Ubuntu 7.04/ 7.10 / 8.04/ 8.10 - After Installation Tips.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
ekmon1582
Folder@Home

Post by ekmon1582 »

Wow, thanks Seveix! I'm jealous... I'm forced to use Windows untill my Ubuntu CD's get here... which is in 4-6 weeks... but I spoze it'll pay off.
"You need to hide your money. So do what I do. I take my money and put it in the stock market... The next day it's gone, and no one knows where it is." - David Letterman
www.getfirefox.com
steviex

Post by steviex »

No worries.. :) In all cases, just click on HELP !!!!!! to get advice :)

Also because 98 % of the software you need, is in the repositories, accessed through the method I described, you can be sure that the software is safe, and up to scratch.
Also the system takes care of all the tidying up, and deals with updates (including Firefox & Thunderbird) so no tedious messing about is needed.

I assume you are on dial up, yes ?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
frcan

Post by frcan »

steviex wrote:You windows guys jealous yet....

Yesss, very jealous. Never could get my modem to work with Gutsy, even after buying a new driver from Linuxant. Soooo, stuck with windoze Image
ekmon1582
Folder@Home

Post by ekmon1582 »

^^ That's nice. :) Nope, high speed.

^ D:
"You need to hide your money. So do what I do. I take my money and put it in the stock market... The next day it's gone, and no one knows where it is." - David Letterman
www.getfirefox.com
steviex

Post by steviex »

^ Why don't you just download Ubuntu and then burn it to a bootable CD ?

^^ Hardy Heron (8.04) is out next month.... Maybe that might have better support...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
ekmon1582
Folder@Home

Post by ekmon1582 »

^ I did, I made myself a LiveCD. But when I run it, and then take it out, no files or settings are saved. I'm gonna set it up with VMWare... I spoze I could make a disc, hmm, do you think that I could set up Ubuntu on VMWare with a LiveCD?
www.getfirefox.com
steviex

Post by steviex »

The best thing to do is hop over to the Ubuntu site, and look through the documentation there, and maybe ask on the Ubuntu forum.
http://www.ubuntu.com/support

frcan

Post by frcan »

^^^ There is a possibility that wireless high speed internet will be available in my region soon. I know nothing about wireless high speed. Hopefully it would solve my problem.
earther

Post by earther »

frcan wrote:. . . Never could get my modem to work with Gutsy, even after buying a new driver from Linuxant. Soooo, stuck with windoze Image

You really should invest in a serial modem if you're serious about Linux. When I finally switched to Ubuntu last summer, that was the first thing I did. Makes life sooo much easier. :)

The downloads are still a killer though. I just upgraded to Gutsy on Monday and have spent all my waking hours for the last 3+ days retrieving probably 400MB of upgrades/updates. It has been quite an ordeal.
ekmon1582
Folder@Home

Post by ekmon1582 »

^^ If you have high speed yes it should work, my uncle had the same problem (but he's stuck with windows).

^^^ I posted on the Ubuntu forums (been ages since I logged in there). I want my penguin already ^^.
www.getfirefox.com
earther

Post by earther »

ekmon1582 wrote:^ I did, I made myself a LiveCD. But when I run it, and then take it out, no files or settings are saved. I'm gonna set it up with VMWare... I spoze I could make a disc, hmm, do you think that I could set up Ubuntu on VMWare with a LiveCD?

1. You can save your settings from a LiveCD session on a removable drive and use them next session.

2. Before I upgraded to Gutsy, I installed it on VirtualBox to check out the differences with Feisty. I was able to customize all my settings and then just transfer them to the upgrade. Helped to smooth out the transition - there was less 'catch-up' to do.
frcan

Post by frcan »

@ earther

Yes, I know about the serial modem. Believe it not, I couldn't find one. I am told that it's obsolete around here. I could order one on the Internet but am reluctant to do so. Hopefully Wi-Fi will be here very soon. Maybe not the best thing, but surely better than dial-up.
earther

Post by earther »

frcan wrote:Yes, I know about the serial modem. Believe it not, I couldn't find one. I am told that it's obsolete around here. I could order one on the Internet but am reluctant to do so. Hopefully Wi-Fi will be here very soon. Maybe not the best thing, but surely better than dial-up.

Don't buy into the hype! Some may consider modems 'obsolete' for computers but many people are still on dialup and serial modems are still in use to switch a lot of infrastructure equipment so will be around for a long time. There are some serial modems available in stores locally but not many. I initially got a USRobotics 5610 and since then have been collecting serial modems from various used computer stores - usually about $5 a pop. I now have a collection of both internal and serial modems that will keep me going for a long time to come.

There is a fancy TW cable maybe 50 ft from my house but I really don't want to do business with them. It's a matter of principle! Besides, I like the $4.95 mo. cost of dialup. Yeah, I'm cheap . . . ;)
Last edited by earther on March 21st, 2008, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ekmon1582
Folder@Home

Post by ekmon1582 »

Could someone help me, I'm gonna burn a disc, but I think I have autorun disabled on my computer. Anyone know how to enable autorun on Windows XP?
www.getfirefox.com
earther

Post by earther »

If I remember correctly . . . try right click > properties for options.