Webmail Extension - Hotmail / Yahoo - Thread 3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
LenG58

Re: connection to server localhost timeout

Post by LenG58 »

I just checked and am able to send too. Still not able to receive.
ashtonaut

Post by ashtonaut »

I'm also getting the "Connection to localhost timed out" message with my Hotmail account. Started about 2 days ago.

Hotmail 1.2.14
Webmail 1.3.1
Thunderbird 2.0.0.12
jebowers87

Post by jebowers87 »

After this latest update to Webmail & Hotmail, I get localhost timed out and can not receive any mail from my hotmail account. Oddly enough, I can still send. Many of the posts suggest rolling back to earlier versions. This is a no go for me. I tried rolling back all the way to ground zero. I need some assistance or advice. I am running TB 2.0.0.12.

Please!, someone help!
MomofJBN

Post by MomofJBN »

Same thing here. "Connection to server localhost has timed out."

I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 with webmail 1.3.1 and webmail/hotmail 1.2.14 on a Vista machine with Windows firewall and AVG anit-virus.

Everything was working normally Sat night. Sunday morning I started getting the time out message, and I'm still getting it. I can send, strangely enough, but not receive. No problems accessing the internet.

I can get my mail directly from hotmail, so that's running OK.

Given the timing of the start of the problem, could this have anything to do with the change to daylight savings? (Even though I'm in a state that does not observe DST.)

I hope someone finds an answer.

Schenley
wally19

Same here.

Post by wally19 »

MomofJBN wrote:Same thing here. "Connection to server localhost has timed out."

I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 with webmail 1.3.1 and webmail/hotmail 1.2.14 on a Vista machine with Windows firewall and AVG anit-virus.

Everything was working normally Sat night. Sunday morning I started getting the time out message, and I'm still getting it. I can send, strangely enough, but not receive. No problems accessing the internet.

I can get my mail directly from hotmail, so that's running OK.

Given the timing of the start of the problem, could this have anything to do with the change to daylight savings? (Even though I'm in a state that does not observe DST.)

I hope someone finds an answer.

Schenley

My symptoms and system setup is exactly the same as above and I too am not able to download messages from hotmail as of today. Last time I downloaded messages was Friday.
darnatl

Post by darnatl »

I've identified my/the problem. It is AVG antivirus e-mail scanner. I disabled it (e-mail scanner) and was able to connect to my hotmail account and receive emails using thunderbird again. I enabled the e-mail scanner again and got the original error message: connection to local host timed out.
mikepapalima

Post by mikepapalima »

Same problem here - "Connection to server 127.0.0.1 timed out."

Vista,
Thunderbird V 2.0.0.12,
WebMail 1.2.1,
WebMail - Hotmail 1.2.14,
WebMail - Yahoo 1.3.2,
AVG Free 7.5.518
Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.18.309

Had been able to get Hotmail and Yahoo mail until about Mar 8. After that point was not able to get Hotmail or Yahoo mail, but was still able to receive Gmail.

However, I was still able to receive all mail on my Windows XP desktop with a nearly identical config (except using Zone Alarm Free Firewall).

When I disabled the AVG email scanner on my Vista computer as per the post above, I was receive both Hotmail and Yahoo mail again. For me it appears to be the AVG antivirus email scanner on Windows Vista that is the problem. Was this caused by one of the recent AVG updates?
darnatl

Post by darnatl »

That would be my guess...Saturday's avg update
LenG58

Post by LenG58 »

Ding! I disabled AVG's email scanning and am now able to receive my hotmail. Thanks darnatl.
WeeWillyW

Post by WeeWillyW »

Daifne wrote:Same thing seems to be happening with Yahoo accounts. Same time frame.

For what it is worth:
Just tried both here. Still working fine.

Used T-Bird/Yahoo to send to a Hotmail account. Took a couple minutes to arrive, but I think that is normal for Hotmail.

Used T-Bird/Hotmail to send to a Yahoo account. That took several minutes to arrive. Weird for email to do that, but with Hotmail it doesn't surprise me. It eventually arrived in the Yahoo inbox though.

Using AVG here. It is up to date. But NOT using it with all email. It is not used with either Hotmail or Yahoo.
MomofJBN

Post by MomofJBN »

Well, that's it. AVG seems to be the culprit. Guess I'll have to find time to bug their tech support. Arg.

Schenley
LenG58

Post by LenG58 »

I posted the problem we are having over at AVG's forums. I've been told...

"AVG Free program update 7.5.518 has been temporarily withdrawn & replaced by 7.5.516. This situation will be corrected shortly."

Guess a fix is on the way.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Hmmm. Disabling the scanning in AVG didn't help me. At least this isn't my busy account. ;-)
Swerve

Post by Swerve »

so my 2 hotmail accounts that I had in Thunderbird up and running for months now do not download messages. I get this error message when I hit 'Get Mail', "connection to server localhost timed out".

disabling the email scanning plugin in AVG Free fixed this issue. Hopefully they fix it soon.