

Thanks for trying to help,
sirmilt
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

sirmilt wrote:This site is an example.

If I try to print the page the "Print Frame " is grayed out.

On this site, there are no "frames" in the sense that Firefox understands. On some pages, there are <iframe> elements, for example the "Topic Review" section when you are editing a message; that inline frame shows the rest of the thread. As noted above, the print frame feature is designed for old-fashioned frames where the places are completely separate from one another. It does not apply to inline frames.

But I might be missing your point. Why do you need that section of the print dialog? What exactly do you want to print, or what is going wrong? If the problem is that the printout is different than the screen layout, there are several possible reasons for this. One is an intentional choice by the author to specify alternative styles for printing.

Please explain what you want in more detail. :-)
Weatherlawyer

Post by Weatherlawyer »

Is the printer connected, inked up and ready to go?

Are there printer driver problems?
sirmilt

Post by sirmilt »

jscher2000

Thanks for trying to help. Here's a web site that causes the problem:

http://www.glenwoodoaks.com/index2.ivnu

When I try and print I don't have the Print Frame option available and each page prints in separate sections on separate pages..

Weatherlawyer
The printer was my first thought but it works fine withe IE 7.

Thanks to both of you for trying to help.

Milt
sirmilt
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

sirmilt wrote:Here's a web site that causes the problem:

http://www.glenwoodoaks.com/index2.ivnu

When I try and print I don't have the Print Frame option available and each page prints in separate sections on separate pages.

I'm not sure what you mean by "each page." On that page, I get a printout with a very narrow, long column of text (because the pictures consume a lot of space on the right side). There are no frames there. I'm just using the built in print feature, nothing special. Do you have an add-on that might be reformatting things?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Milt,

Right-click that page and select View Page Source, that page doesn't have any Frames, it is made with a Table to display the various 'columns' of the page navigation of the left side, the text in the middle, and the images on the right.

That page is displayed in Quirks Mode because it doesn't "tell" the browser what standard of display to apply to that page by way of a Doctype.
Invalid - http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http: ... ndex2.ivnu
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Weatherlawyer

Post by Weatherlawyer »

Sounds like a free meal is on the menu for the edmeister.

But why does it work/print in other browsers -IE 7 of all things?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Weatherlawyer wrote:But why does it work/print in other browsers -IE 7 of all things?

That page behaves identically for me in both browsers.

To test a page with frames, try this one: Google image result
motoki1

Re: How Do I Activate The "Print Frame"

Post by motoki1 »

I know this thread is old, but this might help those out there that get this behavior in their browser. If you want to print multiple pages and only one is coming out, and the frames choices are grayed out, there is a trick that worked for me. Try selecting all, then choosing "print selection only". This should work. Good luck!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

That's a good tip for situations where Firefox only shows page 1 of 3 (for instance) in the Print Preview window & only prints one page when it should print three, but it won't have any affect on non-frame webpages and the greyed-out Frames selection in the Native Print Dialog window like the OP is discussing. Like apples vs.oranges.

ttocsmij

Post by ttocsmij »

If one runs into a page where one really really wants to print part of the page but not the rest, try using Firebug to add the 'display:none;' CSS Style to any elements you DON'T want printed. I have had a great deal of success with this and it takes very little time once one is comfy with Firebug.

By extension, one could use Firebug to re-write some of the CSS on that page to get around the FF print bug (though this will require more than a passing familiarity with HTML and CSS). Enjoy! :-)
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!" - Mark Twain