What happened to AMO!!!!

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Anthony A

What happened to AMO!!!!

Post by Anthony A »

Why did they butcher the addons site? It's a total joke now IMO. Very crappy to navigate. Used to go to the site click on newest and see all the newest/updated themes and addons. Now there is no option to do that. There isn't even a section for themes any more. They are mixed in with addons in a category called Themes And Appearance. It looks like they found the biggest retard they could at Microsoft and hired him over to design the site. Very user unfriendly. How do you look for the newest and updated themes and addons now.
mainlymot

Post by mainlymot »

Anthony A
Couldn't agree more! Well....there is a themes section....with a date tab.....but good luck finding out what date was that the update happened (see edit below). There is nowhere to find what FF version a theme will work with! One theme says "Update Firefox to use this add-on", well I clicked it and it took me to the 2.0.0.13 download page. Uh....I'm using 2.0.0.13 right now! How can they put a theme at the top of the "Ratings" with one person reviewing it?
It's like finding your way in a foreign land. I'M LOST!!!
Tom

Edit: You can find the date at the bottom of the individual ad-ons page by expanding "Advanced Details"
Last edited by mainlymot on March 27th, 2008, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Not our problem folks.
http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Try giving them a piece of your mind on Hendrix
http://hendrix.mozilla.org/
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
mainlymot

Post by mainlymot »

malliz
We know it's not your problem. But, this forum is where we can communicate with other Mozilla users and find out what they are thinking as well as expressing our own opinions. Thanks for the links.
Thank you,
Tom
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Yes I fully understand :)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
alterna

Re: What happened to AMO!!!!

Post by alterna »

Anthony A wrote: How do you look for the newest and updated themes and addons now.

Click "Alerts and Updates' in the Categories list, then "Last Updated First" from "See All Alerts and Updates" in the lower right.
Anthony A

Post by Anthony A »

alterna wrote:Click "Alerts and Updates' in the Categories list, then "Last Updated First" from "See All Alerts and Updates" in the lower right.

Alerts And Updates is not what you think it is. It is a category of extensions. If you click "Last Updated First" you get the last updated of that category. It's the same for all the extension categories. There is no central "Last Updated" so you can just click and see what has been updated and when for ALL categories of extensions.

To say this is asinine is an understatement. This is something I expect and get from Microsoft. Completely ill thought out and moronic reasoning. I am literally lost over there now. Not because it's different but because it's lacking the info I need and want. How the hell can you have a site with thousands of addons and themes and not think people would want to know what is updated? They have a section for "Most Popular" addons and "Recommended" addons but not updated. They used to. The same people who designed this atrocity of a site must have been involved in the design of Firefox 3's UI. Very stupid how they moved the home button. Very Microsoftish. No wonder I am spending more and more time with Maxthon 2 these days.
Last edited by Anthony A on March 27th, 2008, 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anthony A

Post by Anthony A »

malliz wrote:Not our problem folks.
http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Try giving them a piece of your mind on Hendrix
http://hendrix.mozilla.org/

I understand but I wanted to see if anybody else was feeling as I do or if I missed some link on the page that had the info I wanted and it would be pointed out here. I guess I also hoped that the morons who made the decisions for the addon site might have enough sense to come here and see whats being said.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Anthony A wrote:I guess I also hoped that the morons who made the decisions for the addon site might have enough sense to come here and see whats being said.

The people who run the site are sort of sour on coming here. I don't know why.
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

It's a typical 'Noobs.. sorry I mean "not so advanced computer users" will love it (more eye-candy, yay!), geeks will hate it. HATE HATE HATE it.' thing.

"This add-on is for older versions of Firefox" - So AMO is almost useless now for us Minefield users? Awesome.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

At last count about 60% of the most popular addons were not updated for Firefox 3 because the browser is still undergoing some radical internal changes. That part at least is not the fault of AMO.
Don Corleone

Post by Don Corleone »

VanillaMozilla wrote:
Anthony A wrote:I guess I also hoped that the morons who made the decisions for the addon site might have enough sense to come here and see whats being said.

The people who run the site are sort of sour on coming here. I don't know why.

Especially, it seems, fligtar who redesigned AMO like this. Like you, Mr Vanilla, I have no idea why.
Anthony A

Post by Anthony A »

After spending some more time on the site I am able to find what I need but it requires many clicks to do so.

Go to the "most popular" addons section and click "view all". Than it will list all addons by popularity which I assume is download total. Than click "date" tab and they will be listed by newest. If you want to know the actual date it was released/updated you must click on the addon to get to it's page and scroll to the bottom to "advanced details" and click "expand". Than you get the date and previous versions etc. Do this all over again for themes. Total circle jerk of a procedure to get what I consider needed info and was done with one or two clicks before.

Simple solution. Have a section right on the home page called "newest" or "updated". One click and there you are. They have one for " Most Popular" and "We Recommend" Also provide the date and some version compatibility info right there so we don't have to drill 50 clicks in to get basic info.
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

Passion is always good but mind your language Anthony.
Scorzonera

Post by Scorzonera »

Anthony A wrote:(...) the design of Firefox 3's UI. Very stupid how they moved the home button.

Are you saying the button cannot be moved from it's default location...?
(I haven't tested FF3, I'm waiting for the final.)