Ubuntu 7.04/ 7.10 / 8.04/ 8.10 - After Installation Tips.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Recent IP redirect: Uncovered this problem for dial up users in areas of high FIOS or possibly DSL use.
Using the dhcp3 may pick up a UDP signal and switch your primary and secondary servers to the servers of the signal. I found not using the auto dialer in the Network manager alleviated this problem and using another method Like Gnome orMinicom or other modem control method.
This may be only particular to my suituation but it seems to have been corrected by not using the dhcp3 dialer for modems.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
tqft

Post by tqft »

I found dialup setup broken on most installs of ubuntu so far.

Solution:
manual - sudo pppconfig, Create connection etc

After that
right click on tool bar, Add to Panel, add the telephone icon, right click select Properties, in command add pon ppp0 [or whatever the name of the connection is you created beforehand is the name of one of the files in /etc/chatscripts].

If you want create another icon on the desktop with the command poff [hangs up the modem - no parameter required]
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Kaffeine plugin for Mozilla? ...leave alone. Seems to cause random crashes in Firefox.

As I found out, grrr. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
sergio eduardo
Folder@Home

Post by sergio eduardo »

Gone blond Frank ?
earther

Post by earther »

I also found that the dialup part Network Manager in Ubuntu is broken.

I sometimes use Gnome PPP and also have pon and poff launchers in a drawer on the panel. In addition I always launch with this command:

bash -c "pon & tail -f /var/log/messages"

That way I can see the log in the terminal as it is connecting.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Something to add to the PPP configuration comments. If you've left the dhcp3 and Network Manager intact make sure you disable Networking if using dial up with pppconfig or Gnome-ppp or other. Also watch out for UDP signals. Removing the Network Manager seems to help. It appears the UDP signals may be the cause of the Firestarter closures and once these signals are blocked the firewall GUI doesn't seem to fail. The PPPoE package also seems to contribute to the weakness and you may need to edit the files to close ethernet cards if they are not in use.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

Once you get the hang of it, you might have an opinion about it. Your development suggestions are wanted at http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/
earther

Post by earther »

Well, I finally upgraded to Gutsy using the alternate disk. I had to reconfigure xorg but that went smoothly. Currently downloading updates 24/7 (remember . . .dialup).

I have run into a problem with Firefox. It's crashing every time I try to post to a forum or reply to an email (had to boot XP to post this). I tried safemode, cleared cache, cookies and sessions but it's still a no-go.

I'm concerned because the Firefox upgrade is currently grayed out in Synaptic. What's up with that? I'm hoping the remaining downloads will fix things or is something else going on here? Do I need to uninstall to get the download to work?

Please help!
tqft

Post by tqft »

When downloads & subsequent update finished, if firefox is still playing up, open Synaptic, find firefox, right click select Mark for Reinstallation and hit Apply. Should fix it. If not let us now
steviex

Post by steviex »

Don't worry earther... by the time you get Gutsy sorted, Hardy will be out . :) hehe...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
earther

Post by earther »

Well, the upgrade downloads kinda put things back together. Firefox is no longer crashing and I am able to post text as usual. Whew.

However, FF is refusing to open links in a new window unless I use the ctrl key. All the correct boxes are ticked and TabKiller is in place.

Just noticed that ubufox extension was added (without notification) during the upgrade. I'm going to disable it to see if that's the source of the glitch.

Still have hours of downloads from various repos to complete . . .
steviex

Post by steviex »

All ubufox does, is let you install addons via the repositories. Its a new feature of Firefox for Gutsy.

If you go to Tools > Addons you will see an extra link at the bottom, Get Ubuntu addons, which takes you to a Synaptic Window to add Extensions.
Also you have three themes installed Human, Tango and Tangerine.... Tango is nice.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
ekmon1582
Folder@Home

Post by ekmon1582 »

Do you know a site that'll tell you how to install programs on Ubuntu? I don't get how to install things.
"You need to hide your money. So do what I do. I take my money and put it in the stock market... The next day it's gone, and no one knows where it is." - David Letterman
www.getfirefox.com
tqft

Post by tqft »

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ubunt ... =firefox-a
the 2nd link [psychocats]

or
http://ubuntuguide.org/

I am also sure there is an official howto linked from ubuntu.com
steviex

Post by steviex »

Installing the simple way.... Go to Applications > Add/Remove Programs
This gives this Dialogue Box...
The Applications are divided into sections for convenience...
We are going to install 7-zip.
Check the box next to the icon for the Application and click Apply Changes..
The computer will ask 'Do you really want to do this ?'
You will be prompted to enter the password you use to log on to the computer
Once you have entered that, the system will install the program
And you are done....

Read this too http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

You windows guys jealous yet....