[Ext] Context Search 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

ithinc wrote:Probably you have two conflicting extensions, which both manipulate the context menu. You'd better make a new profile to location the problem.

Nope, I tried it on a new profile with just Context Search and setting that extensions.contextsearch.hideStandardContextItem option to false, and it still does it. I think it is a Minefield problem. Can someone test it with the newest nightly?
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

mmortal03 wrote:
ithinc wrote:Probably you have two conflicting extensions, which both manipulate the context menu. You'd better make a new profile to location the problem.

Nope, I tried it on a new profile with just Context Search and setting that extensions.contextsearch.hideStandardContextItem option to false, and it still does it. I think it is a Minefield problem. Can someone test it with the newest nightly?

Yes, I tested it. It appeared the same as you have seen. I debug it and have found a function which Context Search will invoke when extensions.contextsearch.hideStandardContextItem=false does not exist in Minefield. It used to be in Firefox2. So this is the source of the problem. If you can, locate line 98 in contextsearch.js, change the line to

Code: Select all

engineName = isElementVisible(BrowserSearch.searchBar) ? ss.currentEngine.name : ss.defaultEngine.name;
. It should work. I tested it with b5pre.
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

Yep, that fixed it. Thanks!
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Mmm, sounds more nightly fun. I'll look at this soon, and hope we reach the Firefox 3 RC stage soon, so I can finalise extension builds.
Cococokie

Post by Cococokie »

Hey ben,

pls include a feature in the next update too! A feature that can modify the text size of the drop down. The amount of search engines are cluttering my context menu...

Something like this: (Small Font)
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

ithinc wrote:
mmortal03 wrote:

Yes, I tested it. It appeared the same as you have seen. I debug it and have found a function which Context Search will invoke when extensions.contextsearch.hideStandardContextItem=false does not exist in Minefield. It used to be in Firefox2. So this is the source of the problem. If you can, locate line 98 in contextsearch.js, change the line to

engineName = isElementVisible(BrowserSearch.searchBar) ? ss.currentEngine.name : ss.defaultEngine.name;
. It should work. I tested it with b5pre.

Will this eventually be needed to be added to Context Search permanently? I had the problem again when I updated to 0.4.2, and eventually remembered this thread, and had to go back in a manually change it again.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Cococokie: Probably not, however I may be able to provide you with a workaround shortly.

mmortal03: Yes, but I need to better understand what's going on and why the changes were made to Firefox. I'm looking at this tonight, thanks for the reminder.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Cococokie, add this to your userChrome.css (or Stylish with the XUL namespace):

.contextsearch-menuitem {
  font-size: smaller !important;
}

.contextsearch-menuitem .menu-iconic-left {
  display: none !important;
}

mmortal03: I've added the fix for 0.4.3. It will be released once I've checked backwards compatibility and investigated another issue reported via email.
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

BenBasson wrote:Cococokie, add this to your userChrome.css (or Stylish with the XUL namespace):

.contextsearch-menuitem {
  font-size: smaller !important;
}

.contextsearch-menuitem .menu-iconic-left {
  display: none !important;
}

mmortal03: I've added the fix for 0.4.3. It will be released once I've checked backwards compatibility and investigated another issue reported via email.

Excellent. Thanks a lot!
fuxxi

Re: [Ext] Context Search 0.4.3

Post by fuxxi »

Great extension! Thank You! But one question:

Is it possible to move the search directly to the main context menu without the "Search for" submenu? I tried using Menu Editor extension but that doesnt work. :(
heraldo

Post by heraldo »

It looks like the extension is not fetching the search engine name in the "search for" string. In the norwegian nb-NO locale, you get a string saying "søk på etter + selected text" while it should be "søk på [search engine name] etter + selected text. Is this a known issue? I didn't find any relevant talk when doing a quick search in this topic.
SeaLion

Post by SeaLion »

It just needs an icon imo, so it visually stands out and make it quicker for me.

Great extension btw, simple idea and very well done!
BG69FU

Post by BG69FU »

Any way to ad about:config in Context Search?

TIA
Floyd77

Post by Floyd77 »

Hi, this extension is a must for my daily Firefox usage, but I don't like this last change on version 0.6: "Added functionality so that you can click on the menu to search using the default engine"

Could you implement a hidden preference via about:config to disable it?

Thanks!
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

If you want this add-on to keep working in the future, please vote for this API proposal (although I don't know if some votes on that page will really be enough): https://webextensions.uservoice.com/for ... ch-plugins