official win32 20040114 is out - latest 0.8

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
hvymtl

official win32 20040114 is out - latest 0.8

Post by hvymtl »

pzesar

Post by pzesar »

great!
with all the checkins from the last days this looks like a very, very exciting build!
downloading...
Touch-Money

Post by Touch-Money »

ive been using the zips since .4 but i am curious and would like to try the installer. is it ready for prime time? should i try her out?
Kasteo

Post by Kasteo »

Touch-Money wrote:ive been using the zips since .4 but i am curious and would like to try the installer. is it ready for prime time? should i try her out?

Yes, I just try the installer the first time in yesterday build and seem it work just fine. I would say give it a try. :D
Noia 2.0 theme for Firefox & Thunderbird
- Compaq Presario 2190US, 2.4GHz, 1024MB DDR RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HDD.
- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, Gecko/20040925 Firefox/0.10 (MOOX M3)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Touch-Money wrote:ive been using the zips since .4 but i am curious and would like to try the installer. is it ready for prime time? should i try her out?

Works fine IF you do NOT touch the "Safe Update" (or whatever that box says, I don't recall exactly at this time), for if you enable that option, you'll find the install quite unsafe.

The installer works so nicely that, earlier today, I ran the latest nightly installer without touching my existing install. Once I had installed the new version, my plugins, search plugins, and Googlebar were just as they had been with the previous install.

One caveat, which may well be caused by my using TBE: When I use the installer to update, I then have to start Firebird four times. The first two times the Personal Toolbar Folder does not appear, and when I click on the upper-right-hand "X", I get a "Program is not responding" error; the third time, no toolbar, but also no error message when I click on the "X", and the fourth time, all is well. This may not even really be a update-by-install problem, as I've seen it once in a while when Firebird has crashed. It only takes a few moments to overcome the proble, so I don't worry about it, nor do I post ranting messages about it, nor do I file a bug, and so forth, and so on, and on, and on, and .....
Touch-Money

Post by Touch-Money »

Well just got it installed works fine. What is the Safe Update supposed to do?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Touch-Money wrote:Well just got it installed works fine. What is the Safe Update supposed to do?

It is supposed to update Firebird safely....

Seriously, I'm sorry, I don't remember. I know that when the official installer was first released, it was deleting lots of files, causing quite a bit of grief, and the developer(s) found that not checking that option kept the problem from arising.

From http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/ : "Installer problem: 228672 - Installer deletes any non-Firebird files in the installation directory (if you check the "Safe Upgrade" box, which is unchecked by default on the branch)."
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

I t wa supposed to delete your old installation. But since people were used to the installer and zipped files doing their thing in a subfolder off herever you were, people tended to point it close the the root. The installer went ahead and deleted files in the directory (not the subdirectory or subfolder) it was pointed at and some people lost all program files or worse.
Toxikk

Post by Toxikk »

is this build tagged 0.7+ with 1.6?
ghost dog

Post by ghost dog »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040114 Firebird/0.7+ ;)
deviltje

Post by deviltje »

Is this of the trunk of of the branch ??
On the information highway, you're roadkill
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Nice

Post by joeg »

I just downloaded and installed Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040114 Firebird/0.7+

from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/f ... dSetup.exe (6332 KB, 14.01.04, 12:04:00).

I'm very happy. I had been using Mr. Ebrahim's optimized builds, and then went to the official build of 02 Jan. I've been waiting impatiently for something new, and it looks like this one was worth waiting for.

I used my old profile, but installed into a new folder on my D drive; I got bitten by the uninstaller snake back in December. Having said that, I've installed and uninstalled a couple of official builds since then, and I have to say, the developers seem to have got rid of that horror.

Anyway, this build looks really good.

Thanks to all involved.
Joe
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

John Liebson wrote:

Works fine IF you do NOT touch the "Safe Update" (or whatever that box says, I don't recall exactly at this time), for if you enable that option, you'll find the install quite unsafe.

The installer works so nicely that, earlier today, I ran the latest nightly installer without touching my existing install. Once I had installed the new version, my plugins, search plugins, and Googlebar were just as they had been with the previous install.

One caveat, which may well be caused by my using TBE: When I use the installer to update, I then have to start Firebird four times. The first two times the Personal Toolbar Folder does not appear, and when I click on the upper-right-hand "X", I get a "Program is not responding" error; the third time, no toolbar, but also no error message when I click on the "X", and the fourth time, all is well. This may not even really be a update-by-install problem, as I've seen it once in a while when Firebird has crashed. It only takes a few moments to overcome the proble, so I don't worry about it, nor do I post ranting messages about it, nor do I file a bug, and so forth, and so on, and on, and on, and .....

Just ran this on an NT 4.0 machine.

Never got to the part about "safe update". It just went ahead and did its own thing.

WHAT THE HECK?????????

ALSO, IT INSTALLED INTO C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREBIRD INSTEAD OF C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA.ORG\MOZILLA FIREBIRD.

WHAT IS UP WITH THIS F'N INSTALLER THING ANYHOW?????

ANYBODY?????????????????????
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

PLUS, I CAN'T GET JAVA TO RUN FOR CRAP. I TRIED THE REGISTRY PATCH, AND THEN RERAN JAVA INSTALLER TWICE AND THE .XPI THING ONCE, AND STILL A NO-GO.

SO, WHO'S PAYING ATTENTION HERE? SOMEBODY WANTED US TO TEST THE INSTALLER, THERE YOU GO.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ghost dog

Post by ghost dog »

deviltje wrote:Is this of the trunk of of the branch ??

the branch