Move address cards between address books - how?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
velociraptor

Move address cards between address books - how?

Post by velociraptor »

I want to move all the entries from my "collected addresses" book to the "personal addresses" book. However, I simply cannot find out how to do this. The edit context menu has copy/cut greyed out after I select the messages to be moved, and drag and drop does not seem to work either. How can I do this? Any ideas?
(I am using build 2002111108/linux if this is of relevance)
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Re: Move address cards between address books - how?

Post by Alex Bishop »

Velociraptor wrote:I want to move all the entries from my "collected addresses" book to the "personal addresses" book. However, I simply cannot find out how to do this. The edit context menu has copy/cut greyed out after I select the messages to be moved, and drag and drop does not seem to work either. How can I do this? Any ideas?
(I am using build 2002111108/linux if this is of relevance)

Well, on Windows, this works for me: click on the first entry in Collected Addresses, scroll down to the last and Shift+Click on it. All the entries should now be selected. Drag the entries from the list pane to the Personal Address Book. This should copy all the addresses. Go back to Collected Addresses and delete all the entries.
Alex
velociraptor

Ouch ...

Post by velociraptor »

It seems that drag and drop *does* copy the cards. However, when dragging to the destination folder, the destination folder does not get highlighted (like e.g. when you d&d messages), so I assumed it would not work (it does show a message in the status bar though). I would d&d also have expected to *move*, not copy, cards. Since I tried this several times, I have now multiple copies of the same cards in my personal toolbar.

So I think it is a bug that the destination folder is not highlighted, it is a bug that d&d does a copy, and it is a bug that the copy/cut/paste options in the edit menu are not working. Agree?
gpermant

Re: Ouch ...

Post by gpermant »

[quote="velociraptor"]It seems that drag and drop *does* copy the cards. However, when dragging to the destination folder, the destination folder does not get highlighted (like e.g. when you d&d messages), so I assumed it would not work (it does show a message in the status bar though). I would d&d also have expected to *move*, not copy, cards. Since I tried this several times, I have now multiple copies of the same cards in my personal toolbar.
[/quote]

What's worse: drag&drop SEEMS to also copy the mailing lists. But in fact, in the destination address directory, the lists are empty, i.e. they contain none of the addresses from the original list.
That is indeed a bug! I found it in Mozilla 1.7.7.
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

gpermant

... but when is the "old bug" gonna be fixed?

Post by gpermant »

It's nice to know this is an "Old bug for an old thread".
But what can one do when the Bugzilla says the bug has been assigned to
one Mark Banner <bugzilla@standard8.demon.co.uk>, but nothing has been done about it since 2002-08-28?
billcoffin

Re: Move address cards between address books - how?

Post by billcoffin »

Even worse, it's still a bug and very annoying. I have so many lists that I really need to use books, like folders, to organize them.