2.0.0.13 Maxing out my processor

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Chucklez

2.0.0.13 Maxing out my processor

Post by Chucklez »

I recently updated to 2.0.0.13 and ever since then have experienced problems with FF hanging after only being open ~10 minutes. This is a result of FF using > 99% of my processor usage, and 250,000-400,000 k of memory. In the older versions, I would have the memory problem if FF was kept open all night, but this occuring after a very short period of time. My home systems are doing the same after updating as well. The extensions I am running are:

Colorful tabs 2.0.10
Colorzilla 1.0
Download Statusbar 0.9.6.1
Forecast Fox Enhanced 0.9.5.2
Minimize To Tray
Sirius Player 1.1
Wootwatcher 1.0.1

Theme - Sliverskin 1.2

All extensions are up to date. When I try to close FF, I receive the 'program not responding' error box. Hit 'End Now' and then I can restart FF again.

How to fix this? Getting very iiratating!

Quick question, if I was to install the newest Beta (I know its not done yet, but wouldnt mind giving feedback), will my extensions work on it? Can live without those, especially the min to tray (at work) and the siriusplayer.
Patk6

Post by Patk6 »

In the past, Forecastfox was one cause of this.
Also see here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage

Most extensions work in the Firefox 3 betas, but most require overriding the compatibility check. See here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_add-ons
Some don't work at all. And Firefox 3 is still months away from being released, it isn't recommended for average users.
chucklez

Post by chucklez »

Now that you mention it, forecast fox says there is a thunderstorm above us, yet it hasnt rained all day......
EALConsulting

Post by EALConsulting »

I'm having the same problem on 2 PCs

Installed Add-ons

Copy Plain Text 0.3.3
IE Tab 1.3.3.20070528
Map+ 1.1.0
McAfee SiteAdvisor 26.5
Web Developer 1.1.5
Woot Watcher 1.0.1

Looks like Woot Watcher is the only one we have in common. I'll try disabling it and see what happens.
Damage Inc.

Post by Damage Inc. »

I think I've always had that problem with Firefox.
That I would just leave it on while doing other stuff, and all of a sudden the computer would be slow.
And when I check the processes it appears to be Firefox filling up the CPU-usage.
But what I always do is just restart Firefox and it's normal again.

Of course, this is not handy when you're in the middle of browsing and need to keep track of pages.

By the way, I never have much more than a different skin.
Not really any plug-ins or anything, I might have some installed, but I don't really use any extras.
EALConsulting

Post by EALConsulting »

Damage, I've always had the problem too but to a much lessor degree. Usually by afternoon I'd have to restart Firefox because it had commandeered most of my memory but since upgrading it's been way worse.

By the way disabling Woot Watcher seems to have helped a lot.
Chucklez

Post by Chucklez »

Well, forecast fox IS NOT the problem. It is still happening. Guys, you have a problem with 2.0.0.13, as all the problems on these forums show. Im reverting back to 12. Everything seemed to run fine then.
fuzzyone

Post by fuzzyone »

I'm having the same problem. There is definitely something wrong with .13.
Harrald

Post by Harrald »

Could the problem be the "Woot-off" that is going on? I shut ForecastFox and Woot watcher. Things seem to be a little better now. I have had problems all day on two separate computers since booting them this morning.
BarryII

It could be WootWatcher

Post by BarryII »

A co-worker and I are experiencing the same problem on two different machines. We are both running WootWatcher 1.0.1 so maybe that's it. There happens to be a Woot Off going today, which can cause that add-on to refresh more often so maybe that's adding to the problem.

I'm going to disable it for the day and see if it helps.

-Barry
ChrisLSU

Post by ChrisLSU »

I was having the same problem - FF running fine for a while, then I'd lock my computer and leave for 5-10 minutes, and when I came back it's mem usage had almost tripled and was sucking down 99% of the CPU.

And I've got WootWatcher as well. I found this thread, disabled WW, restarted FF, let it run for a few, left for 5-10 minutes, and now I've returned and the problem has disappeared.

Has anybody contacted the WW dev to maybe look into a possible problem with v13?
fuzzyone

Post by fuzzyone »

I've got WootWatcher too. I think we may be on to something here.
Chucklez

Post by Chucklez »

No wonder i cant ever get a BoC.

But still, I had no problem up until the update to 13, and I also began experiencing this problem yesterday mid-late afternoon, if I remember correctly. And as I type this, my FF just maxed out again.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Ok folks. Try this http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode . If the problem goes away it is an extension or theme. Siteadvisor, forecast fox are the most likely could be others.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
nixon66

Post by nixon66 »

WootWatcher was the culprit for me exactly.

I was having the problem today where all of a sudden at 1 hour on the dot Firefox 2.0.0.13 would zoom to 100% usage, and require a restart to respond again. Then 1 hour later it would happen all over again. In previous versions of Firefox this hasn't been an issue, but disabling the WootWatcher 1.01 and now I've been up and running for 2 hours here with no problem.

Thanks for the help all.